Another fatal bear attack?

Definitely reason to exercise caution when in the vicinity of bears. I've sometimes grown overly casual around black bears. On several occasions I've had bears approach within a matter of feet, and rather than kill them, I shooed them away. Probably not the wisest decisions. However, I was loath to kill a sow with cubs. Still...

Again, prayers to the family. I am sorry this happened.

Dr Mike, I have been chastised many times by many people for having the same reaction to bear encounters as you have had.

The insane thinking off the animal rights groups or at least some in that group. When at a meeting about the number of tags that were to be released regarding Polar Bears. They said, among other stupid things, that the reason their are fewer attacks by Polar Bears than Brown or Black bears is because Polar Bears are not hunted as much and they ( the polar bear ) does not feel the need to attack a human.

Prayers again to the family and friends of the person that was killed in the second bear attack along with prayers of healing for the person injured in that same attack.
For people that work in these types of environments it is imperative that they get to know the behavior and respect that they are in the bears domain.

Blessings,
Dan

Yeah- this one happened just a few miles from me, in fact- most of the Pogo workforce lives in my town.

Not many details on this one yet, but it sounds like a predatory attack similar to the one on Sunday.

Black bears have a reputation for non aggression and typically run when encountered...not so sure that it's deserved as my neighbor shot a bear stalking him in his backyard, I've been stalked in a group of 5 on Anchorage's Coastal Trail (that bear was shot a few days later by ADFG bio Rick Sinott) and had another follow me through the woods in Girdwood.

I'll take Interior grizzlies any day, up here they are hunted regularly and tend to give folks a wide berth.

Back