.22 centerfires legal for deer? Where?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I've killed a number of mule deer, all sick, injured or otherwise troubled with a .223 AR-15 as part of my job. Enough to know that a good .22 bullet will do a fine job on deer.

Kind of interested in taking a deer with my .22 Savage 99 "Highpower." It's a bit more powerful than a .223/5.56 cartridge, using a 70 grain soft point.

I'd like to keep things to modest range, under 150 yards. It's an old rifle with old peep sights. 200 yards is really pushing it for hunting accuracy with this rifle. But, I'd dearly love to use it fo deer and in Washington a .24 cal is minimum.

Suggestions? I'm not at all concerned about trophy size, I just want to take a deer, pretty much any deer, under "fair chase" conditions with this old rifle.

Thanks, Guy

Totally legit in AK, just up the coast from WA.

...also most of the states in the Southeastern US.

Legal in Michigan in appropriate season. Rim fires of 22 or less prohibited

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Legal in MN. Lots of public land options with antlerless choice in some areas in the Northern half of the state.

Wyoming it is now ok for anything except elk bear moose

Guy that is correct, you are good to go in Montana. I'd take you out! You get a tag. It's too late for this year as the out of state tags are sold in February / March time frame, but you still could purchase a couple Super Tag chances just for the heck of it. Who knows, maybe you would win! If you drew this tag you could hunt a mule deer in any district in the state for the time period the season is open.

They are $5.00 a pop and you can purchase moose, sheep, goat, deer, elk, antelope, bison, and mountain lion. I bought two of each for moose, sheep, goat, deer, and elk. I might purchase a couple more before the deadline approaches.

David

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/all/supertag.html

It's legal in KY. I'm not a fan, personally, as I think .243 and similar rounds are significantly better but, the law says differently.

Guy,
Looks like blacktail and mule deer are legal in Oregon with .22 centerfire.
Mule deer in the dry half of the state would require drawing a tag if not using a guide.
Blacktail could be OTC I think, not sure about the non resident requirements.
Hope you find an area that will work.

Camo

6mm Remington":z27ieelo said:
Guy that is correct, you are good to go in Montana. I'd take you out! You get a tag. It's too late for this year as the out of state tags are sold in February / March time frame, but you still could purchase a couple Super Tag chances just for the heck of it. Who knows, maybe you would win! If you drew this tag you could hunt a mule deer in any district in the state for the time period the season is open.

They are $5.00 a pop and you can purchase moose, sheep, goat, deer, elk, antelope, bison, and mountain lion. I bought two of each for moose, sheep, goat, deer, and elk. I might purchase a couple more before the deadline approaches.

David

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/all/supertag.html

Shoot, I need to get a few of them. Haven't hunted Montana yet. Probably should put that on my list. Driven thru a lot of beautiful country.

Thanks all. Maybe I can eventually use this ol' rifle on deer someday...

The mule deer I got in Wyoming last year was only at 140 yards or so, would have been fine with this rifle I think.

Guy

Used a 22-250 a lot in B.C. on mule deer and whitetail shot a black bear with it as well. Others used my gun on many deer and a mountain goat as well. Bullet used was a 70 grain Speer.
Used this on many coyotes and a few wolves also. Have since had it rebarreled into a 7mm-08.

mjcmichigan":1srqx12r said:
Legal in Michigan in appropriate season. Rim fires of 22 or less prohibited
Yep, my younger daughter used hers during Youth season last September as well as the year prior. Barnes Vor-Tx ammo worked well.

They are legal in Idaho and work well. Unless the Regs have changed in Oregon since 2012. You can only use 22 centerfires on, cougar, bear and deer in the west side of the Cascade mountains.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gunner46":a0yzo3bs said:
In Scotland county, NC a .224 caliber is the only legal rifle you can use for deer!
I didn't know that, never hunted there, but I'm in Laurinburg quite often for work.

Gunner46":2zf135kg said:
In Scotland county, NC a .224 caliber is the only legal rifle you can use for deer!

Well now, that's interesting!

Concern re over-penetration issues/populated area?

Guy

Back