Rifle/Loads/Optics settled for Moose/Caribou hunt

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
The last couple weeks I have been doing final tweaking to my loads and shooting - a bunch! (60+ 375 rounds and my shoulder is tender right now lol) So as of today with it being 50 days out till I leave to Northern BC/Yukon border area to go chase Monster Moose, Mountain Caribou, and possibly a Grizz - Here is what is going with me on the guns/ammo/optics side:

1. Weatherby Vanguard DGR - 375 H&H, w/ McMillan Sako Classic and Timney Trigger w/ Leupold VXR - 2-7X33
2. - Barnes 270 grain TSX behind 72.5 of Reloader 15 for average of 2675 FPS and 3/4" 100 yard groups
3. "Backup Scope" to be carried in my pack in a cardboard shipping tube - 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest (will have 1" talley ringmounts in as well)
4. Leica Geovid HD RF binocs - 10X42
5. Leica Televid 20-60-77 Spotter

The only thing that is a somewhat tossup is the spotter. When I get to camp, we will make the final decision to take it or leave it at camp. If I leave it at camp, I have a light tripod and bracket to mount the Geovids to the tripod - which makes for an awesome glassing setup.

Attachments

• optics.jpg
    optics.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,072
A solid line up of gear. Looks like you have everything in order. Just need a big bull moose, mountain Caribou and grizzly bear to show up for a proper introduction to the 375 H&H.
I wish you all the best on your hunt!

JD338

Looks like a great setup.

The only input I'd have is on the spotter- with the big lens you can often see lots of game that is simply too far to pursue. It can also help you by finding critters you'd otherwise miss.

Nice looking set up. Interesting never seen any one take just a back up scope before.
Who are you heading up to hunt with.
Good luck.

First rate kit. Top-of-the-line in both rifle and optics. We're pulling for you to score.

I am assuming that you are hunting Cassiar and if that is true, take the spotter. The mountain caribou in that area are non migrating and will make a very nice trophy. the moose are probably equal to the moose found even further north, both here and in Alaska. This is an excellent choice of locations to hunt these animals

Your rifle/caliber is up to the task at hand, best of luck, hope you score on a caribou, moose, grizzly, wolf, and they have stone in that area, if you knock one of those down you will not be disappointed at dinner time

EXCELLENT!

Love the idea of having a backup scope along. In Talley mounts, you could likely zero it before leaving on the hunt, and if necessary, just replace the primary scope, with very little change in zero...

Rifle looks great.

We did a LOT of glassing during my bear hunt in spring. I only had my 10x binos, but each of the guides had a good spotting scope as well. A Leica, and a Swarovski. They were very worthwhile!

Best of luck.

Guy

Thankful Otter":1ug3p8nb said:
I am assuming that you are hunting Cassiar and if that is true, take the spotter. The mountain caribou in that area are non migrating and will make a very nice trophy. the moose are probably equal to the moose found even further north, both here and in Alaska. This is an excellent choice of locations to hunt these animals

Your rifle/caliber is up to the task at hand, best of luck, hope you score on a caribou, moose, grizzly, wolf, and they have stone in that area, if you knock one of those down you will not be disappointed at dinner time

I am not sure of the mountain ranges, but I am hunting with Gunson Outfitters in an area north of the Liard River Hotsprings up towards the Yukon Border. I am assuming that is big open country. Outfitter says we are so close to the border, the Yukon moose wonder back and forth. Basically a chance at a bomber moose at a canadian moose price.

Wishing you the best! Looks like the dream trip starts with dreamy gear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a good area for moose and for caribou. You are not far from the Yukon/BC border, to be sure. Actually, Yukon/Alaska moose are found northward from Pink Mountain. They are not unheard of even as far south as FSJ and Dawson Creek. There should be a good population.

Your equipment looks great and the trip sounds fantastic.
Be careful getting in shape and work up slowly. Have a great time and take plenty of pictures.

That is quite the line up of equipment. Leica is top notch and the 375 H&H is time proven.
I am sure looking forward to a great story or 2 with lots of photos :wink:.
Remember shoot straight, have fun and most of all be safe (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Dr Mike, do the larger moose get all the way down to the Peace river ? and do you/can you float hunt for them on the peace ? Is it clearly marked, so that you know when you have floated into Alberta ?

Cheyenne, we can float the Peace. I honestly don't know if the provincial boundary is marked as I've never floated the Peace over there. Yes, some of the Yukon/Alaska variety do wander down this far. They would be the exception, but not unheard of. By the time we are around Pink Mountain, the transition between the two species is almost complete.

Back