Old pic first squirrel

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
My daughter was digging in some old boxes looking for something and ran across this pic I thought I lost many years ago..It's 1978 and my first trip squirrel hunting with my dad..This big ol' fox squirrel was my first squirrel..Haven't killed a bigger one yet..Been many years since I squirrel hunted, makes me want to grab the .22 and do a little squirrel hunting, and relive some old memories of hunting with Dad.

Attachments

• squirrel_NEW.jpg
    squirrel_NEW.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 640
That would make a person want to bag a few squirrels. Three of our little pine squirrels would just equal the smaller squirrel you're holding. That may account for why I don't hunt them. I sure did hunt them when I was a boy in Kansas, though. That looks like a really meaningful day for you.

Great old photo! Good squirrel - I've never shot one that big!

And, looks like a Datsun Z-Car in the background?

Guy

Love those old pictures.
I was a big fan of squirrel hunting when I was a teen ager and even up till I was about 50 when I got too busy to hunt them. You sure could hone your stalking skills while hunting them and learn how to walk in the forest with out making a lot of noise.
The fox squirrel was a trophy back then and to be honest I haven't seen many around since. I'm sure they are still out there but the areas I hunted them have been developed.
I made it a habit of only taking one a year from the areas I hunted to help conserve them.

Nothing like the first squirrel...

Don't have a picture of mine, but took Tony out for his.

We got a couple of these little ones, then only shot Kaibabs with more meat, lol.

3f2f8645e0761804dbfaffd7f15333fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks, Mike..Yes, that day still lives in my mind, and I was upset when I thought I lost that pic.

Guy, that is a "Z"...I loved that car..It was my older brother's.

Truck Driver, back then we considered them a prize too. Hardly anybody squirrel hunts anymore, and the population has grown big time! And I know a few hickory flats that are busting at the seams with fox squirrels.

hereinaz, that smile looks like he just bagged a trophy elk..Great going!

I use to find them mostly along the rivers where the trees were very mature and little activity. They were so sneaky I would hunt them when it was windy since they could flatten themselves against a tree limb and the tail blowing in the wind would give them away. Now the areas that held them are with in the city limits so no one can shoot them.

Very cool old photo, hunter24605.

That smile is priceless, Hereinaz, well done.

hereinaz":2759hu4y said:
Nothing like the first squirrel...

Don't have a picture of mine, but took Tony out for his.

We got a couple of these little ones, then only shot Kaibabs with more meat, lol.

3f2f8645e0761804dbfaffd7f15333fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, squirrels can light up an individual. Don't know that the sheer joy ever goes completely away for a true hunter.

I would hunt our abundant squirrel population here in Washington if it was legal to do so.

Not legal game here! I do think that not killing the squirrels has probably helped our resident population of marten & fishers though.

But, I miss squirrel hunting.

Guy

:shock: Tree rats are not legal?!?!?!!! How do kids learn to hunt where you are?!? I am so sorry that you are deprived of a fine usage of that 39.... Do martens and fishers look that much like a squirrel? CL

Great photo! Squirrel was probably my favorite hunting even up into my later teens. I just loved it, and mamaw squirrel and gravy! Sadly I have not been in probable ten years. Keep telling myself I'm gonna get out the old crack shot 22 and relieve my younger days. Hopefully I will soon. Guy I can't believe squirrels aren't legal! I honestly thought that's what every kid in America started out hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the z car! I think those big squirrels could swallow my cat! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back