Dominating the room

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
Oregons #1 non typical bull has a new home at the lodge. IMG_1032.JPGIMG_1033.JPGIMG_1034.JPG
Scored 427 as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya know - with elk it's funny. Most of us would be forever satisfied with a bull a full 100 points less than that one. A 330 class elk looks BIG to most of us. But, 330 isn't even big enough to make it into The Book.

Kind of lets a fellow know that bull elk have the potential to get truly huge, given the right genetics, environment, and the time to grow to maturity. 400 - 500, in the wild, is certainly possible. More? Maybe...

Guy

He was aged as a 10 year old by ODFW. Came from the same area Bill and Scotty hunt. Several groups of hunters went after him on opening day, he eluded my neighbor, who passed on several very good bulls for six or seven days.
The guy who killed him told me the bull, though number one in Oregon, just missed the top 25 all time.
Guy is right, they are out there. I know of three over 350 that were killed in the same unit on the same year. If Bill and Scotty ever draw the trophy tag in "their unit" watch out.

What a fine example of a bull Elk, you only see them once in a life time when you have a rifle in your hand and then there is problem of having a tag as well :wink:.
Thank you for the post as it always nice to see a trophy like that (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Man that is an incredible bull. I see monsters every year while we pick thru the spikes but it is danged near as cool to just see those old boys on the mountain as killing one of them.

I met a guy yesterday who has a buddy that missed the bull during archery season. Reportedly there is a video of the 30 yard miss. If I get it I'll post it.

Interesting isn't it... Those who claim that only Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and Montana hold the big bulls...

This isn't the only 400+ class bull to come from Oregon and Washington in recent years. And we're growing more.

Guy

In Oregon, the most popular units for a great bull are Mt. Emily, Walla Walla and Wenaha. These units are limited entry hunts for spikes and only a few, 20 to 25 any bull tags are issued. You're looking at 18 preference points to draw.

What a tremendous animal. There are some great elk there and in Washington both! What a privilege just to see an animal like that.

salmonchaser":320aipjp said:
In Oregon, the most popular units for a great bull are Mt. Emily, Walla Walla and Wenaha. These units are limited entry hunts for spikes and only a few, 20 to 25 any bull tags are issued. You're looking at 18 preference points to draw.

Yeah.... tough draws but I like hunting elk so spike killing it is.

They have some monsters.

What I'm kinda surprised about is nobody commented on the 315 bull dumped on the floor to make room:)

Well, he looks pretty good too. (y)

I think quite a few of us have shot 300+ bulls, but that 400+ bull on the wall... That's a whole different level of bull.

Guy

Back