Optics

et_miller_87

Beginner
Nov 7, 2016
I ordered a new scope today since my last one broke on me. Before I reveal what I bought, what would anyone here suggest for a man on a budget?
The scope is for a run of the mill ar-15 used mostly for 50-300 yd shooting and some coyote and hog hunting as well

I know I could spend 1500 on a scope for the same thing but my budget was about 300ish so keep that in mind.
Let "wish I would have got that..." Start!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

HTDUCK":npztof32 said:
Vortex DiamondBack
I did read about that one. Seemed decent but opted for something else. Any hi point to that scope you like?

I was going to say SWFA also, but clueless on power. They're a heckuva scope for the money.
I have a Diamondback or two and they work fine. In full disclosure, I suggested a friend pick one up for a loaner it didn't fit his eye well. :oops:

Dwh7271":vq4purw7 said:
I was going to say SWFA also, but clueless on power. They're a heckuva scope for the money.
I have a Diamondback or two and they work fine. In full disclosure, I suggested a friend pick one up for a loaner it didn't fit his eye well. :oops:
Never even heard of swfa to be honest. Couldn't tell you the slightest thing about them

I went through this recently looking for a scope for my daughters 7mm-08 and looked at the diamondback and the Redfield Revolution and went with the revolution, and its quite a scope for the price..

So I ended up buying a sightmark 3-12. I handled one at the local gunshop few months back and it was great. Crystal clear and the eyerelief was insane! Couple dudes that had them said they were comparable if not better than the vortex they had. Time will tell. Ill be sure to let y'all know how well it holds up and performs.
d42b8b84966c863b10488ff6324792d5.jpg

mr miller, a good bolt peep/ hooded integral ramp should be about what you want to spend and imho, they work very well---just a thought

et_miller_87":20hkrlrd said:
HTDUCK":20hkrlrd said:
Vortex DiamondBack
I did read about that one. Seemed decent but opted for something else. Any hi point to that scope you like?

Good glass for the money and their warranty is the real deal.
Had one of their Crossfires that didn't track correctly. Sent it back and at the time they didn't have that particular scope in stock. As a replacement they sent me a Diamondback instead, which is a more expensive scope.
Had the replacement in hand three days after they got mine in the mail.

Several years back I put a little 1.5-4x Leupold on my AR-15. The scope was intended for the AR, and at a bit under $400, I still think it was a great deal.

That scope works perfectly for my purposes. The rifle was my "patrol rifle" on duty, and now it's my coyote rifle from time to time. Works great at 20 yards. Works great at 300 yards.

Guy

Redfield was bought by Leopold. Their scope quality went up and are very affordable still. I threw a Redfield Revenge on a 22-250 and I can see as far as I can shoot a 22-250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got out to the range today. Within 3 separate 3 shot groups, was able to set zero at 100yds. Was shooting 400 yards consistently within 15 minutes of hot range. This was the first time ive shot past 200 yards accurately so imnpretty excited. This is also the first scope ive had that's worth a darn. So I'm very impressed with the scope overall.

Back