What's the best 243 bullet selection for white tail?

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
For a caliber like this, I go closer to max weight. For example a 95g Ballistic tip.

I see Nosler has an 80g and 70g Ballistic tip.

Anyone have experience with the 80 or 70g bullets?

The gun that would use this round has a 22" barrel 1:10" twist

Thanks Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen numerous Whitetail taken by a good friend with 95gr. Nosler partitions (y).
The 90gr AccuBond would be right there as it may have a little better accuracy being a boat-tail.

Blessings,
Dan

85gr Partition or Sierra HPBT GAME KING are good bullets in the lighter weights. The 100gr Partition and Sierra SBT are also great bullets.

I haven't worked with the .243 much in a long time. I'd probably stick to the 95-100gr bullets for any big game.

White tails aren't particularly hard to kill but the more explosive light bullets might not give you penetration.

I used 100gr partitions in my sons 243 . it worked great on whitetails .

In 2015, my .243 had 2 one-shot kills on deer, including a 9-pt buck. I was using the 95gr BT in a Marlin XS7. Worked up a good load that was under .5" at 100. When my kids were younger, I had them hunting with a .243 youth rifle, using 100gr Remington CoreLokts. Several deer fell to that load, all 1-shot kills.

I would say that any good bullet in the 90-100gr range would get the job done for you, within reasonable range. Shot placement is a consideration; I would not go for a high-shoulder shot unless I had to, and not at all with a frangible bullet like the BT. Maybe with the Partition or AccuBond.

I use 6mm Remington on a lot of animals up to elk. Yes they are light for elk but will work if used properly. Here is my list.

90 gr. E-tip - wonderful bullet - my son shot a big old cow at 350 yards, one shot!

90 gr. AccuBond - another outstanding performer.

85- 95- & 100 gr. Partition - None of these is a bad choice either. The 100 gr. Partition is what I use in my 6mm for everything. I've taken one spike bull with it also!

The 70 and 80 grain Ballistic Tips are Varmint Bullets. I'm afraid that they might "blow up" on deer, particularly at modest range where velocity is still high:

6mm 70 Grain
Ballistic Tip Varmint Bullet
Part# 39532 | Part# 39570
Spitzer Point / Purple Tip

6mm 80 Grain
Ballistic Tip Varmint Bullet
Part# 24080
Spitzer Point / Purple Tip

The 90 and 95 grain Ballistic Tip bullets are intended for deer sized game. They are tougher. My son and I have had excellent performance from the 95 grain Ballistic Tip on whitetail and mule deer over the years. Excellent accuracy as well as superb on-game performance. We are using a 6mm Remington, but it generates similar velocity to a .243 Winchester.

Regards, Guy

85gr Sierra HPBT gameking or 87gr Berger VLD if you will stick to only broadside shots
Any weight Partition
100gr Sierra Gameking
90gr AccuBond
These are ones I've used personally.

Other good ones
90gr Sirocco II
Barnes 85gr

In my 6mm Rem I use either the 95BT or the 100 Pt. Never had an issue with either.

Like others have said: 90 - 95 gn BT or any of the Partitions. We have taken deer with all these bullets. Favorites are 95BT or 100PT. Only seen a few Whitetail taken with the 90AB but no problems there either. Stick with the heavier bullets designed for Deer size game, watch your shot and make room in the freezer.

I would stay away from the AccuBond on Whitetail, I had 2 deer run off when they were double lung and heart shot with the 90 grain AccuBond. I switch to the 90 grain ballistic tip and did not have that problem. The AccuBond left a pencil size hole on both sides, no expansion and the internal damage was nothing compared to the 90 grain ballistic tip

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thank you Everyone!

This has been very helpful!

I am loading up some 95g Ballistic Tips for this fall for my son.

He tends to go for double lung shots(likes the shoulder meat too!).

I'll post some pictures as we get through target and expansion testing.

Looking forward to it. I think if he shoots for lungs he will like them a bunch.

mjcmichigan":iectiq6t said:
Thank you Everyone!

This has been very helpful!

I am loading up some 95g Ballistic Tips for this fall for my son.

He tends to go for double lung shots(likes the shoulder meat too!).

I'll post some pictures as we get through target and expansion testing.

Here is the load I used in my Marlin XS7. It's near the top of the load chart, but no pressure signs to speak of.

243_95gr_BT.jpg

...the 100gr. Speer GrandSlams are another good option, consistent accuracy & terminal ballistics...

In My 6mm Rem I have used two bullet's for Whitetail, Mule Deer & Antelope.
Sierra 85gr HPBT has worked very well on Antelope and I still use this bullet for Coyotes.
Hornady's 100gr BTSP has performed well on Deer and is perfect for Antelope.
Both of these Bullet's are sub MOA and at 300 yards groups average under 2.25 inches
After seeing the Bullet test section on .243 bullets with Deer size bullet's sectioned, I went out and picked up some Nosler 95gr BT and I plan on using these on my next Deer hunt in my Remington 700 BDL 6mm Rem. and from the advice of others on this site.

I've had excellent results from the 90 gr NBT but the 95 gr is pretty awesome from what I've heard.

Back