Moose vs Grizzly

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
Ladies and Gents,

If you were going to, say, the Yukon, either on the Alaska side or the British Columbia side, and you had the opportunity to hunt for a big bull moose or a grizzly, which would it be? Guy's last trip was inspirational!

Speaking hypothetically of course. Those trips are spendy! But I can save nickels and I will get up there someday.

I’d also like to get to the Thorofare in Wyoming for an elk hunt.

I've also thought about maybe Ibex in Kyrgyzstan.

v/r
Joel

Either moose or grizzly can be a trophy, Joel. Either can be a demanding hunt if you are choosy. Many times you can combine the two for not that much more. I do love hunting bears, so given the choice I lean toward bear. That is, until I remember that moose meat is one of my favourites. Then, I lean to moose. Okay, it's a toss-up.

Moose!

Already got a grizzly... :grin:

Honestly, if you can swing it, consider a combo hunt. I heard a lot of stories of grizzlies being shot near moose or caribou gut piles/carcasses...

Guy

Toss up I think for me too, but if I had to choose it would be a grizzly bear. I see they have delisted the grizzly in Montana and areas surrounding Yellowstone Park. Maybe I'll get to hunt one sometime soon. I suppose there will be at least a couple years of lawsuits by folks trying to keep them on the endangered species list though so we have that to look forward to.

Grizzly bear it is!

Honestly, it was a decision I had to make, and I opted for grizzly, but I would truly enjoy a moose and/or caribou hunt. Saving now!

Guy

I'd want to do a combo of both!

Both are on the old bucket list and it would be a time to do both on one hunt. A trip you would never forget.

Actually I wouldn't think twice about grizzly with a bow. They tend to just either run back the way they came, or barrel along in the direction they are facing. You don't hear of bow shot grizzly charging as much as you do rifle shot bears. I think the noise and blast of a firearm identifies you as the source of the attack and they respond to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c. schutte":1oq7rvr2 said:
I'd want to do a combo of both!

Both are on the old bucket list and it would be a time to do both on one hunt. A trip you would never forget.

For sure... I want both.

If it had to be one it'd be the griz.

EastTNHunter":1mjdqiro said:
Moose is a bucket list item for me. Grizz is on down the list, but I'm sure it would get the blood pumping

That it did... (y)

Been a while since I felt like that.

Guy

I haven't seen it in a while and can't seem to find it on You Tube anymore, but I saw an incredible video of a pretty good size brownie cruising along, and then out of the brush steps a BIG BULL MOOSE.

You can see the grizz perk up as he's salivating.

Then the camera goes back to what had to be nearly 2,000 pounds of bull moose with probably a 70" spread of heavy antlers.

Then back to the brown bear... The bear is clearly doing some decision making...

And in the end, he slinks away, back to the salmon stream. The big bull knew the bear was there, but hardly gave him a glance. He knew he was The Power right then and there...

Guy

Thebear_78":1gcpjka2 said:
Actually I wouldn't think twice about grizzly with a bow. They tend to just either run back the way they came, or barrel along in the direction they are facing. You don't hear of bow shot grizzly charging as much as you do rifle shot bears. I think the noise and blast of a firearm identifies you as the source of the attack and they respond to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be a god idea to rifle hunt grizz with Scotty. If the bear gets mad I would simply point to old Scotty and that bear might think twice about it?

c. schutte":1yhwrab8 said:
It would be a god idea to rifle hunt grizz with Scotty. If the bear gets mad I would simply point to old Scotty and that bear might think twice about it?

Exactly! (y)

That's it! Thanks Mike.

A little different from what I remembered. I didn't remember that so many brown/grizzly bears were along the river.

Ya, that's one heck of a moose, and he's all proud of his strength.

The bears? Easy salmon or work hard and get hurt trying for moose? We'll take salmon! :)

Guy

Man what a choice Grizzly or Bull Moose, I have hunted black bears on numerous occasions an never found it to be much of a challenge now the Bull Moose has eluded me for way more years than I want to admit :(.
I would take the Moose hunt first and then likely Grizzly (y).
Very good question those :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back