Moose hunt?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
My wife and I are getting ready for deer season here in WI and were talking about dream hunts. The conversation ended with us wanting to book a moose hunt in 4 years from know.

Here is my thought, my wife will be the shooter, I will be there as support and to enjoy the time with her. I would like it outfitted but we can't swing a $10,000-15,000 Yukon moose hunt. The reason for only one tag is that, killing two moose would be a lot of meat and work getting it home.

Does anyone have a direction to point us in? We are willing to work extra hours to pay for this, work hard to get in shape and practice shooting so we are ready.

Maybe look at doing a guided hunt somewhere in Canada? It's a little easier to drive there, and back with meat. And the cost would be a bit less than Alaska. They've gone up since I went in 2003 but still look fairly affordable.

Ontario does a group hunt. It's strange. A bull and calves for the others. It's 2500 each. If you know another couple you are there.

I know Melanie from Hearst Air. They have lodges and Moose hunts. I know she does the outdoor shows in Grand Rapids and Detroit.

Here's the link
http://www.hearstair.com/moose-hunting/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard Newfoundland has the densest population of moose in North America. Seems like there is a high success rate there too. Maybe Dan can give you an idea of what Saskatchewan has for good moose hunts.

for "affordable" I think Newfoundland will be the winner... A chest freezer and a portable generator will bring back two eastern moose in the back of a pickup and it's a scenic drive to boot.It IS a lot of meat. A lot of tender, tasty meat.

I too would look into Newfoundland :wink:!
To the best of my knowledge Saskatchewan does not have a guided hunt for Moose :(.
We are famous for our monster Whitetail and I know you can book them.
One thing I have not checked into is Moose hunts on northern First Nations Lands which is controlled by them.

Blessings,
Dan

Tjay unfortunately there is a total band on Moose hunting in Manitoba and has been in place for a few years already :(.

Blessings,
Dan

wisconsinteacher":16b4e3ze said:
My wife and I are getting ready for deer season here in WI and were talking about dream hunts. The conversation ended with us wanting to book a moose hunt in 4 years from know.

Here is my thought, my wife will be the shooter, I will be there as support and to enjoy the time with her. I would like it outfitted but we can't swing a $10,000-15,000 Yukon moose hunt. The reason for only one tag is that, killing two moose would be a lot of meat and work getting it home.

Does anyone have a direction to point us in? We are willing to work extra hours to pay for this, work hard to get in shape and practice shooting so we are ready.

You need to get "Alberta Bound" my friend!!! Offer still stands for a hunter host up this way.. you would have to start applying for the draw though.
You and Your wife would have to decide if you want horns or meat, cause a cow tag is a 3-4 year wait , bull depending on zone can be from 5 to 12 years.
If you went on a guided hunt you can get bull tags I'm not sure of the cost of an Alberta guided hunt. But you have quite a choice from western mountain/foothills hunt ,to northern muskeg/boreal forest hunt, or to where I am
On the edge of the boreal into farmland / prairie hunt. Possibilitys are endless depending on what you really want.. on a side note [emoji106][emoji106]
335f74098fafdfd8e210dcbd921f66ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sask boy

I looked online and could not find any mention of a ban on moose hunting in Manitoba. The outfitters I also checked are advertising 2017 and 2018 hunts.

Do you have a link to something I missed? It would be a shame to have the hunts ended.

Ok I found this. From Oct 2015

The moose population is declining in Manitoba's Turtle Mountain area, and hunting the animals in the area is no longer an option says Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship.

Manitoba wildlife officers seek leads in illegal moose hunting cases

Reversing the decline of the moose numbers in Manitoba

The restriction comes after the province closed moose hunting in five other areas; including Duck Mountain, Red Deer Lake, Swan-Pelican, Porcupine Mountain and Nopiming to help the population recover.

There is one section of Duck Mountain — Game Hunting Area 19A — where licensed hunters cannot hunt moose, but indigenous and Métis harvesters can.

The province will monitor the animals closely, says Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship, and if the population increases to what it considers acceptable, the restrictions will be lifted.

Further searching looks like the area I hunted, area 9, is still open as well as a bunch of others.

Tjay, I should have checked myself instead of listening to on line hunting group. There is not a total moritorium on Moose hunting :oops:. If you check their hunting guide there is at least 15 zones in the northwest part of Manitoba that have had Moose hunting band this area borders the north eastern part of Saskatchewan. The area for guided hunts is still open based on a set number of licenses.
The area that is band has had a decrease in the Moose population by almost 75% in the last 10 years.
I apologize for the mis information :oops:!!

Blessings,
Dan

You can do an AK moose hunt completely DIY for not so much money... if you've got 4 years to do the research, you should be ready to go. You can do an air taxi a lot cheaper than an outfitter.

Driving the AK highway with a freezer and a generator gets all the meat home safe and sound.

Hodgeman and Super7 may be your best options if all your after is a moose hunt and meat, not a trophy. super7 would probably be the least expensive as he can be your resident guide after you draw and the driving is not bad at all.

But Hodgeman is also correct, an Alaska DIY might be pretty cool. Hodgeman can he DIY unit 25 and would that be a good unit to DIY ( think 25 is the unit Brooke likes but may be wrong )

Europe":unj5nweu said:
Hodgeman and Super7 may be your best options if all your after is a moose hunt and meat, not a trophy. super7 would probably be the least expensive as he can be your resident guide after you draw and the driving is not bad at all.

But Hodgeman is also correct, an Alaska DIY might be pretty cool. Hodgeman can he DIY unit 25 and would that be a good unit to DIY ( think 25 is the unit Brooke likes but may be wrong )

Yeah- GMUs 13, 20, 24, and 25 would all be good choices. Each receives a fair amount of pressure from the road, but a short air taxi ride leaves them behind or simply out hunt them. Moose tactics are straightforward but requires a lot of patience and time in pressured areas.

You could take an air taxi from Delta, Tok, Glenallen or Fairbanks and be in great moose country in less than an hour. Pay close attention to antler restrictions- try for "any bull" areas as judging moose in the field can be tough. "Any bull" units typically have less pressure and higher populations of moose as well.

There are a couple of lodges that do "near DIY" types of trips, but I don't know if they are in non-resident areas or not.

There are a couple of guys up here who do hunt planning services for non-res DIYers- but both tend to focus on float hunts.

WT,
I did a DIY Alaskan Moose hunt in 2013. We had a good hunt. Hired an air taxi to fly us into a spot 45 miles off the road. It was great. We harvested one bull out of 3 hunters and all shared in the work packing it to the air strip. It took 2 days to pack (11) 80 lb loads of de-boned meat and (1) load of antlers 1 mile uphill 800' vertical. The weather was rain, rain, and more rain until the day we flew out. Cost of entire trip with license per guy from home to home was $3500. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Just drive up to Fairbanks bring your camping gear and ATV and meat wagon.
Just outside town..........a lot of 3 year old bulls out this year no guide needed.
Season over 20 Sep in 20B area......... Any bull

Our bull for 2017

Cost $45 for hunting license and $30 for food
Processing fee is .95 per pound at butcher at Delta Meats.

Maybe $500 total for everthing

"My Backyard is my Meat Department"

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,862
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 1,857
Back