Winding down

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Getting ready to go this morning. A couple of guys from Virginia and three couples out of Portland. The preserve season closes at the end of the month.
Figured out the new dog, Sugar, is crazy for quail. She'll blow right past pheasants to point a covey. IMG_0863.JPGIMG_0849.JPG
Some of the neighbors watching the action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Sugar's predilection for quail might present a bit of a problem. Good looking neighbours you have! Trust you are successful for your clients.

Just wondering if the injury has anything to do with her by-passing pheasants. That will happen sometimes and ruin a good dog.

She doesn't ignore pheasant altogether just if they are in the same immediate area. Actually kinda funny. But I think from her perspective it's 8 quail or one pheasant.

The only residual from her injury, there is 1/2 acre brush patch she won't go into. We have 1,000 acres to hunt, so no big deal.

Look like you had a great day. Watching a good dog working the birds is always fun.

JD338

Great dog pic! Just finished up the season with my first hunting dog (GSP). Elk hunting certainly has it's virtues but I'm beginning to think true happiness is shooting pointed birds:)

One of the guys I guided this weekend said I don't do dogs when one of them went to say hi as we started our day. This guy had joined a group of friends who were avid bird hunters but he had never hunted before. It was pretty clear he didn't care much for dogs. His wife commented he detests the ill mannered dogs and owners he finds when he runs in one of Portlands parks every morning.
Partway through the day he started asking questions "how did you teach her to do that" why did she do that". By the end of the day he is my shadow, announcing "watch her,getting birdie." Never talked to anyone so much about dog training.
At dinner he went on about how fascinating it was to see dogs do what they were bred to do, instead of simply being a PIA. When they were leaving the next day he wanted to know where he could buy a GSP. I suggest he come back a few times, maybe spend some time with other breeds. GSPs are wonderful dogs but not for the casual dog owner.

Tobey, elk hunting remains my passion but I spend at least 3 or 4 days a week hunting birds.
In particular with GSPs never spoil your bird dog.
IMG_0866.JPG

A working dog must work; and that means that the owner is responsible to give the dog every opportunity. Excellent summation of how a good dog can change negative opinions.

Tobey284":2gh6zak6 said:
Great dog pic! Just finished up the season with my first hunting dog (GSP). Elk hunting certainly has it's virtues but I'm beginning to think true happiness is shooting pointed birds:)
Did your pup slow down enough for a photo op.?

I am glad that your pup is back up and at it (y). I have owned Labs for 25 years and they have been Hunter/Pets, I did all the training myself and have 2 older females that are now retired from hunting and are 80lb. lap dogs :shock:.
I personally prefer females as I find them easier to train and on a whole are birdier than a male.
This past fall my Son had his 6 month old GSP (Scotch) out and I hunted behind him it was definitely different than a flushing dog but a lot of fun.
Scotch likely has twice the energy of any Lab either male or female that I have ever seen :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_1746.JPG
    IMG_1746.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 562
Shorthairs and labs approach things differently, that's for sure. I've run a GPS collar on Molly a few times. She'll cover five to six times the ground we cover.
Scotch is a great looking dog, seems to know his business for sure.

My Son, did quite a bit of research & picked him up from a breeder in the US. I am not sure if it was North or South Dakota.
A little high strung for my liking but there is no doubt he has a great nose :wink:. I believe my Son is picking up a collar as a reminder for him.

Blessings,
Dan

My Son, did quite a bit of research & picked him up from a breeder in the US. I am not sure if it was North or South Dakota.
A little high strung for my liking but there is no doubt he has a great nose :wink:. I believe my Son is picking up a collar as a reminder for him.

Blessings,
Dan

When I got my first E collar I was a little hesitant. Put the device on my wrist. On the low settings it felt like an electric razor on my face. The other feature I like is the collar has a low volume Beep. I use it rather than a whistle. Two beeps turn right, a bunch is recall.
Much more stealthy then blowing a whistle.
I do train with a whistle as well, just in case. Start blowing the whistle on pressured pheasants, they leave way ahead of the dog.

Salmonchaser, Here's a pic of my little boy and I after a quail expedition this winter

And doing his lab impression at the quagmire

Looks like a pile of quail, your buddy did his job and so did you. Good looking pup.

Back