Tough Bullet Opinions - Large Game

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
I am hoping it doesn't come to it...and for now wont go into details cause I am hoping Leupold can fix the problem... but...

There may be the chance I will be taking my 270 WSM on my Northern BC moose/caribou adventure. This is a very accurate gun that can shoot long, but thats not going to likely be needed on this hunt. Max 400 yards and expect to be even closer on my shots like 2-300. Knowing this, I am wanting to hedge my bets with a super stout heavy bullet and wanted to get your thoughts.

Assuming BC and long range is not a concern, and assuming all of these bullets shoot well - which would you pick. BTW, I will be pushing these all in the 3100-3150 FPS range.

150 grain Nosler Partition - leaning this way
150 grain Swift A Frame - no experience with them
150 Barnes TSX - Not sure if I can push these as fast as the others

I would look at the 150 gr Partition first and the A Frame second. If I were to use a Barnes it would be one of the tipped versions instead of the hollow point, the 150 gr TSX would be one of my last choices but the 130 gr TTSX would be near the top. Far too many issues with the TSX bullets not opening well, the TTSX looks to be a big improvement.

My favorite "tough" bullets are the AccuBond and the Partition.

Though the Partition is actually quite soft and rapid-expanding. That rear core continues penetrating though, and earns it the title of a "tough" bullet, in my opinion.

Frankly though - I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of those choices. They're all "premium" bullets, intended for big game.

Guy

Of the choices ...Partition all the way. Positive the 270 will do everything you need it to do! Best of luck on your adventure!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I've toppled more than a few moose with the 130 grain E-Tip launched from my 270WSM. In my years of hunting moose, my longest shot was ~225 yards. The average shot has been ~100-125 yards. Any of the bullets you list will work quite well on moose. I've had such good success with the 130 E-Tip, that I never have considered a heavier bullet.

eae8b304e0cd9665dbe72c2c7df81cb3.jpg

130gr TTSX, took out both shoulders. One of the quickest moose kills I've ever witnessed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkhunternm":2hwuaok0 said:
Partition or A-Frame,whichever shot best in the rifle.

Yep - Would be my recommendation, too.
So, I'd second this one!!!

I'd would hold the 150 NPT up as the standard bullet I would want,
But accuracy will come into play at and after about 200 yards.
Try both - Pick the one your rifle shoots best.

PS: If you pick 400 yards as your maximum range don't stop short, test both bullets out to 400 yards.

gerry":2negf6ax said:
I would look at the 150 gr Partition first and the A Frame second. If I were to use a Barnes it would be one of the tipped versions instead of the hollow point, the 150 gr TSX would be one of my last choices but the 130 gr TTSX would be near the top. Far too many issues with the TSX bullets not opening well, the TTSX looks to be a big improvement.

^^^^^^^^
THIS (y)

I would definitely drop down to the 130's if selecting the Barnes.

Any of these bullets will do the job at hand.

Pick the one out of the three that shoots best in your rifle and go forth and slay some wild game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friends and I have killed over 25 moose with 160 grain Accubonds from our 7mm Rem Mags. Over half were between 300 and 400 yards as we hunt open logging. They have never failed us yet.

Math Teacher":14385zc7 said:
My friends and I have killed over 25 moose with 160 grain Accubonds from our 7mm Rem Mags. Over half were between 300 and 400 yards as we hunt open logging. They have never failed us yet.

That is quite the testimonial.

Thank you!

Guy

Just to be different.................................

I'd try Scotty's beloved Bitter root if I could get them. Might be as next to impossible so I would also consider the 150 grain woodleigh because of it's reputation on large game. It is said that they can over-expand if fired over their intended velocity. Maybe not a bad thing in this case?

That bullet is rated at 3000 fps max and I would not hesitate to use it at 3150 fps. The reason is even though they will eventually fold back on themselves they won't come apart. Most likely you'll be shooting at 100 to 150 yards and that might put that bullet at 3000 fps on target which would give you a pretty darn good expansion.

From what I have read it should not matter that much. Moose have been falling to .270's for a long time using standard cup & core bullets. I'd wager that a partiton has fallen more moose than any other bullet?

Can't see a bad option you have listed.

I lived in fairbankd alaska for 14 years, i never shot a moose with s .277 diameter bullet but i shot several with 175 grain 7mm bullets of different makes,sierra and nosler Partition,also used 180 partitions in my 300 winchester with excelent results, same for 250 grain .338 winchester. You are on the right track with the 150 Partition the 150 AccuBond would work well to, my son killed his first bull with a 100 grain Partition in a .243

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

wlhicks264":2bif5x33 said:
I lived in fairbankd alaska for 14 years, i never shot a moose with s .277 diameter bullet but i shot several with 175 grain 7mm bullets of different makes,sierra and nosler Partition,also used 180 partitions in my 300 winchester with excelent results, same for 250 grain .338 winchester. You are on the right track with the 150 Partition the 150 AccuBond would work well to, my son killed his first bull with a 100 grain Partition in a .243

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Nosler Forum, and thanks for your input! (y)

Guy

Back