What To Take

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
As you all know I'll be hunting Elk out of Upper Canyon Lodge in Montana this year and since this a DIY hunt all meals and lodging is part of the package I paid for.
I was wonder what you guys would suggest I take along besides my rifle and ammo.
Things I might need while out in the mountains and what clothing you might suggest to stay warm and dry.
Hunting here on the east coast isn't the same as I expect to find in Montana.

Roger,

When is your hunt and at what elevation?

As for equipment, a GPS, good compass, sharp knives and sharpener, whistle, rope, 2 bic lighters, laser range finder, survival blanket, extra socks.

JD338

Sure hope you enjoy yourself Roger and have some great success! I am assuming you are taking a daypack of some type with you to put the extra stuff in. Some good binoculars would be high on my list along with the items that Jim suggested.

Well broken in leather hunting boots with good traction. Depending on when you are going some leather top rubber bottom pack boots would be great if it's later in the season. Some decent hiking poles can sure come in handy too and you can get some without breaking the bank.

Good dependable clothing. Hard to answer much more without knowing the time of year you are heading out.

David

JD338":x6hctyjz said:
Roger,

When is your hunt and at what elevation?

As for equipment, a GPS, good compass, sharp knives and sharpener, whistle, rope, 2 bic lighters, laser range finder, survival blanket, extra socks.

JD338
Second week of Montana's opening season in October. Not sure what the elevation is at Alders Mt.
Just found out the elevation is between 7000' & 8000'

Two strong, young guys to pack out your elk? :mrgreen:

A mule or two perhaps?

Is this the place? http://ucomontana.com/unguided-hunts/

If so, it looks like a pretty good place. Operating at 7,000' and more is going to be difficult if you don't spend much time up there. Hope you've been working on cardio conditioning. Even so, see about spending a couple of days at that altitude to help acclimate.

I think you've seen some great suggestions from JD338 and 6mm Remington.

Quality glass, and comfortable boots can be a huge help. Laser Rangefinder. I know you can shoot well, but beyond 300 yards, I find a laser to be a huge help.

Warm, comfortable sleeping bag. A good night's sleep helps tremendously.

Best of luck Roger. Dang, I'd like to be hunting there this year!

Regards, Guy

Roger - 7,000' in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming or Washington, in October is no joke.

It can be sunny, nice, temps in the 50's or 60's, or maybe even warmer.

Or you could be in a blizzard, 20's, snowing and blowing.

Please dress accordingly. I always have at least a gore-tex top, if not top & bottom, as my shell garment. Fleece is an awesome insulating layer, along with some quality wicking long johns.

Consider hauling along a pair of gaiters, to keep snow out of your boots. You may not need them. On the other hand...

Be prepared for winter weather, just in case.

Guy

I have no idea what you need to carry, but wishing you much luck! Hope you have a great experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy Miner":3h7dp588 said:
Two strong, young guys to pack out your elk? :mrgreen:

A mule or two perhaps?

Is this the place? http://ucomontana.com/unguided-hunts/

If so, it looks like a pretty good place. Operating at 7,000' and more is going to be difficult if you don't spend much time up there. Hope you've been working on cardio conditioning. Even so, see about spending a couple of days at that altitude to help acclimate.

I think you've seen some great suggestions from JD338 and 6mm Remington.

Quality glass, and comfortable boots can be a huge help. Laser Rangefinder. I know you can shoot well, but beyond 300 yards, I find a laser to be a huge help.

Warm, comfortable sleeping bag. A good night's sleep helps tremendously.

Best of luck Roger. Dang, I'd like to be hunting there this year!

Regards, Guy
Yep that's where I'm going along with Rol-P and we will be staying in a cabin so keeping warm while sleeping shouldn't be a problem but while up on the mountain might be different.

Roger, here is what I carry in my day pack under the same conditions. Two head lamps, light binoculars, light weight rain gear ( everyday), fire starter, more fire starter, water (lots of water) , protein bars, chocolate, more chocolate, gators (wear them everyday) couple of knives, range finder, GPS, and compass, first aid kit, Wyoming saw, extra pair of socks, wool gloves, a hat that the covers my ears and eyes, sweater, light rope, Rescue Beacon, a few double A batteries, book, or kindle, toilet paper.
As far as other gear, and extra rifle, zero degree bag, down jacket, couple of changes of clothes, (socks every day) extra waterproof boots, long underwear, pillow, another sweater, light weight shoes for camp wear, beer, ( more beer), toiletries, and the like, medication, if you require any and cash. . I am sure that if I forgot something, someone else will help me out.

41magnut":1w9ojt9c said:
Chapstick

For sure! I hate myself when I forget it.

Pack frame? Rangefinder? Rifle cleaning kit? Sunscreen? Ibuprofen?

Roger since you're hunting out of a cabin, no need to pack too light.
7,000 feet as Guy noted, is no joke. You could get two feet of snow while you are hunting. You could also suffer heat related injuries.
Add a small first aid kit, couple of bandaids, some mile skin, that kind of thing.
I'm also an advocate for extra boots. Couple of years ago I came upon a young man who had built a warming fire and fell asleep with the soles of his boots facing the fire. His boots didn't catch fire but the soles delaminated. Just saying.
Hope you have a great hunt.

Ya, I saw a Marine who left his boots too near the fire at the Mountain Warfare Training Center. His boots were cooked by the time he grabbed them. We had to get a new pair of boots to him. That took a couple of days.

Guy

Layer your clothing and be prepared to spend the night on the mountain with the gear to stay warm and dry.
A small saw is good, but also take a heavy knife to make kindling or a small hatchet if you can take the extra weight. Carry some tea or hot chocolate for on the mountain for breaks or staying out.
Ibuprofen and acetominaphen for pain and swelling.
Water purification tablets so you do not get beaver fever.

Lots of hundreds Roger! They are light and easy to carry,
And fold nicely so you can carry plenty of them!
Always seam to come in handy and they take them anywhere! :lol:
Good luck
E

Rodger the last few years I have packed differently then when younger years. I also take a second pair of boots cause my waterproof boots always seem to get wet at least once :shock:. Also you can not have enough extra pairs of wool socks I try to take all different weights with at least 75% Merino wool in them (y).
Also find that protein bars with peanuts as they seem to stay with me longer.
Also a extra pair of glasses & also sunglasses.
I have not seen anyone mention a good lightweight camera cause remember you are hunting for all of us :mrgreen: no pressure Bud.

Blessings,
Dan

Buy the best boots you can afford and break them in ,same on raingear ,dress in layers so you can pull off or put on . Buy you a good pack, some of the internal frame ones are the most comfortable. I think most of the other guys have mentioned all the other important stuff except water bottle and something to build a fire with if you had to stay all night on mountain away from camp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Rodger, everybody has given you good advise. We take some different things, like extra leather straps, leather punch, rope, pulley, hatchet, trekking poles, things like this that I never see mentioned so I think we are just hunting differently than others here is all. I would stick with all the aforementioned posts/advise.

I would like to bring your attention to Gil and Elkmans posts. Gil mentioned items you will need if you dont go back to your cabin each night, which we hardly ever do. So whatever you feel you will need for a night or two in a spike camp would be important especially since the weather could change drastically while your in the spike camp. Elkman is the only one that mentioned an extra rifle. We always take an extra rifle and ammo for it, even to the spike camp.

Altitude might be your worst enemy, try to spend a couple days at the cabin before you start hunting and take scouting trips.

Also if your going to be in Grizzly country, read the thread about hunting in Grizzly country, if you have not already done so, especially if your hunting DYI . Keep your rifle with you at all times when your preparing your harvest for the return back to the main cabin. Or if you guys are hunting together, one can stand guard, but I still keep my rifle with me even if someone is standing guard. Do you like my positive thinking --not "if", "when"

Thanks for all the replies folks. Much good advise. I expect to be with Rodger much of the time.
It is his hunt so I will not be carrying my rifle but will be packing bear spray and a .44 mag Ruger in a chest holster to address the unexpected. also have a garmin inReach Satellite message machine with GPS to contact Upper Canyon for a pack out crew when needed.
I also suggested Rodger get elk and deer size game bags as I have.
Keep the ideas coming. Thanks again. Rol

Back