First elk hunt is officially a go

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Official CO draw results out today.

Tag awarded (cow tag), so we're all systems go for my first elk endeavor.

I've been running and cycling in a more consistent routine since Feb. Now that our turkey season has ended, I'll be getting hikes in the Appalachians in every weekend, and I continue my weight lifting, although priority is going to running/cycling for now. Currently at 16 mile rides and 4-6 mile runs....getting 16 miles on the bike in under an hour, and averaging 9:30/mile on my runs and pace is improving. I was getting in some miles while turkey hunting (opening day I covered over 9 miles and 2000' of ascent with some pretty rough rocks in the mix), but it was turkey hunting. Now I'm going to throw weight on my back and tackle some slopes and distance.

Gotta work in some range time, too. I suppose I should show up to work from time to time, although it's a real issue getting to work when I have all this important stuff to do!

Just wanted to share. Been wanting to do this trip for years. Now it's closer to reality. Gonna be a real change of pace for this PA whitetail hunter!

Congratulations, Tom! Excellent. Where will you be hunting? Rifle?

Northwestern CO...Flattops area.

Rifles--- most likely my M70 Extreme Weather in 300WSM will be my first string rifle. I have it rigged with Talley lightweights and a 2.5-10 VX7, shooting 180gr Partitions at 2975 and it'll slide just over or just under MOA from group to group. It's not my most precise rifle, but it's reliable and that load should have lots of horsepower when it runs into an elk's chest. The EW is relatively light, too, and handles really well for me.

My spare will likely be my pre64 M70 in 270 Win shooting 150gr Ballistic Tips at 2960. That rifle IS my most accurate. That load generally shoots between 1/2 and 3/4" for me at 100 and has never shot more than 1.25" at 200 for me. Those 150BT's so far show pretty stout construction. I've killed two whitetails with them, and they did not show any indication of the fragile construction BT's are rumored to have.

I talked to a guy over on 24HCF who's shot elk with them in a 270Win and he couldn't speak highly enough of them.

That rifle has Leupold/Redfield style mounts and a Meopta 3-9 on it. It's a '57 year rifle, and it's a little more trim than earlier vintages. It carries very well for me, and it is just insanely accurate.

I may do some load work on my stubborn mule of a 35 Whelen. If it comes around for me (long story on that one), I'd be tempted to take it. That one I have shooting a 250gr HotCor at 2500-ish, and topped with a 3-9 Meopta with a #4, and the rifle is a Classic M70 in a McMillan stock.

We'll be hunting 1st Rifle, so mid-October time frame. Could be snow, might not be. Hopefully will get to hear some bugling yet. My partner has a bull tag, and I have a cow tag.

Tom that is a great bit of information :wink: I am sure that your WSM will more that do the job for you (y).
I am looking forward for a couple of good adventure stories along with lots of photos!!

Blessings,
Dan

Wow, congrats on the draw! Best of luck. Seems you're already doing great prep.

I'd grab that .300 WSM and hunt with it.

Regards, Guy

Congratulations on the draw. Accurate rifles are good, but your 300 will be my first choice.
In my humble opinion lack of fitness is the number one reason guys don't kill elk. My brother kills elk almost every year with a rifle that shoots 11/2 MOA. At 52 he still runs 30 minute 10ks.
Sounds like your doing a great job in the fitness department.
Don't forget your feet, the mountains will tear them up.
I'm excited for you, this will be my fifty year hunting elk, I would give anything for the rush of doing it for the first time again. Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 300WSM will be an excellent rifle for elk. It will bring home the meat.

Congratulations on the draw, sounds like you are well on your way to a wonderful trip. Will you be guided or unguided? The 180 Partition will serve you well. Best of luck. Rol

Good deal Tom!

Looks like you and I will be sharing the same corner of Colorado, just about a week apart? The offer still stands; if our times overlap and the distance is not too far the first scotch is on me!

That 300 mag with 180 grain PT's will convince an elk to give it up! :>)

It sounds like your training is on track, plenty of cardio. The enemy of us flat-landers is altitude. Once you hit 40+ 10,000 ft is a real "itch" spelled with a B. On my 1st elk hunt I came down with a bad cold the night before leaving. That and being in my mid 40's the thin air really gave me fits for a few days. We did get there a few days early which helped. I highly recommend spending a few days in altitude prior to the hunt. That and keep your drinking to a minimum around the camp fire, especially the night before.

Hope to cross paths with you there.

chs

Thanks, guys.

Right now my cardio is on the upswing. I let myself slide in that regard for a bit, but I'm back at it. I've been doing a 10K training program and I'm nearly done, and I'm going to just go right into the 21k plan (1/2 marathon).

Feet- my hunting boots are Cabelas Meindl Perfekts, bought in 2010. I'm considering maybe a new pair in the next month or so and breaking them in before October. The Meindls are good, but not what they were when new. Folks have suggested polypro liner socks to help fight blisters--- thoughts?

I am not going with an outfitter. I'm going with another member of other forums.... forget if he's on here or not....he's been to this area before and killed a cow. But we're on our own. I have a cow tag and Dan has a bull tag. I could possibly get a bull tag on leftovers if I want, but it's a lot of money and I really don't think two tags are a smart idea. That leads to temptation to shoot two elk, and that doesn't sound like a real good idea to me. Lol

Being just south of but within easy sight of the Appalachian ridges means I have easy access to some fairly challenging hikes. The Appalachian Trail is less than 5 miles in a straight line from my back door. Finding slopes that'll offer 1000' vertically for a 2-3 mile distance near here is not complicated. I don't have the altitude, but I can sure find steep stuff, at least.

Charles, I'll be arriving later in the day on Oct 12 at the cabin where we're staying. The season opens 10/14 and runs to 10/18. Not sure how that aligns with your schedule. We'll be heading east on the morning of 10/19, hopefully heavier than we came in!

Tom,

Not having a bull tag is the single best way to find one standing broadside under 200 yards............... :lol:

In Colorado you can donate meat. Keep the cow and give away the bull. Except for the antlers of course. And don't be all that fired up about eating what you shoot. There are plenty of needy families that depend on that program.

Tom, I have Kenetrek Hikers and Mountain Extreme for hunting, wear medium weight wool socks and have never, in 4 years, had a blister. Just my personal experience. Some time ago I read a suggestion, may have been in Elk Hunting Magazine or such, don't forget to trim the toe nails a week or so before your hunt, just in case you trim too close, no need for a sore to to start.

Good boots are vital. I pushed my old boots one season too far last fall and that became a problem on my elk hunt.

I have a Cabelas friends/family invite for this weekend. I may do some shopping.

The Meindls are feeling a bit more spongy than when new, and reports on the latest ones being sold aren't giving me warm and fuzzies.

I may grit my teeth and risk the wife's wrath and try on some kenetreks at Cabelas. I've yet to hear anything bad about them.

I have a new pair of Lowa Caminos for hikers, but they're not gonna fit the bill if there's any amount of snow, or cold. I've put about 20-25 miles on them in hard rocky terrain here on the AT. Love them, but not sure they are the answer for hunting.

Every trading step you take will help.
I like Kennetrek boots also. I wear a pair of light liners under medium weight wool. I change my socks at midday if I'm in rough country. Even with dry weather I hang my boots from the ridge pole at night to dry the sweat. Simple things that only take a few minutes save your feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your elk tag draw. Went with my son on his first elk hunt last year in Arizona, he shot a spike bull toward the end of the season and we had a great time.

Your 300 wsm with 180g Partition will be a great elk load. Good luck on your upcoming hunt.

I tried a pair of Meindl's in 13 today at Cabela's. Too snug. I have them in the same size, but I got them in 2010, so I figured I should try a newer pair. Same deal. They're ok for the use I have for them around home, typically, but I'll mash toes in the mountains with a load on my back.

So...time to shop for boots.

I did snag two 2L hydration bladders today at Cabela's while I was there. My Eberlestock can stow a bladder on each side, so that's something off the list.

Besides giving my boots an upgrade, what should I be thinking as far as stuff I really need to take? I don't want to drag half a sporting goods store around the Rockies, but it's not like here where I can get from a tree stand to home and back again in a half hour if I put my mind to it.

I think I've hit the major stuff....

-I use 7x42 Meopta bino's. I'm sure 10x would be better, but they are what they are. I have a spotter, but folks who've hunted this area before have suggested I won't use it much and it's not worth taking. Since I'm cow hunting, I really don't need to evaluate antlers or anything. I need to know I'm looking at elk, basically.

-Leica RF. I got a Pinmaster, which supposedly is a white-colored CRF800. It sure has hit targets to 800+ in the field, and the optics are great.

-Packs.... I have an Eberlestock X2 for daily use, and I got a Slumberjack Rail Hauler for meat pack out. I had no idea Slumberjack made packs till I saw one for a good price. I took a chance, and the thing is pretty nice. I gotta load up some weight and take a hike in it, but for a taller guy like me, it's torso length adjustment is really appreciated. It has a fold out shelf on the bottom to help support an elk quarter on it, and "wings" and top/bottom flaps to fully surround the cargo an secure it.

-GPS....caught a sale recently on a Garmin GPSMAP 64ST. I was going to add the OnX card for CO before going. I have a lensatic compass my dad used to use as backup, and I'll probably also take a new compass just to be sure. Need to get some detailed topo's of the relevant area, too.

-Clothing...I have an assortment of stuff I use here in PA to hunt from September through late January for deer, and in May for turkeys. I wear merino wool base layers and high content merino socks, exclusively. Really don't let anything else touch my skin as an under layer. Outer wear varies a lot based on temps/weather/etc.

-Boots...I have a newer pair of Lowa Camino Flex GTX hikers. I put about 20-ish miles on them in the mountains here at home, and have a ton of confidence in them. Comfortable, stiff, supportive.....and fit well. For hunting boots, I have Cabela's Meindl Perfekts. Been great, but feeling tight in the toes, as mentioned above. I'm looking at Crispi and Kenetrek for a possible replacement.

Not sure what I need and don't need, since I've never done this before.

Any helpful hints?

Nothing like the obvious, your legal minimum of blaze orange?

Good shooting sticks is a giant help.

Might want to have a secure pocket and laminate your tags. Never know when you'll be checked.

One thing I found really handy was a blaze orange vest that had areas to stuff crap. When I hunted elk the mornings were very cool to cold and by 10 AM temps had risen some 35 degrees. It was really nice to take a couple layers off and stuff them in the vest. My advice is to have a really heavy coat and cold gear for the cabin in the event it gets that cold but, if not then go light and have the ability to shed. A outer shell will keep the wind off and while hiking around you'll generate tons of heat.

Get a radio that has the weather service like Noah. We really came to appreciate accurate forecasts each evening. It helped us know exactly what to bring with us each day because October in Colorado can be in the 70's or knee deep in snow and in the teens.

Chapstick or something for your lips. Yeah I know, sounds like your mother but, high altitude dry air will crack them to bleeding.

Mole skin or whatever the new current blister care product is. And it is not a bad idea to cover those areas prone to blisters prior to even starting out.

Spare water-proof boots that come up almost to your knees in case it gets wet. Little streams become deep quick up there.

Rabbit's foot??? :>)

Back