Favorite Big Game Animal to hunt

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
What is your favorite big game animal to hunt,( including Turkey and Hogs). Especially curious to see what the favorite is among those who are able to easily hunt a variety of game each year. Members in Alaska, Canada, Africa, First Nation individuals like Gil and Cheyenne, and our guides and we have several, from memory we have guides who reside in Oregon, Maine, Wyoming and Alaska and probably even more that I am not remembering.

Don't have to think overly hard to answer this, April. While I do love hunting each of the animals available in my AO, a bear hunt still gets my blood pumping hard. The sight of a large black bear still causes me to hyperventilate while my eyes dilate and my trigger finger begins to curl involuntarily. A bear hunt (and bonus points if it is a grizzly) still ranks at the top of the list. Much as I love moose, elk and whitetail hunting, bear is somewhere way in front of those.

Africa, Lion and Lord Derby

Europe, Mouflon

North America, Grizzly

and I want to hunt Marco Polo, Markhor,and Polar Bear --sooooooooooooooo bad. And I want Dr Mike, Charles and Guy to accompany me on these hunts. Dr Mike -Polar Bear, Guy-- Marco Polo, Charles,-- Markhor, -- those would be hunts we would remember for a long time. Oh and April you can help me hunt for a husband LOL

Best Regards

Jamila

Mule Deer - I love the "spot and stalk" aspect of it. Getting into position before dawn, or again late in the afternoon. Waiting, watching silently. Using binoculars and spotting scopes to scan. Watching the deer materialize. Trying to find a good buck...

Then figuring out how to intercept him if he's on the move, or how to stalk him if he's bedded down. Get within rifle range, get solid, and make the shot! I also love just watching the mule deer. They're big, strong, robust animals who can live in the flat, hot, low deserts, or at oxygen deprived altitudes in the mountains. While hunting mountain mulies here in Washington, I've gazed down upon startlingly white mountain goats. The big bucks were well above them. I see mule deer as one of our iconic western big game animals.

For me, it's a perfect combination.

Have to admit though, that like others have posted, bear hunting is right up there... I truly love our spot and stalk bear hunts! Calling one in to close range, with a mouth-blown predator call last August was an incredible experience! Ya, bear hunting is pretty doggone special too.

Regards, Guy

I'm with Guy on this one. I love hunting big mule deer bucks. I'd prefer to hunt them early in the velvet or late in the rut if I had my choice but I'll hunt them anytime I can. 28"+ spreads and scoring in the 170's or higher are pretty exciting.

This one is easy.... caribou in the mountains.

I love hunting caribou more than any other animal, large or small. Beautiful country, beautiful and unique animals living there. Nothing I enjoy better than climbing up a ridge, glassing for caribou and making a long stalk that puts me under 200yds undetected.

I even enjoy hunting them later in the season when the migration starts. Much easier hunting, but the sight of a thousand animals marching in a line across open country is something to see.

hunternyny":mndlwww7 said:
ELK. but I am also limited in the number of different species I have hunted

Elk are indeed a wonderful hunt. Particularly if the hunt is during the rut... Wow! (y)

Caribou and Moose... Yes, I need to hunt those someday. A trip north would be pretty doggone great.

Guy

Africa Huntress":2zla37lk said:

Europe, Mouflon

North America, Grizzly

and I want to hunt Marco Polo, Markhor,and Polar Bear --sooooooooooooooo bad. And I want Dr Mike, Charles and Guy to accompany me on these hunts. Dr Mike -Polar Bear, Guy-- Marco Polo, Charles,-- Markhor, -- those would be hunts we would remember for a long time. Oh and April you can help me hunt for a husband LOL

Best Regards

Jamila

Doggone it, Jamila! Polar Bear. An old duffer trudging through the frozen north. You could at least ask me to accompany you on a dove hunt in Argentina! :mrgreen: I understand it is warmer there. Or, how about stag in New Zealand. (y) You need to introduce some younger man to the rigours of hunting polar bears. I do admit that Cheyenne said I could stay wrapped in a blanket in the sled. Okay, that wouldn't be so bad. Glad to see that Charles gets to stalk Markhor! He'll love Afghanistan or Pakistan! :shock: Say, this whole thing holds some promise.

My list of what I would like to hunt is far greater than what I've hunted. That said elk and mule deer are so fun. Actually, the hiking up mountains is not as much fun as it was 30 years ago but, it's part of it and still fun. The rewards far outweigh the labor.

A mature whitetail still gets me going. Been hunting whitetail all my life and I hope that feeling never goes away.

Hog hunting is OK, nothing I get fired up about.
Turkey hunting is fun but, it does not do for me what deer/elk hunting does.

What is on my list.
Moose
Grizzly
caribou
speed goat
aoudad
Plains game with horns. Not sure about some of what constitutes game there now days.
Cape buffulo

What's not on the list?

Elephant
hippo
crock
big cats

Not that I would not get the adrenaline rush of a lifetime, just not sure I would want to. Of course, that could change. I've never been there so there is much for me to learn.

I'm struggling with this. I've hunted moose, caribou, bighorns, antelope, bears deer ( Columbia Blacktail, Sitka blacktail, white tail and mule deer) elk( Roosevelt and Rocky Mountain). I love elkhunting, spend more time doing that then deer. Elk hunting however I'm limited to spikes, have only drawn and filled one trophy tag. I think big mule deer get my attention. In fact, 30 years ago when I drew my once in a lifetime bighorn tag I blew my opportunity the first day because I was watching two bucks that easily eclipsed 30 inches. I think a big mulie is the pinnacle of a great trophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Africa Huntress":t988ouwr said:

Europe, Mouflon

North America, Grizzly

Best Regards

Jamila

Dang Jamila you could include me in on the Grizzly Bear hunt! Or just about any you just threw out there. My favorites are elk, mule deer, and antelope. Some day I hope to hunt a grizzly though!

Due to location and opportunity I have only been able to hunt Eastern White tail deer which can be a challenge in it's self due to loss of habitat and over hunting in areas where you can hunt. This fall will be my first trip west and I have both Elk and Mule deer tags so it will be interesting. Oh yeah and there is Grizzly in the area though I don't have a tag for them.

I'm like you truck driver being from the Deep South I only have deer, turkey, and hog. I'd prolly pick deer over turkey mainly due to loving messing around with rifles, and despising shotguns lol. I will say a good hunt on a hard gobbling turkey is very hard to beat.

Cleveland48":3qiv4z84 said:
I'm like you truck driver being from the Deep South I only have deer, turkey, and hog. I'd prolly pick deer over turkey mainly due to loving messing around with rifles, and despising shotguns lol. I will say a good hunt on a hard gobbling turkey is very hard to beat.

That it can be and they are a very worthy animal to hunt.

Africa Huntress":j2zqio4t said:
April you can help me hunt for a husband LOL

Best Regards

Jamila

Good thing you asked April! It sounds as if she is collecting some younger men in northern climes. (How are you at speaking Finnish?) If you looked to me, it would be a total bust. I've had young ladies ask for help in this area, and I'm still batting zero on their behalf. I'm afraid too many young men have applesauce for brains when it comes to young ladies of culture and class.

Back