alaska help

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
so i come home from work today and the wife informs me that in november 8-14 i will be in alaska hunting sitka blacktails. heres what i need help with 30 cal solids prefer 165 to 180 for my buddies 300 bee, we get to shoot fox and i dont wanna blow them in half. secondly i have a sweetheart of a 280, enough for deer but it may be a tad light for mr. brown, again looking for 7mm solids. or just take my 338 ultra load up some 300 gr. thumpers and not worry to much about mr. brown. the last thing i want to encounter is mr. brown with a deer on my back and a small rifle. info is greatly apprecited.

Don't plan around a bear experience, take your 280 use a decent bullet, work up a trailboss load for your 300 bee and use standard hunting bullets. Even a solid from a 300 will pop a fox like a balloon. Speed is your enemy in saving hides.

Why not just take a rimfire with you.

Plan on using a 140-150gr for deer and take 5 175 partitions with you if your concerned about packing meat.

At the end of the day no amount of firepower will equal a thimble full of situational awareness and common sense.

Pick up some bear spray as well. Situational awareness is key to bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take that 280 for the deer, keep your head on about bears and take a shotgun for sea ducks with some "T" for foxes...good for 60 yards or so out of a full choke and won't destroy it.

Any big game centerfire will explode a fox on impact regardless of bullet type. Trail Boss loads work well too.

Good point hodge man.

The 17 HMR is the best fox cartridge ever built

Tell us more about your trip plans.
I like the shotgun idea as well, Ducks and ptarmigan eat better than fox:)

Thebear_78":3077eoff said:
The 17 HMR is the best fox cartridge ever built

Very much so- I really like the little 17HMR for that kind of thing- lynx too. I also think in that role the new 17WSM could be a real standout cartridge.

My predator gun is a .223 and I've got to admit- on thin skinned foxes it's too much gun- even with FMJs if they're close enough.

Str8meat- depending where you're going...give some real thought to deep sea fishing as well. I'm hoping to be in Kodiak in November myself, but I'm likely taking a bow.

Bear_78 gave you rock solid info there.
You are alot more apted to have bear problems
At your camp than packing ( though that makes
A more exciting story) Back in my time, we used to give
Them a "dust up" with the shotgun n #6s from about
40 yds right in the keyster, if they started making a nuisance of themselves. They will jump into the air and squeel like a pig, and you wont see them again. They will be fine but wiser about people and a camp.
Nowadays they would fly in a 3 million dollar turbine rotorcraft in stealth mode, 6 men in black uniforms, would repel out ,with face shields, and helmets and arrest you for shooting a bear in the ass......... Take away every license you have in your pockets, and try their very best, to throw you in jail, and convict you of something that is a felony...... Then as they
Depart: "Hey welcome to Alaska"
We have had quite a few run ins ; with the "park service" back then. They were going to pull our "use permits" one time for leaving two 3" ears of eaten corn cobs in a campfire,
And flew a Twin Engined Turbine Gruman Goose with 5 officers 100 miles to write out that " warning". I was told later they didnt care about the corn cobs but were mad about us for " lighting up" nuisance bears in their park.
Nancy Pelosi would have been soooo proud of them.

35 Whelen":1gzc7p5b said:
40 yds right in the keyster, if they started making a nuisance of themselves. They will jump into the air and squeel like a pig, and you wont see them again. They will be fine but wiser about people and a camp.
Nowadays they would fly in a 3 million dollar turbine aircraft, 6 men in uniform would repel out ,with face shields and helmets and arrest you for shooting a bear in the ass......... Take away every license you have in your pocket and try their very best, to throw you in jail, and convict you of something that is a felony...... Then as they
We have quite a few run ins with the "park service" back then. They were going to pull our "use permits" one time for leaving two 3" ears of eaten corn cobs in a campfire,
And flew a Twin Engined Turbine Gruman Goose with 5 officers 100 miles to write out that " warning". I was told later they didnt care about the corn cobs but were mad about us for " lighting up" nuisance bears in their park.

+ 1 on all points. God I miss the good old days when a man was a man and not afraid that if he held a door open for a woman that he would be sued by madam nancy and her group of whiners

Back to the op---will you have a guide, if so he will handle the bears. I liked hodgemans idea about the shotgun and fishing

Unless you are self guiding bears are not your problem , that will be your outfitters responsibility.
I would take the 300 Bee with a good 180-200 gr bullet for your buddy.
And I would take your 280 with a 160 gr AccuBond or Partition and go hunt.

With the diminutive size of black tails I would stick to a lighter bullet to ensure expansion. It's not that common to find one over 125-140 pounds.

We've dropped a lot of deer over 150lbs. I've never put them on a scale but I sure can't pick them up! Packing one out figure about about 60-80lbs on the bone of a big buck. Usually comes in around 50ish for a boned out buck. I've weighed hind quarters of 20lbs on the bone. Had clients that have weighed deer estimate a handful over 200lbs. They aren't big in stature but are very dense and heavy for their size.

Your already overthinking the gun situation. Carry whatever you like this isn't a brain game. . They are deer. My photos are to big to post on here. But a email address I can hit ya with some deer pictures from Kodiak.

Fourtyonesix":2a3nl8f6 said:
We've dropped a lot of deer over 150lbs. I've never put them on a scale but I sure can't pick them up! Packing one out figure about about 60-80lbs on the bone of a big buck. Usually comes in around 50ish for a boned out buck. I've weighed hind quarters of 20lbs on the bone. Had clients that have weighed deer estimate a handful over 200lbs. They aren't big in stature but are very dense and heavy for their size.

Your already overthinking the gun situation. Carry whatever you like this isn't a brain game. . They are deer. My photos are to big to post on here. But a email address I can hit ya with some deer pictures from Kodiak.

sent you a pm

Am thinking of doing a trip feted 1 deer with archery, 1 deer with muzzle loader, 1 deer rifle.

I would be careful about getting too caught up with method of harvest. A lot of times people tend to focus too much on method of harvest and it can detract from the experience. If I were you I would just pick one and go from there. I personally would probably just take a rifle, if you want to sneak close you can make a 5 yard shot with a rifle and have it no less an accomplishment than had you used a bow. Concentrate more on really absorbing the experience and checking out exciting new country that will likely be very different than you are used to.

No experience in Alaska but though I have killed several deer with my bow I mainly used bow season scouting for rifle season.
I have been known for getting very close to deer in the mountains and wooded low lands including close enough for my then 3yr old son to grab a doe's ear standing beside her with him on my shoulders and no camo clothing. What I'm trying to get across is stalking with either rifle or bow can and is a very rewarding experience I would take a rifle of my choice and not look back.

35 Whelen":jf9shafu said:
Nowadays they would fly in a 3 million dollar turbine rotorcraft in stealth mode, 6 men in black uniforms, would repel out ,with face shields, and helmets and arrest you for shooting a bear in the ass......... Take away every license you have in your pockets, and try their very best, to throw you in jail, and convict you of something that is a felony...... Then as they
We have had quite a few run ins ; with the "park service" back then. They were going to pull our "use permits" one time for leaving two 3" ears of eaten corn cobs in a campfire,
Gotta love the Parkys.
Couple of years ago they told me I needed to pay a 100 dollar fee to add my dog to our conditional use permit to guide with my dog. But if she was there as a pet I didn't need to add her. Ok, she just came ptarmigan hunting for fun.

salmonchaser":29bgkkh2 said:
35 Whelen":29bgkkh2 said:
Gotta love the Parkys.
Couple of years ago they told me I needed to pay a 100 dollar fee to add my dog to our conditional use permit to guide with my dog. But if she was there as a pet I didn't need to add her. Ok, she just came ptarmigan hunting for fun.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Back