Wisconsin hunting

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Was curious about the hunting opportunities in Wisconsin, if we have any Wisconsin members on the forum, what do you hunt there. Big game and bird hunting ?

I think we have a few. Check out Wisconsin Teachers posts. He slays bear, deer and turkeys. Along with trapping a passel of coyotes.

I'm next door in Michigan. Wisconsin has good white tail and Black Bear. (Turkey too...I expect WT will add ruffled grouse as well) They had a wolf season, I don't know if the lost it when the courts relisted wolves as endangered.(Michigan lost out)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up in Wisconsin hunting Whitetail, rabbit, pheasant and squirrel. The Dept of Natural Resources started reintroducing turkeys about the time I left for the Marine Corps. Within a couple of up years they started having seasons for them. My buddies back there really look forward to turkey season every year, even more so than deer I think.

I've been back a few times to hunt deer and will probably get a hunt or two in this fall in conjunction with a class reunion. They have black bear hunts that are mostly in the Northern half of the state, but you have to draw and I think it's several years in between tags. I think there is still some pretty decent waterfowl hunting to be had there too. There were grouse once you started getting into the pine forests, they always scared the hell outta me when they exploded from cover and flew past at what seemed an impossible speed to hit one.

Until you get farther North, most of the hunting is on private land. But there are chunks of public land here and there.

My friends have taken some dandy bucks and I would share, but I don't like to put photos up without someone's permission.

The Northern parts of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan are all pretty similar. Deer and ruffed grouse are the main quarry, with tags available over the counter without quota. The non-resident tags are relatively affordable. You will likely be limited to antlered bucks only in most areas. Bear are more difficult. Can't speak for Wisconsin, but in Minnesota they are exclusively lottery only drawing in the areas of the state with large public hunting land areas. Hunter's safety courses are required in all 3 states if you are under a certain age. Minnesota recognizes many other state and some European programs, and has an online course option. Not sure about Wisconsin. If you have the $$$, you can get into an all inclusive hunt on private land for a real trophy deer or turkey in the Southwestern portion of the state. Wild deer, no high fences.

As for hunting opportunities, all 3 states have large amounts of forested land open to public hunting and accessible by foot, 4 wheel drive, ATV, or boat/canoe/kayak. Mapping is available online. This includes land with quality hunting opportunities if you are willing to put in some time and travel some rough country or find some "sneaky" parcels that get overlooked. I have personally tagged several nice bucks on Minnesota and Wisconsin forest industry land. Not record book trophies mind you, but good respectable deer. Quality grouse hunting throughout the forested zones of all 3 states. Squirrel and rabbit are better hunted farther south where the forest mixes more with farmland... less public land here. "The North Woods" also have many small and quaint lodging facilities as well as more developed resorts and lodges. They don't cater heavily to hunters in terms of guides and such, but would provide a comfortable room and usually a bar where you'd find your real hunting information from the locals (most likely a bit exaggerated, but usually with some kernels of truth.

I should add waterfowl to the list. Wisconsin was in my experience, pretty mediocre. There are some birds, but flight is spotty and quality hunting opportunities are few other than some truly spectacular wood ducks if you find the right beaver pond. SW Minnesota is much better, but North and South Dakota are the place to go with quality hunting through the season and everything from go-it-yourself public options to all-inclusive guided hunts with dogs and lodging for ducks and geese. Also Spring snow goose hunting.

I my first hunting experiences in Wisconsin was for squirrel, snowshoe hare and grouse on the south shore of Lake Superior almost 40 years ago. I hunt those same stomping grounds today. Though I almost only hunt deer their now on a family farm. I may think about wolf hunting when the courts allow it again. On a side note, I occasionally see five wolves in one image on my trail camera. On the farm I occasionally see turkeys this is not ideal turkey habitat.

Currently the DNR, USFS and RMEF are continuing to work on a elk reintroduction program that started about 1995. The Northern elk herd numbers around 175 as of late last fall. Currently their is no discussion yet on when elk hunting may be approved in Wisconsin.
Keith

I have been hunting in WI for 24 years and have targeted deer, turkey, and bear for the most part.

I will start with bear. There are 4 zones in the state. 3 allow hounds and are in the northern 1/3 of the state. Drawing a tag takes 5-10 years depending on the zone. I drew mine in 6 years last year and hunted close to town to avoid hound hunters. (I have nothing against hound hunters, I just knew that they would not be in the area adding more baits for the bears to hit.) There are a lot of baits in WI and you have to work to find areas that do not have a bait every mile. For baiting, we can't use any animal products so no dog food, beaver, or honey. I use cookie dough. The southern zone is bait only but you can draw in 2 years. There are more tags in that area so more baits. The central zone is more ag so finding land to hunt might be tough. Many people want more tags issued, but I personally don't. I like the system and would rather hunt for a big bear every 4-6 years than a 150 pounder every 2 years.

For deer, tags are over the counter with a few seasons to hunt. Archery runs mid-September through early January with a 9 day rifle season followed by a week long muzzleloader season(you use your unfilled rifle tag). Rife season starts so that Thanksgiving falls in during the season. My first 18 years of rifle season I hunted on public lands but with the amount of doe tags given, wolves and the limitations of using an ATV during season, we saw less deer and were not able to access the areas we wanted to hunt miles from the main road. Now I hunt private land so no more traditional hunting with 15-20 guys making drive and having fun. I now sit in a stand all day hoping others bump deer to me.

For bowhunting I have always hunted private farms that I knew as friends or by knocking on the door and asking for permission.

Here is my take, gaining access to bowhunt is possible, but you may have to ask a few farmers. Paying for a lease is an option too. Rifle hunting is crazy here. The orange army comes out and neighbors that love each other 51 weeks a year hate others during this week because they are killing "their" deer. I gained my rifle spot by bowhunting a farm for 3 years to earn their trust and friendship. Now I can rifle hunt part of the farm.

The further south you go in the state there are more agriculture/wood lots which are private lands. The northern 1/3 is forest land and more public. There are also more wolves and bears to so hunting can be tough. Another reason it is tough up north is that logging and forest management is not currently geared to deer. They need to do more cutting to allow new thick growth for deer to eat and live. Don't get me wrong, there are still deer there and big bucks, you just have to work for them.

As far as turkey hunting, the lower 2/3 of the state (ag/wood lots) is where our birds are. I hunt on the northern part of this area. I have access to a lot of land because I knock on a lot of doors. We have 6 one week seasons that run Wednesday to Tuesday. There is a draw system for tags and usually left over tags for the later weeks. This year, I applied for week 2 and bought tags for weeks 3, 4, 5, and 6 (2 tags for week 6). What I have found is that by hunting later in the season, I have more land to hunt due to less people. Most land owners/farmers hunt the 1st or 2nd week and then are done for the year. They would rather go fishing or other things.

I hope that this helps. There are other opportunities to hunt ducks/geese but I don't chase them. As far as grouse, I have never shot one or hunted for them. I would rather bowhunt for deer that time of year.

The last hunting option is for coyotes. I know that I have more land to hunt coyotes than I will every need. Every farmer wants them gone so all you need to do is ask for permission.

I hope this helps, it is a great state and there is no way to hunt everything offered. I enjoy 3 months of deer hunting, 8 weeks of turkey hunting and bear hunting every few years, but could be better if the northern 1/3 was managed better for deer and the wolves kept in check. The last thing I will add is that we do have great fishing. Everything from Lake Michigan salmon to Mississippi catfish. Where I live walleye, bass, pike, musky and panfish are what swim in the lakes. From my driveway, I have 15 different lakes within 20 miles.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35551

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=33911

This is an interesting thread. Up till now I never gave Wisconsin much thought. Also glad to see that there are some honorable & respectable hunters from that area. Who knew???????

Charles, I had forgotten about that. The Wisconsin "hunters" we interacted with on a different forum took low to a whole new "lower" level.

April, I have some shirt tail relatives in Wisconsin, and they do fish and love the Green Bay Packers, but to my knowledge dont hunt.

Charles, not on this thread but on a couple of other threads, do you think Harvey is back ?

hunternyny":2kmh3r9h said:
Charles, I had forgotten about that. The Wisconsin "hunters" we interacted with on a different forum took low to a whole new "lower" level.

April, I have some shirt tail relatives in Wisconsin, and they do fish and love the Green Bay Packers, but to my knowledge dont hunt.

Charles, not on this thread but on a couple of other threads, do you think Harvey is back ?

Probably not, that post you are referring was too organized....................... Old "two screws" is probably on his meds now.

15-20 years ago Wisconsin boasted one of the best whitetail populations of the nation. The DNR's unlimited $2 doe tags, an uncontrolled wolf poulation, a few harsh winters, and the discovery of CWD has had long lasting negative effects on the deer herd across the state. The DNR ended the $2 doe tags a few years ago and the deer population has started to rebound but the glory days are long gone.
Bear hunting is very good mostly because of the limited tags available. The last few years have seen a record number of tags available and record harvests.
Gaining access to private land in the lower half of the state is nearly impossible unless you know a landowner and/or have a bag of money to throw around.
Nonresident licenses are cheap compared to most other states.

Two harsh back to back winters have done substantial damage to the deer herd in the northern part of the state. Fortunately, things are starting to improve even with the wolf issue. The bigger issue that I see that few people are evening talking about is that in the last 10 years of so is that not much logging is occurring on either public or private land.
Keith

If your into Waterfowl hunting the Mississippi River is endless. I hunt the boarder between Iowa & Wisconsin and it has good hunting and all public. I do see Deer hunters from Wisconsin hunting islands on the river also on there side of the State line.
Just for kicks one year I hunted Ducks with the intention of hunting a different spot ever time I went just for Fun.
Some years I hunt close to 30 days of the season, even if it's only a couple hours before or after work.
With National Forests & State Land you have all kinds of places to go. One thing I have learned about public hunting Deer in the Midwest, get far from any road or public access and SIT ALL day do not go back to truck for lunch as most Deer I have shot have come after 10am.
When It is -20 F sit in a sleeping bag and let the other hunters push the deer to you.
Good Hunting

I'm 66 and have hunted Wisconsin all of my life.

I hunt mainly in the central forest zone on private property for white tail, turkey, waterfowl and small game. In the past few years we've harvest 130, 146, 154 and 181 class bucks, but those are not around every tree. Last fall the only buck I saw was a small 7-point that I passed on (3 one side and 4 on the other). Early indications are that there is a good fawn crop this year and we are starting to see a few nice bucks on trail camera a long with a couple of "small" bear, maybe 125 lbs. My wife isn't big on eating bear, so I spend my time hunting them with a camera.

I do most of my grouse hunting in more northern Wisconsin, in the Park Falls and Mellen areas. These areas had a fair population of birds last fall.

Except for bear and Bobcat a non-resident doesn't have a problem getting a license.

Gun Deer 160.00
Gun Deer (10 - 11 years old) 7.00
Student Gun Deer (not available for online purchase) 24.00
Student Gun Deer (12 - 17 years old - not available for online purchase) 20.00
Military Gun Deer (not available for online purchase) [more information] 24.00
Archer 160.00
Archer (10 - 11 years old) 7.00
Student Archer (not available for online purchase) 24.00
Student Archer (12 - 17 years old - not available for online purchase) 20.00
Crossbow 160.00
Crossbow (10 - 11 years old) 7.00
Student Crossbow (not available for online purchase) 24.00
Student Crossbow (12 - 17 years old - not available for online purchase) 20.00
Crossbow and Archer upgrade 3.00
Military Archer (not available for online purchase) [more information] 24.00
Antlerless Deer Carcass Tag (Unit specific) 20.00
Antlerless Deer Carcass Tag (10 - 11 years old) (Unit specific) 5.00
Military Antlerless Bonus (not available for online purchase) [more information] 12.00

Back