Boot and pack questions

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Took about a 7 mile hike today in the Appalachian ridges around my home. Started at 1300', dropped to 650', then back to over 1400'. The climb up took about a mile, so that was a fun little stretch. Hitting the ridge spine, I then had a mile and a half or so of boulder fields. Some had to be actually climbed over. Short stretches of trail, then the next boulder pile, ending at a 30' vertical climb and 100 yards of boulders to cross. 3 hours, but it was actually fun.

Some things I am pondering with my feet up in the central AC comfort of my living room now.....

1- My Lowa hiking boots felt great. I've gotten a pretty good handle on the right lacing tension for them and had zero issues through the hike. My feet feel tired, but not rubbed/blistered/etc. In my search for hunting boots, I've been looking at Kenetrek Mountain Extremes, Schnee's Granites, and Lowa's Tibet in the "Hi" version that is a hunting boot height (8" boot, I think).

After today's hike, I'm sort of wondering why I'm having such angst over this. The Lowa's I have are doing great, fit great, feel great. If I had a Magic 8 Ball, I'd shake it and get "All signs point to Lowa", I think. So that I think is settled.

2- My pack...and this one has me vexed a bit. I'm using an Eberlestock X2. I loaded it out with wood fuel pellets from my pellet stove, then added iron plates from my weight set (5's and a 2.5) to bring it to 45lbs. Then put in a hydro bladder with about 2L of water in it, so the total pack weight as I started out was around 49-50lbs. The X2 was, on past hikes, jacking up my shoulders/traps something fierce. I wrote an email to Eberlestock, and Glen Eberle emailed me back within 24 hours suggesting that I let the pack's shoulder straps be loose and let it swing back so the weight would drop onto my hips. Having it cinched tight around the tops of my hips, this does indeed spare my shoulders.

But I don't like the pack "sloshing" back there like it does when I rig it that way. When I had to climb/scramble boulders, I had to crank down the shoulder straps to control the pack so it didn't shift back and forth when I was negotiating the rocks, then loosen it up again when I was walking.

Now, granted, I sure as heck don't plan on dragging 45lbs of crapola around with me when I'm elk hunting, so the 20-25lb pack I'm anticipating is going to ride pretty easy compared to the nearly 50lb pack I had today. Unless/until I throw elk meat in it for my first trip back from killing an elk, but that'll only be a one-time thing.

I've been looking at Mystery Ranch, who's packs seem to ride "taller" and let you use the load lifters (Eberle told me they don't really do anything to help on the X2 because it's meant to ride under your shoulders). Kifaru does, too. My frame pack rides high like that and I've stood up 70lbs on that and it was cinched in tight to my back, but wasn't dragging on my shoulders. It was right where I'd want my pack.

I'm trying to decide if I want to roll with the X2 with the understanding that I won't normally load it down like I did today, or go to something like a Mystery Ranch Cabinet that can do the day pack duties as well as moving a big chunk of an elk for my trip back to get my frame pack.

I am really glad I am spending time in my boots and packs, though, and learning this stuff now, as opposed to in the mountains.

I'm really doing a lot of mental gymnastics on the packs, though. I've been around hunting gear long enough to know that "eh, I'm not sure about this thing" isn't going to magically feel better when I really put it to use in the field. I guess the little voice in the back of my head is telling me "just get the MR pack, it'll fit you right and you'll be happier." The frugal side is saying "you won't need that, just use the one you have and you'll be fine." Lol

When I was training for a hunt I would put 3 bags of shot in my pack and stuff some old clothes around them to help keep them from sliding. Just like you I'd seek out the steepest, roughest terrain I could find and hike it a couple of times each trip.
The shot was only for weight to add some weight training to my hikes.
For the other I'd decide on what I would actually carry, load the pack, and see how it worked. If a new pack was in order, only then would I worry about it.

I think you're on the right track for boots. I'm a huge fan of Lowa Tibets. Personally, I don't like the high version- no additional stability and all it accomplishes for me is sore shins.

Packs are so personal but for me, if the X2 is meant to ride on the shoulders I'd give it the boot. I use a couple of Mystery Ranch packs- the Big Horn and the 6500 (both out of production) and both work so well I have no desire to experiment until they wear slam out.

For steep terrain i like to keep everything cinched down tight. I hate a loose pack flopping around if I'm on something I can fall off of.

Have you looked into the KUIU packs? I bought one after looking at and trying on one that my friend had. I don't carry a lot of weight at my age but the comfort is unreal compared to any thing I have owned. Carbon fiber adjustable for length frame and inter changeable bag sizes. I WENT WITH THE I conpro 3200.

I have a Dana and Kelty, backpack, both ride nicely on the hips. I can carry both all day. I was wondering if the weight plates you used were loaded in a place that caused a shift in load to your shoulders. The X2 should feel better than you're experiencing. I would load it again (and again if necessary) until it feels like it's not there with a load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Lowa Tibet's too and they don't make high's in E width unfortunately. It would be nice to have them a little higher for water crossings and snow but I have gaitors to work around that. My feet get tired but don't get sore or blistered in my Lowa's. You might try some insoles to help with the foot bed. I'm probably going to try a pair this year.

I need to get out hiking soon too. I have a early deer tag that opens August 15th and I'll be up in some 8-10,000 foot country.

I run a Exo pack made here in Boise. It's pretty light compared to my buddies Eberlestock. It's the 3500 but I'll probably buy a 5500 bag before the season this year. The weigh about the same but the additional room would be nice when backpacking.

I only used three 5# plates and one 2.5# plate at the top of the wood pellets.

The pack is really filled out by the pellets, so the small plates fit in snug at the top.

The way I readjusted the suspension was a big help over how I've had it before. It's comfortable as far as straight weight bearing with the load in the pack. What I dislike is the way the pack has to be loose on my back, which is precisely what Mr. Eberle informed me the pack needs to put weight on the hips.

I'd prefer the pack ride higher and tighter.

And yeah, some SuperFeet are on my list.

But very pleased with the Caminos I'm using now. I don't need wide width, just 14's for length. The Tibet Hi should do for me I'd think.

Fitness is great, statistics show that most hunters go to the field unprepared physically. Are you hunting in the Rocky Mountians this year? Perhaps Colorado? I am thinking we are 3 months away from hunting season, and your fitness level is already extremely high. I think your boots and pack will meet your needs, and you are overthinking. :grin: :grin:

I guarantee I'm overthinking, as I generally am, regardless of the topic. :)

My pack CAN work, I'm just sort of frustrated with it. It was killing my shoulders before with 20lbs in it, so getting it to not jack up my traps/shoulders with 45-50 in it is a nice improvement, but I just don't like how it rides. It bears the weight, I'm just not a fan of having it sort of loose on my back like that. If I don't get it replaced by October, it'll do, but I want to replace, just because I'm not a fan of how it rides.

As for boots, I didn't really expect to like the Lowa Caminos this much. I'd get a second pair, but I'd like a taller boot for hunting, and I think the Tibet GTX Hi will do the trick.

And yes, elk hunting this fall in the Flattops area in CO, 1st Rifle in mid-October. My first elk hunt....I'm sure that's obvious. Won't be my last.

Tom, try the boots on an extreme side hill slope and see how they work! If they roll over then you will need something heavier. I have had good luck with mountaineering boots made by both Scarpa and La Sportiva, neither are high top but give maximum support. For my day pack I use a 2200 badlands and an external frame pack for meat and or camo gear. Scotty thinks he has found a large capacity internal that meets his needs you might PM him for info. Hope this helps, sounds like you are doing the right things

I actually don't want the height for support, but for protection against wet conditions.

I know, I know, I need gaiters. I will go that route. But I prefer the taller boot too.

Scotty and I have been talking boots and packs and such for a bit now. Just have to figure out what I'm gonna be happy with.

I use the Mystery Ranch cabinet pack and I will say it is very comfortable to wear all day. Get the weight of the pack setting on your hips, lean slightly forward and tighten the load lifters and your off. If you were around here you could try mine to see if you liked it.

As for boots I like Kenetrek mountain extreme's. Sole is VERY stiff which I was not sure I would like but as it turns out the stiff sole is awesome for rough terrain. I'm not sure if you could roll your ankle with these boots, been in some boulder fields that gave it their best shot.

I think what you have at this point is good and plenty for your hunt. You can agonize over a little extra here and there but I don't think it'll chance much in the outcome. I think between Bill, myself and a couple others we are probably pushing 20 elk packed in the last 5 years with a simple frame for the meat and I've carried a few quarters on my X2. The X2 isn't a designed meat freighter. I think of it as a day pack to carry 20-30 lbs of stuff daily and it'll carry more if I want. With a bunch of weight on it and cinched tight it will hurt your shoulders. Mine go numb after the first couple of miles so eventually I don't even feel it :mrgreen:

I can't think of much that won't ache some after long hikes with a lot of weight. I've carried heavy loads for quite awhile in some steep country, you'll get sore shoulders.

As for your boots, sounds like you have a winner with your Lowas. This late in the summer I'd roll with them and probably get a 2nd pair. If they are working that well I'd get some great gaiters and enjoy yourself. You've prepp'ed yourself and your gear is good.

IMO you have received some great advice and insight regarding your gear. What you have is going to work and work quite well. When your hunt is over you may find there were things you would change gear wise and somethings that worked better than you thought they would. Go enjoy your elk hunt knowing your gear will get the job done. Bring plenty of aspirin or what ever for sore muscles because like Scotty said, there is not much that isn't sore when your through packing an elk out.

Not quite sure I understand the rationale for loosening the shoulder straps to the point that he pack can move that much to throw you off balance. The weight should be as close to your back as possible. If you have to loosen the pack that much to make it comfortable on your shoulders = wrong pack for the jobit took me hours of modifying my Alaskan pack two years ago to fit just right for the trip in New Mexico. I had to drill extra holes in the frame, install spacers in the strap positioning system, etc....but in the end it felt great and worked well. As others have said no matter what pack you have, after you spend miles and miles under said pack with meat, you are going to be sore.

I now run a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab ( cabinet is a refined crew cab) pack and it is light years ahead of my old 20+ years Alaskan. It should be. I bought it to use as a day pack and a meat hauler and I have no doubts it will excel as both. When properly fitted I can have a full load of tire chains 70+ pounds, I can loosen the shoulder straps just a bit while keeping the sternum strap tight and the load doesn't move at all. I can twist, bend down, etc with no pack invent. When unloaded I can slip my right arm out of the shoulder strap completely to shoulder a rifle for a shot and the pack doesn't move.

They are built to carry weight. ALOT of weight.

I would concentrate on your hauling pack and build your meat hauling muscles with that. If you run the C2 as a daypack you will at least know going in that it is going to hurt bringing that first quarter out.

Just shoot the elk next to the road and not worry about it :)

pre6422hornet":1vniaqwj said:
Not quite sure I understand the rationale for loosening the shoulder straps to the point that he pack can move that much to throw you off balance. The weight should be as close to your back as possible. If you have to loosen the pack that much to make it comfortable on your shoulders = wrong pack for the jobit took me hours of modifying my Alaskan pack two years ago to fit just right for the trip in New Mexico. I had to drill extra holes in the frame, install spacers in the strap positioning system, etc....but in the end it felt great and worked well. As others have said no matter what pack you have, after you spend miles and miles under said pack with meat, you are going to be sore.

I now run a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab ( cabinet is a refined crew cab) pack and it is light years ahead of my old 20+ years Alaskan. It should be. I bought it to use as a day pack and a meat hauler and I have no doubts it will excel as both. When properly fitted I can have a full load of tire chains 70+ pounds, I can loosen the shoulder straps just a bit while keeping the sternum strap tight and the load doesn't move at all. I can twist, bend down, etc with no pack invent. When unloaded I can slip my right arm out of the shoulder strap completely to shoulder a rifle for a shot and the pack doesn't move.

They are built to carry weight. ALOT of weight.

I would concentrate on your hauling pack and build your meat hauling muscles with that. If you run the C2 as a daypack you will at least know going in that it is going to hurt bringing that first quarter out.

Just shoot the elk next to the road and not worry about it :)

Got to agree with Pat, like when have I not??? :>)

I've spent many miles carrying a load on my back (not tico) and the pack has to fit you so that it rides close while dispersing pressure over a larger area. I've had ill fitting packs and one day I fixed all of that by buying a Dana Design. (now mystery ranch I think?)

I think your boots are good, get a good meat hauler that fits you correctly and you are set.

Thanks for the reality check. Truly.

At this point, I'll be spending time on PT and range time. I have a good idea what I want to do with gear.

Tom, maybe I missed it and if I did, ignore this post

No matter how much they train at home when we take flatlanders on goat/sheep hunts they have altitude breathing problems. Drink a lot of water. Try to get to your higher altitude a couple days early and hike and glass. If you smoke or drink alcohol, stop now. Various people say rolaids, tumms, aspirin, and altitude drinks like mountain might, help them.

I am always concerned about keeping the feet dry and warm. I wear different footwear but if those work for you, wear them. However, it doesn't hurt to change socks at least once a day. Wipe out the inside of your boots at night and hang them upside down. Keep your boot's dry, keep your feet dry.

Keep the pack tight against you. dont be afraid to stop and rearrange the weight in the pack if you need to do so

Hauling your elk harvest out will be good experience for you before you go moose hunting.

Pat. you mentioned roads. What roads ? As an aside. We took some fellows out a few years ago on a polar bear trek and they ask "how long will we be on the road before we start going on foot ?" --As soon we walk out the door!

Aaron, Kelly, Chavez, Jody, Steve, ( plus one whose name I can not remember) Hope you have the opportunity to visit with some of them

Back