Unusual Hunts

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
This has been a kick in the head. Every afternoon we have met with a few Italian gentlemen, all seniors, all retired, all hunters, or like me, they were at one time. The group keeps getting larger and larger each day. We will set sail soon, and I will miss these old fellows it has been fun.

Anyway-------

They were asking me about unusual hunts in North America and I could only relate to the ones I have been on. I was not always the hunter but sometimes was just tagging along with my husband. I was able to remember

Cougars, which was fun
Javelina, which was boring
Boar, kind of fun but again not extremely exciting
Alligator--interesting, but not much of a challenge
Walrus--I thought was a waste of time
Polar Bear--Very Very exciting
Bison--Boring, too easy
Goat--a young man or woman's game, but a good hunt
Muskox--boring, too easy, like Bison

What "unusual" hunts have you been on and did you enjoy them. We considered deer, elk, caribou, bear, sheep, antelope, turkeys, moose, wolf, coyotes as not "unusual" hunts in our conversation. And we were referring to North America animals/hunts

Also did you ever buy a rifle specifically for a specific hunt. I remember my husband bought a 50-90 Sharps and a 45/70 Sharps when he decided we had to hunt Bison.

And last but not least, if you guys are tired of my questions/posts, just say so, it will not offend me as I have a very thick skin and do not want to "cluter up" the forum, as in the large scheme of things it is not that important. There are a few friends here on the forum who are living through and fighting some health problems--now that is important!

Does Sasquatch count as unusual? Not that I have ever hunted him, especially since Skamania County WA, where I hunt Elk, has a law on the books that it's a crime to shoot Sasquatch:)

I've done bison, goat, sheep, etc...all pretty normal stuff.

I've done the wild bison hunt twice (with folks who drew the tag) and I didn't find the hunt easy at all. In fact, it's likely one of the tougher hunts here- people who draw think it's a cakewalk but they are usually surprised by how tough it is- particularly on public land in late season.

I've been along for the ride on some marine mammal stuff- I can't personally hunt those species but it's pretty unusual. Seal may require more patience than most folks even have!

It's arguably fishing- but salmon shark is one of the more unusual trips I've done. Very fun.

Always enjoy your stimulating questions, April. They obviously generate a lot of interest and thoughtful response from people. My own hunts are not so unusual (various species of deer, grizzly and black bear, elk, moose, bison, goat, etc.). Each has had its own charm, generating rich memories of time spent in the wild and/or with great friends. Each hunt has resulted in lots of laughter and delightful camaraderie. Keep the questions coming. If anyone is offended, they can always find another forum to haunt; there are plenty with grim attitudes and marked with palpable lies and building up the self through destruction of others.

Europe":2o4w4plm said:
This has been a kick in the head. Every afternoon we have met with a few Italian gentlemen, all seniors, all retired, all hunters, or like me, they were at one time. The group keeps getting larger and larger each day. We will set sail soon, and I will miss these old fellows it has been fun.

Anyway-------

They were asking me about unusual hunts in North America and I could only relate to the ones I have been on. I was not always the hunter but sometimes was just tagging along with my husband. I was able to remember

Cougars, which was fun
Javelina, which was boring
Boar, kind of fun but again not extremely exciting
Alligator--interesting, but not much of a challenge
Walrus--I thought was a waste of time
Polar Bear--Very Very exciting
Bison--Boring, too easy
Goat--a young man or woman's game, but a good hunt
Muskox--boring, too easy, like Bison

What "unusual" hunts have you been on and did you enjoy them. We considered deer, elk, caribou, bear, sheep, antelope, turkeys, moose, wolf, coyotes as not "unusual" hunts in our conversation. And we were referring to North America animals/hunts

Also did you ever buy a rifle specifically for a specific hunt. I remember my husband bought a 50-90 Sharps and a 45/70 Sharps when he decided we had to hunt Bison.

And last but not least, if you guys are tired of my questions/posts, just say so, it will not offend me as I have a very thick skin and do not want to "cluter up" the forum, as in the large scheme of things it is not that important. There are a few friends here on the forum who are living through and fighting some health problems--now that is important!

what no antelope??????

deLope014.jpg

Probably any hunt where the terrain is tough. Go in on horseback, then foot for the hunt. Cougar and Grizzly would be high on my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gee April your questions keep us from getting bored with each other since most men seem to think the same and our basic interest are similar.
I think one of the most unusual is to take a green horn out Snipe hunting just after dark with a gunny sack to catch his prey in. They seem to soon learn what the Snipe hunt is all about. :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll second Truck Drivers post; thankfully I haven't done that type of Snipe hunting. Hunting them with a 20 gauge in daylight is tough enough!

It seems to me that the more unusual the animal, the more the guides have it down to an art and the more prepared the hunters are...

The most unusual and one of the funniest hunts for me was a Chukar hunt in Torrey, Utah. Nothing particularly unusual for the locals and probably out of bounds of your definition of unusual; but for a Michigander there was a lot rough & beautiful terrain with most shots taken with uneven footing.

Yes, I have purchased a rifle for a hunt. Thankfully it has always been something I've been looking at for awhile and an upcoming hunt simply pushes the cash out of my wallet. For example my first 280 Remington I purchased the year I went on an Idaho Elk hunt and it has been my go to rifle ever since; but she is heavy at around 11lbs all in (scope, bipod, sling, ammo). I recently picked up a Kimber 84L for an upcoming NM Elk hunt as I've been wanting a trimmer rifle; and the NM hunt provides a valid enough "need" for that want.

Rodger, to be honest I have always gotten along better with men than women. Not all women but some are just to emotional for me to spend any time around. I have said that women and bi-polar is one in the same. Snipes-- LOL

Nimrod84, Chukar hunting is an entirely different bird hunt to be sure. The Kimber sounds like a good purchase, Best of luck on your Elk hunt

Mark, the cougar hunts I have been on have been exhausting and fun.

Fotis, LOL---We did not hunt Antelope often, but was able to drive north a few times and always enjoyed the hunt. Two things that stuck in my mind about Antelope is they seem to follow the vehicle, so if you let someone drop you off where they can't see you and keep driving you might be able to get closer. But, at the same time, I feel they have esp and know exactly where you are.

Hodgeman, that would be interesting. I have heard off it, but never tried salmon shark fishing, but I bet it would be fun. Our bison hunt was in North Dakota and if they were wild, they were having an off day when we hunted them. It took longer for my husband to get into his buffalo hunting clothes than to hunt them. But those sharp rifles were pretty cool. I think my son still has one of them, maybe both of them. He got all carried away for awhile 50-90, 50-120, and a couple other besides the 45/70. Have you ever hunted with or owned one of the old Sharps 50-90.s or equivalent.

lefty315, if you capture one, you will be on the front page of the enquirer .

Dr Mike, thank you. I just wanted to make sure that the three people who dont like my presence, was not speaking for everyone. But if they were I can easily disappear. Unfortunately I fear that is exactly what has happen to Jamila, but I "think" Cheyenne might be back eventually as soon as she gets everything sorted out. She is still in the process of making sure her employer has no problems, although she did have to send copies of her trapping license and First Nation status and some other things I think. When that is sorted out I think she will then speak to Mason and after that perhaps post again but who knows. Personally, I think what happen was one of the lowest things that someone could do. I know she is not the first one this has happen to, I know it also happen to two different male members in the past. Neither of them lost their jobs either but they also quit posting. Like Cheyenne they were first class individuals and I was sorry they had to go through the bs they went through

But lets stay on point here.

What unusual animals have you hunted and did you buy a special rifle just to hunt them ?

truck driver":4y6m7mit said:
Gee April your questions keep us from getting bored with each other since most men seem to think the same and our basic interest are similar.
I think one of the most unusual is to take a green horn out Snipe hunting just after dark with a gunny sack to catch his prey in. They seem to soon learn what the Snipe hunt is all about. :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rodger, LOL!

Years ago my dad and I used to take the relatives from LA snipe hunting, when they would come visit our ranch, with a gunny sack. Needless to say they only went once.

Hunted black bear with dogs (twice,was not successful either time,just had lots of fun). Took this rifle for the second hunt.

9x57

Bow "hunting" (fishing) for stingray in shallow salt water. Very cool and good on the grill too.

Fotis is right....Pronghorn....Okay, so its just my favorite. Cant say exactly why, but if there was an Elk, and a pronghorn tag on the table I would have to think long and hard about that ELK tag. It would be a tough decision. There is a video out there by Randy Newberg on hunting Sitka Blacktails in Alaska. That would be interesting....

Unusual- Texas boar with a six foot speer. I Know a guy who did it. He is still recovering from shoulder surgery and a mauling to the leg as a result. Definitely not boring.... CL

Honestly April, to a lot of us,unusual, is any animal we have not previous hunted. I have not hunted all the animals on your "not unusual" list

To people like Dr Mike, Gil, Hodgeman, Earle, Bear78, Gerry, and a handful of others here your Caribou, Moose, Grizzly, Sheep, Goat are all within reach on a yearly basis--but to some of us--like myself, Caribou was something my wife and I looked forward to for a few years before we were able to hunt them. To Hodgeman, Gil, Cheyenne, they are just dinner, as an example of my point.

I have no idea who have hunted what, but I hope everyone understands my point.

Anyway, we want to hunt Coues deer, which is just a variation of the whitetail, but it will be and is an unusual hunt for us here in New York, who, if lucky, get to hunt something different than whitetail and turkey once a year.

Look at Dr Mike's post. A very casual grizzly, moose, elk, goat, bison---I AM JEALOUS and would be happy to just be able hunt the animals on you not unusual list Haha

DrMike":84o1zrqx said:
Always enjoy your stimulating questions, April. They obviously generate a lot of interest and thoughtful response from people. My own hunts are not so unusual (various species of deer, grizzly and black bear, elk, moose, bison, goat, etc.). Each has had its own charm, generating rich memories of time spent in the wild and/or with great friends. Each hunt has resulted in lots of laughter and delightful camaraderie. Keep the questions coming. If anyone is offended, they can always find another forum to haunt; there are plenty with grim attitudes and marked with palpable lies and building up the self through destruction of others.

+1

And I have to agree with hunternyny, unusual for some can be usual for someone else.
For me the unusual was antelope and I built the 250AI for my next hunt, and for the exotics I will hunt one day soon!
Musk ox will also be unusual for me; I already have a rifle suited for that hunt, as back up, as I plan on an archery attempt first.
Mountain lion also, and I had planned on using my 375 Win, but now that I have the 41 Rem Mag in a Marlin lever action rifle, it will be the rifle I will carry for that hunt, along with the bow.

Just about all my hunts are normal hunts with fairly common game for the area.
Maybe one that people would consider unusual is after both my labs tangled with a porcupine 5 years ago and met vet bill almost hit 4 digits. I declared war on them and had a bunch of friends and there kids out here and we checked every square foot of the 40 acres trying to find one or more. We came up empty handed, woulda been a sight to see 25 people with sticks trudging thru the thick bush looking for porky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hunted the usual big game animals of Saskatchewan but a few years ago was invited on a northern British Columbia Moose hunt. One morning while walking in a small valley I heard a very unusual sound coming from some distance away :shock:. I was carrying my 35 Whelen as I continued to walk towards the sound, it was becoming quite loud. I then came to a little clearing and could see the origin of the strange sound.
I did not have a tag for it so I just took a photo :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 836
It would not have made any difference if you did have a tag, Dan. I've seen you shoot! :mrgreen: Besides, I was engaged in some definitive introspection at that point.

Very nicely played Dr Mike

Allen, Rodger, you guys are big into Snipe Hunting

Ken, nice Bear rifle

Guy, that would be fun. You and Hodgeman need to plan a shark and stingray hunt together

Cloverleaf, anything with a six foot spear could be dangerous to ones health

Gil. Mountain lions are a great hunt, exhausting but really fun, enjoy!

super7, we have had a few dogs go to the vet because of encounters with porcupines --and skunks!

Dan, thank you, good post

Today the discussion was mostly about the Sharps rifles--we only had the 50 and 45 calibers, but they were very cool old rifles and the fellows were asking a lot of questions I unfortunately was not able to answer.

Did any of you here get into the Sharp rifle reproductions and calibers. Or is this another one of hose things that only people like Dr Mike and I remember. ( no cheyenne Dr Mike and I did not use them to feed the railroad workers )

Nope,not interested in the Sharps rifles. Like to read Mike Venturino articles on them,but no interest in shooting them.

Have shot a .45/70 in a Ruger No.1 and a Marlin lever action though. That is the extant of my black powder cartridge experience.

Back