Hunting packs

et_miller_87

Beginner
Nov 7, 2016
As my itch to get in the woods grows I was reading through my post of my first deer ever last year. Remembering every detail of the day I finally harvested thst first doe. I also remember how ill prepared I was as well. I had my license, permit, buck knife, shot gun and a few extra shells. That's it. No gloves. No twine to tie a tag. No rope or harness to drag her out. Boy that was an eye opener as I pulled my belt from my belt loops to drag that deer out. It sucked. So here I am comprising what I need in my bag as I head out on my endeavors this year. So far I've decided I need...
License and permit
Game tags and twine
Flashlight
Tertiary knife
Deer calls
Dragging harness and rope
Water for cleaning
Water for drinking
Hand warmers
Couple rags
Hand sanitizer for post gutting
Small.med kit

Sound about right? What do you seasoned hunters carry that I have forgotten?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I take the following- keep in mind I'm field dressing, skinning and quartering in the field.

Havalon knife
Wyoming saw
Game bags (5 for caribou, 6 for moose)
paracord
tags, license, etc.
First aid kit
headlamp
fire starting kit
light tarp
head net for bugs.
Hand sanitizer and TP for hygiene
Water bottle for drinking. Usually I can find a puddle or creek to wash up after field dressing.

Gave up on gloves, alway ripped one anyway. Very little will jump from an ungulate to a person. Wolves and bears- I glove up because certain disease will jump from them to a person.

I take a decent topo, GPS, extra batteries, and a regular old compass. Been temporarily confused a few times!
EE2

If you are in the east, I recommend a pair of disposable gloves for field dressing.

A lot depends on how far "out" you might be, and the likelihood you might have to spend the night.

Keys for the truck... I make darned sure I've got those rascals secured inside my pack, same place every time!

As we get further into fall, and the temps decrease, I make sure I've got a little extra clothing, in case I need to hole up for a while, or just need it to make sure I don't freeze or get hypothermia. At a minimum that includes: watch cap/stocking cap, gloves, military surplus neck warmer/scarf. All wool or so some other material that retains insulation value even when wet.

In Alaska last spring, I had to laugh at myself. Brought two flashlights, and two headlamps... Never used any of them because it never got dark!

Guy

hodgeman":1t7awkh0 said:
I take the following- keep in mind I'm field dressing, skinning and quartering in the field.

Havalon knife
Wyoming saw
Game bags (5 for caribou, 6 for moose)
paracord
tags, license, etc.
First aid kit
headlamp
fire starting kit
light tarp
head net for bugs.
Hand sanitizer and TP for hygiene
Water bottle for drinking. Usually I can find a puddle or creek to wash up after field dressing.

Gave up on gloves, alway ripped one anyway. Very little will jump from an ungulate to a person. Wolves and bears- I glove up because certain disease will jump from them to a person.
Great list! Made me remember the paracord. Any of the land ill be able to hunt this year will more than likely be privately owned, and within 5 miles of a county road in most directions so I could lighten that list some

elkeater2":2ovoj2oa said:
I take a decent topo, GPS, extra batteries, and a regular old compass. Been temporarily confused a few times!
EE2
I definitely have a compass in mine. I thought about that after I posted and added it to my written list!

Guy Miner":273mpiuk said:
Keys for the truck... I make darned sure I've got those rascals secured inside my pack, same place every time!

As we get further into fall, and the temps decrease, I make sure I've got a little extra clothing, in case I need to hole up for a while, or just need it to make sure I don't freeze or get hypothermia. At a minimum that includes: watch cap/stocking cap, gloves, military surplus neck warmer/scarf. All wool or so some other material that retains insulation value even when wet.

In Alaska last spring, I had to laugh at myself. Brought two flashlights, and two headlamps... Never used any of them because it never got dark!

Guy
Good advice! Usually my attire includes the watchcap and I still have all of my wool military issue cold gear so that's not a problem at all! But an extra layer never hurts

Extra batteries for the flashlight.
Extra pair of socks
Extra pair of gloves
Extra ammunition
A good compass and know how to use it
Protein bars

JD338

I always carry two disposable Nitrile gloves, along with two or three of the blue tear off the roll " shop towels" ( that you buy at lowes, HD, etc..). I carry them in a sandwich bag. That way when I am done ( whitetail, elk, anything really) I can use water from my hydration bladder and rinse my arms, then I wipe down one arm with one towel and hold it in my still gloved hand. Then with the other hand take off the glove while keeping the bloody towel clenched up in the glove. Repeat for other side, then put the used gloves/towels back in the sandwich bag and into my pack for proper disposal.

I also keep a granola bar in a pocket and never, ever, eat it. For emergency only. When you are 7 miles into an 8 mile hike ( 4 down the mountain and 4 back up) and you forgot to pack a proper snack after hauling meat all day you will appreciate that granola bar like no other...

Bought a scope today and threw this in with it. Much better than the waist bag I had. Should do the trick in holding what I need.
e9aa6dba6e0987fa0e3b20a5d2a4122c.jpg

And a good pen/pencil to fill out game tags..Been there, and sweated all the way to the truck expecting a GW to appear and ask for my filled out tag!

I don't know if its true or not, but a guy I used to work with swears he forgot a pencil and found a feather and dipped it in deer blood to fill out his tag...

Back