My brother's 2017 Antelope hunt.

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
My 71 year old brother drew an antelope tag this year.
We were fortunate to get permission to hunt three properties from the owners.
Normally we see a lot more animals than this year, but our last draw was 10 years ago.
We spotted this buck on the Friday evening before opening day and two days of scouting didn't show us anything better on property we could hunt.
Also we were limited on how much hiking we could do by my brother's physical condition.
Opening morning we spotted antelope immediately upon exiting the truck, but distance and darkness kept us from identifying any bucks.
We opted to hike out to a slight rise where we could get a better view of the surrounding territory.
We just got to the top of the rise when this buck appeared 50-75 yards away. He stood there long enough for my brother to get set up on his shooting stick and the 130 grain AccuBond out of his 270 dropped him where he stood.
This buck isn't the largest, but is a pretty representation of the species with sharp points on the tips of the antlers.
When I did a range from the pickup, we were 326 yards from the pickup.
We looked around for a couple of days after the hunt.
It used to sound like opening day of duck season in this unit, but we never heard another shot.
The afternoon of opening day we drove around and looked at property we used to see hundreds of deer and antelope and didn't see an animal.
We did see a buck that was a bit larger the next day, but it was on property we had no access to.
All in all, a good trip for a couple of old farts and having antelope steaks for dinner tonight is a bonus. .
ba0e4a7939acc23ab11d2f2542bfa73f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Way to go fellas! Heck of a shot! (Pretty photo by the way). Maybe not the biggest buck you've seen, but nice and dark with good curl and tips. Those horns could go on my wall with a photo like that :) . Glad you got out! (beware the "old guys" with those "obsolete" cartridges- they are deadly... :) :) )SWEET. CL

Nice buck. Congratulations to you and your brother.

JD338

Congratulations!

Antelope steaks... mmmm. Love 'em!

Great that you two still get to hunt together!

Guy

Congratulations on a great hunt :wink: there is nothing wrong with that buck and you can never take away the time being together and making the memories (y).
Thank you for the post and photo!

Blessings,
Dan

Way to go gett'n it done. Never had antelope steaks, but I'll wager a bet that they're quiet tasty.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Back