One bullet choice for all of your rifles, for all big game?

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
Jimbires has inspired this thread from his response in the Match bullet thread...

If I could only choose one bullet to use in all of my rifles for all big game, it would be the Nosler AccuBond!

It has proven to be the most consistently accurate bullet in all the rifles that I have used it in to date, whether in factory ammunition or in handloads. It has also proven to be the easiest bullet to work with in developing handloads for my rifles. It has proven itself to be very effective on all of the game that I have harvested with this bullet over the years. The only animal it did not bring home was not the bullet , cartridge or rifle's fault, but mine, as I had missed. What bullets that have been recovered (usually under the hide on the off-side of the animal) have averaged a minimum of 2x diameter expansion and retained an average of 90% of their original weight.

I have used AccoBonds in the following calibers (.264, .277, .284, .308, .338 and .375) on game (whitetail, mule deer, caribou, elk, moose, black bear, pronghorn, wolf and bison). I have or am loading the .257 and .358, but have not yet hunted with them, and will also use the .366 as soon as I get my 9.3x62 built.

We know that Jim's choice would be the Nosler Partition...another great bullet that I have used extensively and have great confidence and trust in.

What would be your choice?

That is a great question, and I love the Nosler AccuBond as well... However I have to deal with this lead free nonsense, so am searching. Have been testing Berger and Barnes offerings and the Nosler e-tip shoot well but it's really hard to find in .264.

Also, biting the $ bullet, and going to test some cutting edge projectiles.

Funny I don't have just one brand or type of bullet for anything but have mostly used Hornady inner locks and inner bonds the most over the years in my 30-06 mainly because they were cheap and worked great on white tail deer.

Being limited to deer an elk I select the Nosler 180 Partition out of my 30-06. It has served me well at long range, (525 yds) out of my '06 and equally well on Whitetail at 70+/- yds nearly complete pass through length wise. The 180 Accubonds would be a good alternative.

I'm a late bloomer to the Partition, mostly due to finding factory ammo for most of my life that shot well. Since loading for the Partition, no complaints whatsoever.

They say there are better bullets out there. I'm sure there are but, the Partition covers the spectrum from one end to the other so well; holds together at point blank and opens at the extreme while also possessing a decent B.C. It also seems to over achieve. Maybe that is the rapidly expanding nose and remaining square chunk bulldozing as it goes. Whatever the reason, it just plain works.

In time there may be bullets that will move into that number 1 slot that the Partition has taken. Maybe that is the AccuBond or interbond.

I've tested the Northfork soft points and love them so far. In testing they out perform the Partition but, their draw back is the B.C., they have more drag. It may be 500 yards before the Partition overtakes this bullet though. This Fall I'll hopefully take a bull elk with one.

I also have become interested in the woodleigh for another all purpose bullet. B.C. very close to the Partition, better expansion and has a reputation for deep penetration.

50 years ago bullet selection was very limited. Now it is like the land of milk and honey. We're blessed.

I've got to say, I've primarily done all my hunting for the last decade or so with the AccuBond, I've had zero complaints with the performance of the bullet. I could go to ABs for every rifle I've got without any qualms at all.

I've used quite a few other bullets, but the AB does everything I want it to.

For all rifles, all big game, I'd have to go with the Hornady Interlock. Would have to go heavy, perhaps very heavy for caliber for some of the big boys, but I think they would do the job just due to pure inertia.

I would say Norma Oryx, Nosler Partition or Speer GS, I think they all do the same job about equally well, but they are not available in all possible sizes.

If it was just one, boy, I think it would be the AccuBond. 30 or 300 yards out of my 338 Jarrett it's work great on elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to use a wide variety of bullets but for me it would the AccuBond as well if forced to use only one. Have used 6.5 mm, 308, 358 and 375 on game and been impressed.

I'm not ready for 1 yet. I'm still learning to love the Nosler. Before, I would have said Hornady.
I think all hunting in 2017 will be BT or PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly I hunt mule deer. Time to time black bear or antelope as well.

I've been well served by the Ballistic Tip, in 6mm, .25 cal and .30 cal.

Though a Partition or AccuBond might have been a better choice, the 165 gr .30 cal Nosler Ballistic Tip did a fine job on cow elk last year for me too. So, mostly I use the B-Tip, finding that it's a lot tougher than some folks think.

I'm not ready to drop down to one kind of bullet. This thread really made me think though. At one point I would have said "Nosler Partition" but it's actually been a while since I used a Partition on game... I've loaded 'em for my son's 30-06, and he's done a fine job with them, but it's been a while since I used much else except a B-Tip on game.

AccuBond? A few used on black bear over the past few years. They work great!

Guy

I'm paddling the same canoe as Guy. I chose to step down a rung on the the velocity ladder almost a decade & 1/2 ago, so the BT has been doing just fine.

Example; 7mm/08. The 140gr is just fine for deer, lopes, sheep....Step up to Elk, or Bear and it's just a matter of going to the 150gr. Done.

That said, if I had to recommend one bullet for 'any' rifle, under all conditions it would be the AB. (and Yes, I do have a stock pile on hand )

Gil, tough one as we found the Swift, Woodleigh and Norma bullets finding their way into the chamber off our rifles quite often, depending on where we were going to hunt. We used many more Partitions than Accubonds and the North fork bullets that we tried all worked as advertise

If forced to narrow this down--Woodleigh, Swift and Nosler---but to choose only one and since I prefer less distance, and less velocity, possibly Woodleigh. ( the negative with Woodleigh however is they do not offer the variety of weights and calibers offered by Nosler )

As Charles said, so many GOOD bullets are now on the market, we are blessed

Back