Big Game Alaska

hunternyny

Handloader
Feb 6, 2012
Can someone tell me what big game animals can be hunted in Alaska without a guide or an Alaskan resident present, if any thank you

While not as knowledgeable on this topic as others may be, such as those who live there...

If I recall correctly, brown bear and dall sheep require a guide, while deer, caribou and moose do not...I belive there is a couple other animals that require guides, but not sure...polar bear and walrus??? Cannot remember about musk ox and mountain goat...

For the non-resident U.S. citizen... you can hunt anything with the exception of grizzly/brown bears, dall sheep and mountain goats without a guide or a resident within the second degree of kindred present.

For a non-resident alien (non-U.S. citizen) all big game species require a guide.

If you're planning a hunt- it pays to read the regs in the specific area, not all areas have over the counter tags available for non-residents. For instance- GMU 13 caribou are a resident only proposition at this time but GMU26 caribou have both resident and non-resident tags.

Back