Tree stands

et_miller_87

Beginner
Nov 7, 2016
Something I never really thought about was the requirement for a tree stand. I always plopped a squat in front of a tree trunk and waited. As I start to get older the comfort of a stand is a needed luxury. Not to mention the increased line of sight and other benefits that come with a stand. But the question is, what is the most efficient type of stand to buy?
A few things to take take into consideration:
I dont own land, so I cant set it up and leave it. I hunt public land or if a friend invites me That's where I hunt.

Portability

Comfort(if its possible)

Longevity

Cost

If you had to take these items into consideration, what type of stand wpuld you buy, and what suggestion of brand or model would you recommend ?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I hunt public land and theft is high . I like to use a portable climbing tree stand . I use a lone wolf . I use this through archery season . it allows me to move around as I want . if I stay on stand until dark , and I'm going back in to the same spot the next morning I'll let the stand on the tree . otherwise I carry it out . in rifle season I use a ladder tree stand a fair amount . it's nice to have a stand in place that I can just climb into . rifle season is colder temps so I have a lot more clothes on . carrying a climber with the extra clothes gets me sweated up walking in . I'm also much clumsier using a climber with the heavy clothes ,and big boots . I'll place my ladder stand the day before rifle season starts and take it out asap . a ladder stand is a pain to set up by myself ,and heavy to carry in . it does seem to be more comfy , and easier to place all my gear on in arms reach . I don't buy the nice deluxe ladder stands , they are to heavy for me to be able to set up by myself . I buy light weight cheap ladder stands in the 15 to 20 foot high range .

I like a climber for being portable . nothing in the woods to get stolen . but the don't have a shooting rail .

I like a ladder for being already set up , quick and quiet to get into . they have a shooting rail . but it shows other guys where I'm hunting , if they find my stand . I've had my stand messed with over the years . someone took the safety pins out of the ladder sections a couple of times . I now carry extra pins in my pack . I've also had the ratchet straps cut .

I bow hunt and use tree stands.

There are two basic choices.

Climbers and hang on.

I have used both. If I keep my weight around 200 I can handle a climber if I'm in shape. I like to keep the climber in my truck because it can be ready to go as fast as I can pull it on. The only catch is you need to find a climb-able tree. Pretty straight with minimal branches for 15-25 ft up.
I'll climb the same tree multiple times to minimize trimming on the way up.
If your conditioning is not what it needs to be, you might be sweaty when done climbing. That's bad in Michigan. We have wind and they have noses. Expect to pay $350-500 for a top shelf climber.
I was able to climb a tree without a lot of noise setting it up and climbing.

Hang on you carry in with climbing sticks. I normally like 4-5 sticks because I like to be around 20-25 feet up, and shoot at 25 yards. Keeps the double lung in play. If you are shooting too much of an angle, you might get 1 lung.
Hang on stands run 50-150. Climbing sticks another 100/3. I've seen the prices vary. If you plan to carry in every time, pay for light weight and compact. I ruined more than 1 hunt by getting tangled in thick stuff with a bow and stand.

I think Lone Wolf has the best stuff. It's expensive so I carry my lone wolf in and out. I also like Hawke from Frankenmuth Mi
Affordable and light weight.

I like a minimum of three stands. Two I set for different wind, and a climber.
One advantage of a hang on with sticks, I can safely get in a big thick pine tree. I almost never get busted when I'm in a pine, and I normally get my deer.

I didn't mention safety gear.

1) do not climb a tree with out a harness
2) avoid clutter and metal on your harness as you can make a good clang if you bump it.
3) use a safety rope with a Prusick knot. Slides up and down easily until there is a load then it locks on.
4) never put your weight on a branch to hold you.

Holler if you have questions. PM me if you want to talk on the phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcjmichigan said most of what I was going to say. Ladder stands are my preference, but only because I'm hunting private land, where I can put them up and leave them without them being stolen. They're easy to get in and out of, and generally somewhat more comfortable, although not necessarily. I also use a Summit climber from time to time, if I want to hunt a spot where I don't have a ladder in place. But for public land, you're pretty much limited to climbers and hang-ons, with the caveats that he mentioned. I will sometimes take a climber to an area that I'm planning to hunt and get it attached to the tree, so I'm not fooling around with it early in the morning. Less noise, and I don't have to get there so early. When I do that, I lock the stand to the tree with a cable lock, just in case. Actually, I lock all of my stands with a cable lock, even the ladder stands. Cheap insurance.

One note about climbers: As mcjmichigan noted, 200-250 lbs. is about the highest practical weight/size for using one. And, if you are not in reasonably good shape, you may find it difficult to use safely. If you know someone who has one, try using it on a tree in your yard before deciding to buy one.

And always, always, always use a safety harness. Way too many people think they are invincible, and every year you hear about someone falling out of a stand and dying or breaking their back. Life's worth more than that to me.

Good luck!

Brian

I did have a few pics showing the difference in a few climbing stands . I'll look and see if I can find it .

a couple more things I thought of .

when I carry my climber I use a fanny pack with the shoulder straps . if you use a fanny pack without the shoulder straps the stand walks the pack down off your waist , and all you get done doing is pulling the pack up . you can't carry a small back pack and a climber at the same time . I recommend getting a climber that folds flat . these are a lot easier to carry through brush .

on the ladder stands . get one that has the floor going all the way back to the tree . this floor under the seat is the best place to put your pack . also get a stand that has side rails that come up by your shoulders when you're seated . usually these have the front shooting rail too . without the side rails it feels like I'm sitting on top of a flag pole .

I definitely appreciate the input! Looks like I need to inspect climbers and hang ons! Gotta convince the boss that I need one this season!!!!!

If you're near mid Michigan, I could let you borrow my summit
Climber

mjcmichigan":27f9pmiz said:
If you're near mid Michigan, I could let you borrow my summit
Climber

I appreciate that! I'm in central Ohio so I don't think its economical to try. Close but not close enough.

et_miller_87":287wnj2g said:
I appreciate that! I'm in central Ohio so I don't think its economical to try. Close but not close enough.

Whereabouts? I lived and worked in the Columbus area from 1989 to 2003, when I moved to the Louisville, KY area. My mom still lives in Morrow County, and my dad and brother are up in the Mansfield area. My wife and I bought our first house in Mt. Vernon, lived there for 10 years. I still go up that way to hunt with my dad from time to time.

I was ask to respond but really can not as our blinds, whether in a tree or on the ground, are all on our own property and are made "permanently" They have carpet to eliminate noise, room for three people and gear, are usually painted black inside, and are usually close to water. I dont think this is helpful to the op but did not want the person who ask me to respond to think I was not willing to contribute when ask.

In Sweden it is usually a winter hunt and we use cross country skies, dress completely in white, and sometimes use fabricated snow like blinds, but they are on the ground.

I am afraid this is totally useless information for the op

Best Regards

Jamila

bdbrown66":1577k7ud said:
et_miller_87":1577k7ud said:

Whereabouts? I lived and worked in the Columbus area from 1989 to 2003, when I moved to the Louisville, KY area. My mom still lives in Morrow County, and my dad and brother are up in the Mansfield area. My wife and I bought our first house in Mt. Vernon, lived there for 10 years. I still go up that way to hunt with my dad from time to time.
Pataskala. Though I visit knox county quite a bit!

I have a couple of Lone Wolf hang on stands. They are light weight and very durable.
I also have a Leverage portable ladder stand. It is pretty quick to set up and get you about 12' off the ground.

JD338

I have a couple of Summits for bow and muzzleloader hunting. I like them a lot. With a good set of shears I can usually get up to where I wanna be.

you guys using the hang in stands , are you taking the bottom ladder out with you , or is theft not a problem where you hunt ? I've thought about getting a couple hang in stands , but I figured it would not be much of an advantage having to take a section or two of ladder out with me .

I've done both. I will take out the bottom 2. The third one is out of reach for most.

And if I think I'm pretty isolated and hunting in 24 hours, I might leave it. Agree with you on theft being a chronic problem.

I do tend to hunt on snow so I know if I'm alone.

mjcmichigan":otcfotb5 said:
I do tend to hunt on snow so I know if I'm alone.

that's what happened to me one time . in the snow there was a big foot track and a small foot track , I figured it was a guy and his kid , followed my tracks from the parking area right to my ladder stand . they took the pins and cut the one strap . I don't know if they were going to come back for it , or just wanted to screw me up . I had that stand way back in on game lands , up against private posted property . when I would be back in there I'd never see anybody else .

Such a pity that you can't trust a fellow hunter to respect your property ain't it?

For portability you can't beat a Summit climber. Very comfortable and relatively light weight. Modifying it to use Molle straps makes it carry even better. And carry it in and out on every trip to prevent someone from "borrowing" it.

Nannyhammer":3p8377je said:
For portability you can't beat a Summit climber. Very comfortable and relatively light weight. Modifying it to use Molle straps makes it carry even better. And carry it in and out on every trip to prevent someone from "borrowing" it.
I wouldnt even care if someone used it on public property. But if its mine itsmine. That type of decency rarely exists anymore

et_miller_87":1ua7exmk said:
Nannyhammer":1ua7exmk said:
I wouldnt even care if someone used it on public property. But if its mine itsmine. That type of decency rarely exists anymore

as I mentioned on a different thread we dont use tree stands, but wanted to comment about "that kind of decency doesn't exist anymore" I have never hunted anywhere but in Canada and mostly in the three territories. We have used other peoples cabins and other people have used ours. People we dont know and we leave a "replenish cup" for them to leave money in to replace what they used. Usually they leave a note with what they used and more than it will cost to replace it, they always replace the wood and leave it clean and secure from animals. We have even had notes with a phone number on it for us to call if we feel they owe more than they left. However, I did have people steal stuff from my room when in college in the east, which is one reason I headed back to the territories after college.

my apologizes for the diversion from tree stands mr miller

Back