2017 Hunting Pictures

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Post your 2017 Hunting Pictures here.
Good Luck to all this season!

JD338

It was a rough hunt in UT. We left at 7:15pm on Wednesday night and got to Ogden, UT at about midnight. It snowed pretty hard for the last 2 hours of the trip so we spent the night in Ogden. I ended up falling asleep about 1:30am and woke up to my alarm at 5:30. We got loaded up for the hour and a half drive to our hunting area. We got there about 45 minutes after shooting light but there were elk everywhere so that didn't matter much. We spotted about 40-50 and had to hike in the access road about a miles in a 12-16" of snow to get to them. A few shots latter at 600yds and my buddy and I were done. It took all of about an hour and a half. Then the work begins. We cut up mine and hauled the fronts and back straps out the first trip. I called Utah Division of Wildlife Resources and they said they would get up access through the gate to retrieve them. Well the biologist took about 2 1/2 hours to call us back, we were actually just about to walk into Walmart to buy kids snow sled to drag them out when he did (we forgot to bring ours from home), but he got us access. The UTV had a rough time with the snow depth and conditions. We had to hike my hind quarters out about 3/8 of a miles because we didn't want to risk driving down into the draw where she was. We got that done and got my buddies elk quartered and skinned just as the sun was going down. Due to the weight of the elk in the UTV I had to walk back out most of the way but we hit the truck at about 5:15pm. We got loaded and on the road right at 6pm. I hit my door step at 12:15am this morning. It was a busy 29 hours but I'd do it again tomorrow if I could :mrgreen: .

Attachments

• 2017cowelkUT2.jpg
    2017cowelkUT2.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 13,707
  • 2017cowelkUT.jpg
    2017cowelkUT.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 13,707
Well done for you two. Congratulations on tagging two fine animals. Now, for some rest before hitting the work again.

The reason I put us in there is because the 2014 hunter reports had the average days hunted per person as 1 and the season ran really late. I figured that was pretty much a slam dunk and it was. In our case it was about .0625 days hunted for both of us or .15 days of actually daylight hours. My buddies cow was a big one too. 4 quarters skinned but on the bone were 200lbs. The front legs had the lower leg removed at the knee also. That's about 150lbs of meat just from the quarters. That's pushing the size of most raghorn bull elk.

The biologist said we might be lucky we came when when did because they were doing a helicopter count today and they would probably be running the elk all over and most likely further from the roads. He said there was about 3-400 head of elk in the area where we were.

Overall it was a pretty good season. 3 elk (2 bulls and a cow) and a antelope for me, a cow elk and a cow moose for my wife, a cow and a bull elk plus a antelope for my hunting buddy, and a cow elk for my dad. It started August 1st and ended yesterday. There were a few ducks mixed in there too. I hope next season is just as good and my buddy from Seattle actually hits a bull this year plus my hunting buddy and I get moose in AK. I don't think we'll put in for UT for 2017 but we might. We had a good time down there even though it was quick.

Nice looking cow t, congratulations.

JD338

Congratulations on the elk!!!! (y)

My son and I spent the afternoon with the dog, and bagged four pheasant. Found five, missed one.

Excellent! That is a fine bag of pheasant. Congratulations to the three of you.

Way to go Nathan! That's awesome buddy! You crushed the elk this Fall.

Man I cannot wait for elk season.

My future huntress' first elk hunt. Her preschool was closed due to inclement weather so we went elk hunting. This was on a damage tag on our farm. 125 yards with my Supergrade .270 and 130 Grain Ballistic Tips over 60 grains of H4831SC at around 3,050 fps. She was a trooper and helped me quarter and pack her out (although it was not a long pack). One shot, went about 30 yards and tipped over. This is the 6th elk I've taken with this combo and it is the furthest any have gone. Really like this load/combo. I bought Ava a tang safety Ruger in 7x57, can't wait for her to get some years under her belt so I can pack her elk out.

IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3283.JPG

That's awesome buddy! Too darned cool. Congrats to you and your daughter.

IdahoCTD":2y9nizk3 said:
Overall it was a good season. 3 elk (2 bulls and a cow) and a antelope for me, a cow elk and a cow moose for my wife, a cow and a bull elk plus a antelope for my hunting buddy, and a cow elk for my dad. It started August 1st and ended yesterday. There were a few ducks mixed in there too. I hope next season is just as good and my buddy from Seattle actually hits a bull this year plus my hunting buddy and I get moose in AK. I don't think we'll put in for UT for 2017 but we might. We had a good time down there even though it was quick.

Wow! Congrats! How many freezers do you own????

Palouser, nicely done! I miss those days when my girls were that young. That 7x57 should be the ticket for her. I started my daughter with the 120 BT's at a modest velocity in her 7mm-08. It's proven to be a great bullet.

lefty315":1fysn57x said:
Palouser, nicely done! I miss those days when my girls were that young. That 7x57 should be the ticket for her. I started my daughter with the 120 BT's at a modest velocity in her 7mm-08. It's proven to be a great bullet.

Thanks! It's a fun but exhausting time, which I'm sure you remember well. You have read my mind, that was my exact load I plan to work up when the time is right!

Palouser":2lcjdlqz said:
IdahoCTD":2lcjdlqz said:
Overall it was a good season. 3 elk (2 bulls and a cow) and a antelope for me, a cow elk and a cow moose for my wife, a cow and a bull elk plus a antelope for my hunting buddy, and a cow elk for my dad. It started August 1st and ended yesterday. There were a few ducks mixed in there too. I hope next season is just as good and my buddy from Seattle actually hits a bull this year plus my hunting buddy and I get moose in AK. I don't think we'll put in for UT for 2017 but we might. We had a good time down there even though it was quick.

Wow! Congrats! How many freezers do you own????

I have 2 but I gave away all 3 elk I shot this year. We kept the cow elk and moose my wife shot.

Back