Fall hunting plans?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Learned today that I drew a "second deer" tag for central Washington, not far from my home. It's good for a doe only, but that's fine. Gives me a better chance of coming home with venison.

So, no fancy tags, just over-the-counter tags to hunt here in my home state of Washington for black bear, elk & deer. I'm back to all rifle hunting this season, set the bow aside for now. Had family and friends who all wanted to hunt, and they're all rifle hunters.

Looking forward to more time with the 700 CDL's! Gotta dust off the 25-06 for deer season. :grin: I might just use my "leftover" 200 gr Partition 30-06 ammo for black bear & elk. Hmm... Why not? Great shooting load!

Also, without traveling anywhere, Clark and I can get out after the chukar & pheasants again! My favorite hunting.

What are your 2017 hunting plans?

Guy

Sounds like a good fall line up to me Guy.

Right now I have a bull elk tag for Wyoming and am waiting on the draw for Oregon elk. After and in between those it'll be some deer hunting here around Va and maybe NY.

I just finished the applications for the same UT cow elk hunt my buddy and I did last year. We also applied for early deer tags, extra deer tags, extra elk tags, and doe antelope tags here in ID (we have to wait a year between applications if we draw a bull or buck tag and we drew bull tags last year). We should know the results from ID within the next 10 days and from UT by about the 1st of July.

I'm going with my dad and possibly my wife again for cow elk on August 1st. I know we are going to AK in September to hunt moose. That hunt will be from the 15th to the 25th. If we don't draw the early deer tag then the general season is the 10th of October and I usually hunt a day or two at the beginning of the season and try to hunt 3-4 days at the end. Elk opens the 15th of October and runs to November 3rd for the non-resident tag I'll get and November 8th for my resident tag. The doe antelope tag is the month of November. Both the extra doe tag and cow tag run from October 1st to the end of the year. The UT cow elk tag starts the end of December and runs through to the end of Jan. There will be many days of duck hunting in there also. I'll apply for Axis deer in HI sometime in there as well but that hunt wont be until spring time.

A busy busy fall but that is how I like it. The hardest part is keeping up with work but now that I have my own CNC mill I can stock pile parts and try to get ahead of the game over the summer to ease the pressure during hunting season.

I may try using my predator call for black bear again this year. I got one to come in, way too close, last year...

Guy

I currently have for white tail 2 buck tags in Michigan. Black bear and Elk drawing is drawn end of June. I should get the bear tag. Elk is a dream tag in Michigan. 400,000 apps against 100 tags. I like to dream. Will start working on a plan to get to Wyoming for speed goats with my boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't heard from Wyoming yet which tags I will have for sure. I know I'll have an any elk tag, but I put in for a cow elk tag, an any-whitetail tag, and a limited draw antelope area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waiting on draw results for Antelope, elk and bear.
OTC deer on the back 40. Got a couple of big boys hanging out there. :)

JD338

I will be hunting elk and deer in Montana after helping Rodger and will likely get a NY big game tag for deer and black bear. Bear are occasionally seen in NYDAN's area where I hope to hunt if I hunt NY.

Rol_P":3ufn56xu said:
I will be hunting elk and deer in Montana after helping Rodger and will likely get a NY big game tag for deer and black bear. Bear are occasionally seen in NYDAN's area where I hope to hunt if I hunt NY.
Rol I've seen some big black Bear on the west side of US 15 near Dan's area. Also saw some on the thru way above White Plains just above the first rest area sitting along the shoulder of the road munching on a deer carcass. Almost caused a nasty accident because all the fools had to stop and look at the bear. :twisted:

I have a pretty full plate so far, Oregon archery bull elk and rifle blacktail and Arizona early rifle bull elk and I should draw Arizona late Kaibab rifle deer as I have 19 points.

Just found out we drew both deer and elk this year in Oregon.
I will outfit myself and two of my sons with rifles and ammo.

Now to sort out which rifles to use... :mrgreen:
I will need to cull down from a 243, 270, 7mm-08, two 30-06's and the 300 H&H. Should be fun.

Camo

I have tags for black bear, mule deer, whitetail, moose, elk and lynx. I am waiting to hear results of grizzly draw.

I drew an elk muzzleloader tag for CO in September. My partner drew the same unit mule deer tag for muzzleloader, and two other conservation officers drew the same mulie tag. We will be hiking in 5 or so miles and setting up camp. I guess hunting with 3 conservation officers means I should be in good hands... :)

Then just the normal whitetail hunting with my daughter (s). Our 8 year old wants to go pretty bad as does the 4 year old... not sure they make a blind big enough...

pre6422hornet":kt2hlq6r said:
I guess hunting with 3 conservation officers means I should be in good hands... :)

Or it means you will have to be on your best behavior. :mrgreen:

DrMike":zgh04jhv said:
pre6422hornet":zgh04jhv said:
I guess hunting with 3 conservation officers means I should be in good hands... :)

Or it means you will have to be on your best behavior. :mrgreen:
and don't talk in your sleep! :mrgreen:

JD338

November is deer,December is cow elk and February is javelina. In between those hunts,I will be calling coyotes.

I drew a mule deer buck tag in a pretty good area about 60 miles from the house so that should be fun. I should be able to find a decent buck. I'm going to hunt with archery/recurve bow the first part of the season as a couple friends drew bull tags for that area and will be archery hunting there so I can go with them and have the best of both worlds.

Of course I'll do some black bear hunting also at the same time. I carry my predator call and a coyote howler with me so if the opportunity presents itself, I too would like to call one in. It would be neat to get a bear with my bow. Of course I'll have a wolf tag in my pocket as well.

Then after archery season it will be after elk and my mule deer buck if I don't fill it during archery season. Bear season will still be going on to so I'll keep an eye out for one of them. A friend of mine drew a bull moose permit and I'm hoping I get to tag along with him on his adventure. I still haven't drawn one of those darn things after 39 years in a row applying for one! This is his second moose tag that he has drawn. He got a nice bull 27 years ago and shot it with a 243 Winchester with a 100 gr. bullet at 60 yards. He hit it right behind the shoulder and it took four steps and dropped - done!

I'd like to do some bird hunting this fall maybe as well. It would be neat to work over a dog. Maybe get some ducks and geese after rifle season closes too. If the wolf tag isn't filled I really want to get after them when general big game season closes and get one this year. I love calling so that's how I'll do it and call in some coyotes as well. That's a kick in the pants.

I'm going to have to use my 30-06 for early bear before the general big-game season opens in addition to my bow. Once rifle season opens my .280 AI will get the call then, and after general big-game closes I'll bring out my 6mm Remington for calling coyotes and wolves. That way I get to use each one of them and no-one's feelings get hurt!! The bow I use is a Martin Hunter 60# recurve. Man as I'm talking about this I am getting excited! I never got to hunt at all last fall with my knee surgery that happened in April and my shoulder in August. I'm ready now! Best of luck to all you guys.

That sounds like a GREAT season you have planned David!

You know a 30-06 isn't enough gun to take a bear don't you? :wink:

Guy

I drew a multi season elk tag in Washington, bull tag in Oregon and cow tag in Wyoming, should be an interesting season.

Back