LION

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
I could have posted this under, Africa, Muzzleloading, Bowhunting, or other topics (possible needing a little physicalogical help )

I hear from Jamila that her father is planning another lion hunt with a muzzleloader.

My question, money and time aside for the moment, would you hunt Lion with a muzzleloader----or----a bow ?

First, having some experience here, not the hunter however, you first have to find black powder, as you can not take any into the country, and some of the black powder you use in the states is not available in Africa and what is available there is not a good as what is sold in the States. However bow hunters are able to bring all their equipment with them ( although, Elephant, Rhino, and Leopard are illegal to hunt with a bow)

I will go first----NO and NO

Nope...I live firmly in the age of smokeless self contained cartridges.

I'll poke at herbivores with my bow or a smoke pole...lion or bears? nope.

I am in complete agreement with Hodgeman.

April, or Jamila, I am curious why one can hunt Lions but not Leopards with a bow. And is the muzzleloader requirements based on joules ? I have no intention of using either if I was ever lucky enough to hunt Africa, but was curious

Yes on 1, No on 2.
I would cherish the opportunity to hunt a Lion with a muzzleloader. But only if it was a rifle that I built. That it was a flintlock. And the caliber would be .58 or .62, If neccessary I would take a .54 as a distance 3rd. I started hunting with a ML in 1976 and fully understand the difficulties involved so as the last condition, I need a cool hand with a big rifle to back me up.
But it probably wouldn't happen because of the powder situation. I wouldn't want to take on a lion with subpar powder.
I bowhunted for years seriously but I have no interest in taking a lion with a bow. I love guns. So I would choose a centerfire over the bow.

[emoji1] the inline muzzleloaders can be submoa out to 200 yards, but bullet selection is poor.

I think I'd do the bow from a tree before the muzzleloader. Easier to take a second shot with a bow. I'm shooting mechanicals that leave 3" wounds and can cut legs off deer. (400fps Xbow with combined weight of 590gn.). It's a real meat collector.

When I'm hunting things that can eat me, I don't want a fair fight. I want every unfair advantage I'm permitted.

I would not attempt to hand spear a Lion either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman":2y5yg87a said:

Exactly !!!! I am with April, hodgeman and elkhuntermn

I am not a muzzleloader girl, but will try my hand from time to time with a bow, but not at a Lion.

John, for the most part it is because of when you normally hunt them and how hard it is to finish the job if it is not done right the first time. The proper scope on a rifle will allow you a pretty good view at dusk and dawn. And yes it is Joules, not caliber.

Darkhorse, he uses a Jaeger style flintlock, 62 with 3f ---You can for the most part only get Swiss, Wano, and Sannadex and he used Swiss on his last hunt. He does have another flinter he also uses and I think it is a J.B. Beck type flinter. Tom knows more about what dad has than I do, if he should happen along.

If mum does not accompany him this year, I will, reluctantly Ha. For the record I will be carrying a 450/400 NE

For those of you here with a sense of humor. My parents friends joke with my parents that my dad is well prepared to hunt lions with his bare hand if necessary as he has been living with my mum for years Ha

Best Regards

Jamila

Africa Huntress":1zblsotm said:
hodgeman":1zblsotm said:

Exactly !!!! I am with April, hodgeman and elkhuntermn

I am not a muzzleloader girl, but will try my hand from time to time with a bow, but not at a Lion.

John, for the most part it is because of when you normally hunt them and how hard it is to finish the job if it is not done right the first time. The proper scope on a rifle will allow you a pretty good view at dusk and dawn. And yes it is Joules, not caliber.

Darkhorse, he uses a Jaeger style flintlock, 62 with 3f ---You can for the most part only get Swiss, Wano, and Sannadex and he used Swiss on his last hunt. He does have another flinter he also uses and I think it is a J.B. Beck type flinter. Tom knows more about what dad has than I do, if he should happen along.

If mum does not accompany him this year, I will, reluctantly Ha. For the record I will be carrying a 450/400 NE

For those of you here with a sense of humor. My parents friends joke with my parents that my dad is well prepared to hunt lions with his bare hand if necessary as he has been living with my mum for years Ha

Best Regards

Jamila

I really don't want to touch that one with a 10' pole. Except to say that I laughed pretty good with this one Jamila. :lol:

c. schutte":1sfo6jt6 said:
Africa Huntress":1sfo6jt6 said:

Best Regards

Jamila

I really don't want to touch that one with a 10' pole. Except to say that I laughed pretty good with this one Jamila. :lol:
+1
Very funny, Jamila!

Interesting question April, I would likely give it a go if the muzzle loader had a scope on top and there was a competent person with a rifle backing me up :wink:.
I have been with people that hit Moose with 300gr. Hornady sabots and they knock the stink right out of Moose (y)!
It would definitely get your ticker beating a little quicker :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

I would have to go with a no & no. I don't muzzleloader hunt & don't bow hunt so not about to start with a lion.

Jamila: i would offer to go as your dad's body guard since you don't sound thrilled... but I'm pretty sure the "pucker factor" would have me being worthless with anything short of a tank haha

It may sound strange, but I have no interest in hunting a lion at this time, while leopard is high on my list. Perhaps it is price...I would rather spend that much money on a bongo or mountain nyala hunt, or an argali hunt in Mongolia.

Muzzleloader hunts are neat, but have also not been high on my list of choice of weaponry. While archery obviously is my passion!

Were I to do a lion hunt, I would prefer to use a rifle.
I am confident in my skill with a bow, but I think that those cats are just a little tighter wound than our north american wild felines and may jump the string. I would rather not be responsible for someone getting hurt because I did not make a perfect shot on an animal with the ability to seriously hurt someone, whether it be me, the PH or another in the tracking party. Even experienced hunters can and have had have problems with a rifle on these cats.

I wish for Jamila's father to have a great hunt for his lion!

I cant imagine why a good BP load with the right bullet would not knock the snot; right out of any Lion...
Back in TR's days hunting Africa either a 50/110 ( Win 1886) was considered; like his beloved .405 W " Elephant Guns" and even though the old 86 was a centerfire rifle it would not be up to a modern BP rifle shooting 3 of the 50gr
Pellets .........
But heck as A.H. says, Scotty n I would "try a Leopard with our 22 Hornets" !!

If something can eat me back I believe my minimum would be a 375 H&H. I do believe one of the muzzleloaders will kill a lion, or just about anything else on earth. Especially one of the old big bores, but I prefer the faster follow up shot just in case lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I have no want to hunt a lion, I believe a muzzleloader can produce the "power" to subdue one with one shot.

My elk load of 115 gr Blackhorn 209 under a .458 350 gr Kodiak/orange MMP sabot produces speeds/ballistics/energy that are identical to the 45/70. If you can't take it with a 45/70 than I am not sure what would... :)

I shoot a 62-cal long rifle, and they bring the stomp. There's no denying it. They bring over 300gr of lead to bear, and with a hearty charge can deliver pretty surprising velocities and trajectories. My rifle shoots 2.5" high at 50 and 1" low at 100. It falls...FAST...after that. I don't get the sense lion hunting involves long range shooting, so it should be within the realm of possibility with the 62.

But man.....one would have to be real experienced with and capable at maintaining a flintlock to fire well and reliably. Yes, it's doable. Yes, I've done it a long time.....and I like to think I'm pretty good at making them behave as I want in the field, but that's with pretty negligible consequences if I screw up. Not getting a clean shot off on a whitetail really doesn't tend to end with threat to life and limb.

A hangfire on a lion could lead to a pretty nasty experience for all concerned.

Oh, I get it. A new, sharp flint...clean gun....dry weather.....it all adds up (assuming proper lock tuning/geometry and pan/vent hole alignment and vent position on the barrel) to a fast ignition that promotes an accurate shot, leading to a cleanly taken lion.

But......it would still test my nerves. A lot.

The 62-bore will do the job if placed on target. I'm pretty confident of that. I tried to jug test my 62, and the balls always escaped jug 5 to the side. Someday I want to try again with a line of jugs down both sides, but for now, I know that they'll come out of Jug 5 and still fly. Run more powder and/or harder alloy than pure lead and it'll penetrate even more, I'd think. And a 0.600 ball doesn't have to expand to make a big hole.

Someone would need to be extremely confident and experienced at making a flintlock perform in the field before trying this. Or they better have one heck of a backup shooter on the big bore "stopper" caliber rifle.

Back