Western Oregon Cow

NWBlacktail

Handloader
Dec 17, 2011
Took this cow the last week of February. Spotted the herd at about 800 yards, well outside my comfort zone. No matter, it was an easy stalk down and around a hill. I reacquired the herd at about 400 yards, ranged them, and dialed up my scope.

I could have ended it right there, but the herd was content, so I stalked in closer for a better look. Got to about 200 yards and set-up over a stump. I had great concealment, and a solid rest.

It was a sight to behold. About 70 elk. A few spikes/rag horns. Several yearlings. And many many cows. All within easy rifle range. They were totally undisturbed and unpressured. I ended up just watching them for about 15 minutes before taking this one.

Took it with a 280 ack. 168 grain Barns LRX

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,012
Excellent! Congratulations on some fine dining. Sounds as if it was a great hunt.

Congrats on your hunt and your ability to stalk even closer. That is what it's all about in my opinion.

Tell me about the LRX's performance on the elk. They've been getting a lot of great press.

Thanks guys!

This is my first animal taken with a mono. It the LRX went cleanly through, and the cow went about 20 yards from where I shot her. I had a classic broadside shot, and put it through the lungs.

I've taken a few deer with Accubonds, and I tend to get a similar pass through shots with those. I've just been experimenting with the LRX, and thought I'd give it a go on this hunt.

How was the damage from the LRX VS the AccuBond? I'm a big believer in Accubonds but the Tipped Monos are wearing me down a little as time passes.

I was thinking exactly that when I was cleaning her. The wound looked exactly like the last buck I took with an AccuBond.

Nice job! I like to hear stories about hunters getting closer to their quarry. Plus it gave you a chance to just watch for awhile.

NWBlacktail":2vcjs3lf said:
I was thinking exactly that when I was cleaning her. The wound looked exactly like the last buck I took with an AccuBond.

That's great intel. Thanks for passing it. Seems like they work as advertised.

Congratulations on a fine cow Elk, I am sure that the steaks & sausage will make for many fine meals :mrgreen:.
The 280AI is really something special for so many of the North American big game animals. It has quickly become my favourite to shoot.
I remember some time ago a Doctor from this form mentioned to me that I should look into the 280 as it did not get the recognition it deserved (y).
Thanks for the post & photo.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks guys! :mrgreen:

Yeah, the 280ai is a sweetheart. Not that it's magic, and in practical hunting terms really doesn't do anything a 30-06 wont do. But it has several small attributes that when added together make it a sweet little cartrige.

Should be getting the meat back from the butcher in just a few more days! (y)

Back