2016 Hunting Pictures

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Post your 2016 successful hunts here.
Good luck this season.

JD338

Started out the new year, Jan 2, on the right footing. Glen Morovitz custom Pre 64 M70 in 257 Roberts pushing the 115 BT to 2965 in Nosler cases. Dropped this young lady in the late morning from 220 yds with the 1st shot tight in behind the left shoulder. Turning towards me a bit I dropped 2 more into her left shoulder, breaking the shoulder and going on into the chest. She went all of 20 ft.

Alan

2016%20Mitigation%20cow%20elk%20hero%20pic_zpso0q611gu.jpg

Beautiful elk and beautiful RIFLE. Sounds like that 257 worked perfect!

Any comments on the 115 BT? Pass through or recovered Bullets?

Congrats on your elk.

Wish I had more to report on the bullets. Used the gutless method so no internal autopsie. No pass through/exit but I could tell the 2 hit the shoulder busted it up pretty good; left foreleg all floppy and stuff. Once I pulled the front shoulder off I could tell the bullets, all 3, did make it into the chest cavity. No fragments in or around the shoulder nor on the surface of the rib cage.

Alan

Impressive shooting Alan. 3 shots in the boiler room of an Elk?!!!!! Nice! Love them .25's. When are the tenderloins ready??? :) Congrats. CL

Congrats on starting out the new year so well. The dog certainly approves..........

Wonderful way to start the New Year! Congratulations on a fine elk. For sure, the Bob worked to perfection!

Congratulations on your cow elk. The 257 Roberts 115 gr BT is an impressive combination.

JD338

Very nice. Thank you for the report back on the bullets. Always interested in that sorta stuff. Those 115 BTs just have an excellent track record around here.

This was last Sunday. It took awhile to get it done but we limited on 21 greenheads and 1 goose. There is a little island right across the water and that is where our blind is. There is a group of 4 islands here. When we fired the first shots we spook close to 3000 birds out from between the other islands. It was pretty cool to see the sky turn black for a bit with birds. As cold as it is it takes awhile for the birds to come back off the fields to water so it makes it a bit slow at times waiting for them.

Attachments

• 1-10-16duckhunt.jpg
    1-10-16duckhunt.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 13,490
Awesome hunt!!! Man, I'd love to start hunting ducks again! That's motivating right there.

Now thats laying it onto them, impressive shooting, heck of a day duck hunting and some fine table fare!
We used to hunt Eiders down on the coast here in Maine, when we had a big day like yours , if someone asked how we had made out on the ducks? My Dad would reply " We Shellaced Em"......... (y)

One of the ducks I hit and it turn straight up gaining distance with each shot. With my last shot it fell. That duck took a amazingly long time to fall from the sky. I know it was 80+yds up on the final shot. I just bought some Remington Hypersonic shells for this season and have been totally impressed with their performance. Even the goose was dispatched a long ways out with a head shot while it tried to swim away. It took a bunch of running down one of the islands, with big bulky waders, and 4 shots but I still got it done. I got lucky that he decided not to swim directly away from me to extend the distance but rather he paralleled the island I was on. He squawked at the dogs as they tried to grab him initially and dove into the heavy current of the river. They couldn't catch him until he was dispatched.

An hour or so into the hunt we noticed we couldn't call ducks away from other real birds that were at the end of one of the islands. So I took off to spook them and as I was wading across the river I spotted 4-500 birds on the water. We backed up and took off down the closer island to try and sneak on them. That island is pretty devoid of cover so we were unable to get very close before they spooked but we did manage to get 3 birds that jumped from the shore of the island we were on. A friend of mine unloaded his gun on the mass of birds only to hear his shot rattle off their bodies due to the distance.

Shot this opening morning of the MI late Spring Turkey Season behind my house with my Matthews Mission xbow and a NAP 100 gr Gobbler Getter broad head at 30 yards. He has a 10.5" beard and 1.0" spurs.
DSCN10191.jpg

JD338

Congratulations, Jim. That looks like a beautiful longbeard. And with your crossbow, yet! Super!

Death in the tall grass........ works both ways though! For this youngster his hunting days are over!

I watched a Turkey making his way across my property by himself pretty darn fast this evening. By the time I reached for my Binoculars on the coffee table the Turkey was already gone! So I walked over to the East side of the house to look for him on the other side...... only to see what I thought a Bob Cat at first in the tall grass, and then realized it's a Coyote! Well the M4 is always at the ready, so I ran down stairs to look out the front door for him? Sure enough he was standing there not more then 30 yards from house! I waited for him to move before unlocking the door, and then again when he walked behind the huge Cedar tree I cracked the door open just enough until I could hear a slight squeak. He paused behind the front porch post blocking my view, but his Turkey was getting away!

And away the 77 grain SMK went at less then 20 yards away when he stepped into view!

Zuri smelled him this morning on the other side of the house, he must have been eating the mice I've been getting everyday in the garage and tossing out over there? A dozen less mice and one less Coyote that obviously hadn't been doing his job with the mice population around here? Makes me think....... do I have to hunt down and kill everything that's a nuisance? It's not like they're good table fare!

Attachments

• P1050167.jpg
    P1050167.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12,095
Thanks Mike! These guys no longer howl around here anymore, between the Wolves and myself over the last few years have put an end to their speech therapy. Kind of sad, but so is being eaten alive by a Coyote if you're on their menu. The small game animals around here have always been on the small side for this area IMO, so much so I don't even hunt small game around my place.

Back