Hunting Exotics; Recommendations

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
I may have the ability to go on an exotics hunt next year and am looking for recommendations as to when, where and who to go with.

List of desired species for Susan and I are:
1) Axis Deer
2) Blackbuck
3) Falliw Deer
4) Mouflon

I plan on using either the 250AI (first choice) or the 6.5 Creedmoor, and my bow if the chance presents itself. Susan will be taking her 250 Savage.

If the opportunity is realized to its full potential, the trip may be upgraded to either:
1) New Zealand; for red stag and fallow deer, and fishing, (would love to add Rusa deer or sambar to this list) or
2) Argentina; for red stag, fallow deer and blackbuck, or
3) Africa; for Sable and Oryx for Susan, and Kudu, Nyala, Bushbuck and Eland for me (would love to add sitatunga to this list)

For the first two trips, I would use the 280 Rem and my bow if the chance presents itself. Susan would be taking her 7MM-08. (Susan has a friend on the north island in NZ, and relatives in Argentina)
For Africa, I would take the 338-06 and 376 Steyr (for the eland) and my bow for the right opportunities. Susan would use the 338-06 for her hunts.

Not looking for the biggest animal of any species, but good representatives. The experience of the hunt, scenery, quality of the outfitter and guides or PH's, and trip to exotic destinations is the most important to us.

How about this? On your way to NZ take a stop in Hawaii. You can get your Axis deer and Mouflon (Spanish goat and boar too), then scoot down to NZ and grab your Fallow and Red stag !

Gunner46":5omf2i6r said:
How about this? On your way to NZ take a stop in Hawaii. You can get your Axis deer and Mouflon (Spanish goat and boar too), then scoot down to NZ and grab your Fallow and Red stag !

Genius!

Ought to do some deep sea fishing while there too. (y)

I knew that they have some good hunting in Hawaii, incl/ mouflon and goats, and boar. Did not know they had axis deer too. While NZ isn't exactly inexpensive, neither is Hawaii, the last time I checked. Will need to revisit this.

Looking around at hunts in Argentina last night, it is looking like a more cost effective destination for the species we would like to hunt, and has great trout fishing as well.

NZ was supposed to be our honeymoon destination 6 years ago, but life got in the way. So it is still a land we both want to visit. And the sambar, Russ and Sitka deer are some very interesting animals available there on the north island. May just focus on these and leave red stag and fallow deer for Argentina.

The deep sea fishing has potential as well. Both Susan and I have fished off the west coast for salmon, and I fished once from San Diego for Bonita, sea bass and rock fish. Our bucket list fish is marlin. But that will be for another trip.

good for you and susan. As i reach the end of the line it is what I didn't do I regret, not what I did do.

As I have mentioned before, i love Austria and you could hunt Fallow and Mouflon ther==plus, Red Deer, Chamois and Ibex, however those three are not on your list. Possibly this could be done when your in France and save going over the pond twice.

Like Gunner46's suggestion as well and if after NZ you could go to Australia and take the Blackbuck. Hawaii, NZ, Australia would let you take all four ( on your initial list ) and see some great country.

Besides hunting and fishing there are a lot of cool things to do in all three locations. When in Australia, consider taking a helicopter to one of the small islands on the barrier reef. They leave you there with a couple of chairs, an umbrella, lunch and if your lucky they will come back and get you in a few hours. But as suggested the fishing is great and I believe you said Susan loves to fish.

elkhunternm":288iuxgn said:
You can hunt all four of those animals in Texas,if you so desire.

O.K. as a woman, I am thinking what Susan might say when Gil says honey we could go to--------

Texas or Austria, and France
Texas or Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia

let me think ------------

However, this suggestion would definitely be easier and cheaper and you could enjoy some of our history---like The Alamo, plus Susan might enjoy shopping the river walk

just so everyone knows I sent a pm to Ken so he would know I am just joking---sort of-- LOL

elkhunternm":qjxeh4ln said:
You can hunt all four of those animals in Texas,if you so desire.

Any suggestions of who to hunt with, where and when in Texas?

Blkram,the first one that comes to mind is the Y.O. Ranch. Hunting exotics in Texas is year round i.e. whenever you can get the time.

Europe.... (y)

Africa represents a real bargain for the hunter, these days, in terms of game and experience.

I'm headed to NZ in May, and it isn't terrible in terms of the expense, including the touring.

Hawaii hunting is pricey, in my opinion., for what you get.

I hunted for several years with Dan Moody www.danmoodyhunting.com in Pearsall, Tx. We hunted in/around Uvalde, Leakey, Del Rio, San Antone, and places in between! He always had access to some fantastic ranches and his prices were always fair. He is a fine man to do business with. He can get you everything you listed...

Forget the Y-O. It is a shadow of its former self. There are a lot of ranches that are bigger, better managed, and less expensive all over the Hill Country..

You will get an excellent bang for your buck in Argentina and will enjoy the country and its people (along with the food and wines). Depending upon the province(s) hunted, you can take peccary, puma, wild boar, capybara, red deer, axis deer, fallow deer, blackbuck, water buffalo, and more.

George

Thanks preacher, I will check out Dan's site too.

George, I have been looking at Argentina for these species as well, and their pricing seems better. Still doing my research to see which will be the final choice for either destination. I like the thought of the puma in Argentina...would pair nicely with a cougar here in Canada (still on the bucket list here). Any suggestions for a good outfitter in the Hill Country?

1100- I've killed 3 Blackbucks ( from 21 to 23") with Dan. I took one in the summertime(axis hunt) he was in Brown color phase, and two in January ( they are actually "Black" then) Super neat little antelope! Shoot him right and he's like any other critter; shoot him wrong and he becomes as bulletproof as any cape buffalo, and he is "gone". BUT, you get to "pay for him anyway", ha.

I'm going to do a DIY Axis hunt in Hawaii next year. The wife loves going some place warm in the winter/spring and we are usually stuck in Mexico (It's fun for her and the kids but gets old real quick for me. I don't like being in tourist traps nor do I like lounging on a beach). So I told her we are going to Hawaii next year and I'm going axis deer hunting for a few days of the trip. Plus Hawaii has better snorkeling. I've been to Oahu twice and Kauai once so going to Maui will hopefully be different. House rentals are expensive everywhere anymore, including Mexico, but in March and April they aren't terrible as long as it's not spring break. My dad is getting up there in age but I'm going to drag him along. He should have a few more adventurers left in him.

Good luck on your Hawaiian axis deer hunt!

After all of my research, it has come down to a trip to South Africa next May!

Have narrowed it down to 3 outfitters with great references. Just waiting for final details and pricing to make final decision.
Susan will be after her sable and the springbok slam (common, black, white and copper), with her 7mm-08.
I will be after the spiral horn slam (bushbuck, eland, kudu and nyala) with my bow and 338-06. We may add caracal and fallow deer to the list if and when the opportunity presents itself.

Back