Northern BC Moose/Caribou - 19 days and counting

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
Morning of Sept 12th, I will be leaving Boise, headed north to the Liard River Hotsprings area to hunt with Gunson Outfitters for Moose and Caribou. Excited is an understatement - other than the 31 hour drive...lol This is a remote horseback hunt near the Yukon border. Will focus on a big Trophy moose, but also have wolf and caribou tags. Been tweaking my gear list and since I am driving will have the flexibility to leave extra/non needed stuff in my truck at camp once we head out. But for now, Here is my updated Gear List:

CLOTHES
KUIU 130 ZIP – 1
UA Sliding shorts – 3
Teton short sleeve base – 1
UA Heat Gear Base – 2
Teton Pants – 1
Phantom Attack Pants – 1
Peloton Zip – 1
Teton Shell Coat – 1
Super Down Puffy Coat – 1
Teton Rain gear Set – 1
Kuiu guide beanie - 1
Kuiu Gators – 1
Killik Gloves – 1
KUIU/UA Socks - 4
Boots – All Leather Danner Pronghorns
Leather belt
Hounds Camp Shoes

Rifle – Weatherby VG DGR – 375 H&H Mag, Neoprene Sling
Scope – Leupold VXR 2-7X33, Warne Steel Rings/Mounts, allen key for just in case
Ammo – 260 Nosler Partition Handloads – 2880 FPS
Binoculars – Leica Geovid HD – 10X42
Ltwt vanguard tripod and BOG gear binocular mount
GPS – Garmin 650
Pack – KUIU 3200
KUIU Pack Rain fly
Knife – Havalon + Benchmade fixed blade
Gerber Saw Kit (Wyoming saw knockoff)
Camera – Samsung Digital
Water Bottle – Life Straw and Camelback Groove Filtered Bottle
Head Lamp – Petzl – rechargeable as well as battery operated
Sleeping Bag – Outdoor Vitals – o degree
Pad – Big Agnes
Mos. Repellent
Personals – (tooth brush, deodorant, Monkey Butt Powder, ect.)
Costco Baby Wipes
Moleskin
Sat Phone – renting one
First Aid Kit
Pack Snacks – Protien Bars, candy bars, crystal light packets, jerky
8x10 tarp
Game Bags – 4 ltwt elk quarter mesh bags
Paracord – 100 feet
Remington Gun Wipes packs
Book to read

Chest Freezer in back of truck with Honda 2000 generator to bring meat back home.

What am I missing? What else do I need...lol

One thing is certain--you're in a great area for moose and caribou. You should do well. There are assuredly plenty of wolves in that area. We're all pulling for you.

I'll beat you to the field by 6 days and we should have a meat hauling/restocking fight on the 12th but we will be in AK not BC. We leave on the 5th and return on the 20th.

Good luck to you. There are some big elk in that country too.

idahohunter8":57y5uvpj said:
Morning of Sept 12th, I will be leaving Boise, headed north to the Liard River Hotsprings area to hunt with Gunson Outfitters for Moose and Caribou. Excited is an understatement - other than the 31 hour drive...lol This is a remote horseback hunt near the Yukon border. Will focus on a big Trophy moose, but also have wolf and caribou tags. Been tweaking my gear list and since I am driving will have the flexibility to leave extra/non needed stuff in my truck at camp once we head out. But for now, Here is my updated Gear List:

CLOTHES
KUIU 130 ZIP – 1
UA Sliding shorts – 3
Teton short sleeve base – 1
UA Heat Gear Base – 2
Teton Pants – 1
Phantom Attack Pants – 1
Peloton Zip – 1
Teton Shell Coat – 1
Super Down Puffy Coat – 1
Teton Rain gear Set – 1
Kuiu guide beanie - 1
Kuiu Gators – 1
Killik Gloves – 1
KUIU/UA Socks - 4
Boots – All Leather Danner Pronghorns
Leather belt
Hounds Camp Shoes

Rifle – Weatherby VG DGR – 375 H&H Mag, Neoprene Sling
Scope – Leupold VXR 2-7X33, Warne Steel Rings/Mounts, allen key for just in case
Ammo – 260 Nosler Partition Handloads – 2880 FPS
Binoculars – Leica Geovid HD – 10X42
Ltwt vanguard tripod and BOG gear binocular mount
GPS – Garmin 650
Pack – KUIU 3200
KUIU Pack Rain fly
Knife – Havalon + Benchmade fixed blade
Gerber Saw Kit (Wyoming saw knockoff)
Camera – Samsung Digital
Water Bottle – Life Straw and Camelback Groove Filtered Bottle
Head Lamp – Petzl – rechargeable as well as battery operated
Sleeping Bag – Outdoor Vitals – o degree
Pad – Big Agnes
Mos. Repellent
Personals – (tooth brush, deodorant, Monkey Butt Powder, ect.)
Costco Baby Wipes
Moleskin
Sat Phone – renting one
First Aid Kit
Pack Snacks – Protien Bars, candy bars, crystal light packets, jerky
8x10 tarp
Game Bags – 4 ltwt elk quarter mesh bags
Paracord – 100 feet
Remington Gun Wipes packs
Book to read

Chest Freezer in back of truck with Honda 2000 generator to bring meat back home.

What am I missing? What else do I need...lol

Only thing I can see missing is a thermo-cell. You will thank me.
Border patrol treats hunters suspicious so make sure the only ammo in your truck is for your rifle. If they find pistol ammo or 22 ammo they will search your truck with a fine tooth comb. Maybe paper work to do to cross back with your meat and hides/horns .

Have a great trip, which route are you planning on taking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man it sounds like you have a great hunt planned :wink:. I think we are all looking forward to a great story or 2 along with lots of photos :) .
Shoot straight, have fun and most of all be safe (y).

Blessings,
Dan

You suck, no really you suck! Only joking!! I wish you the best of luck. It sounds like a great adventure and I wish you the best of luck. Hope you get a wolf as well.

Remember these posts are no good without pictures. Take lots of photo's. You will appreciate them later.

David

I didn't see big dope on your list. I have no idea how the little buggers are in Canada but they are as bad as I've ever seen in SW Alaska this summer.
Looking forward to your report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know about big dope (I may have hunted with one or two) :? , but I do know that bug dope can be helpful. :mrgreen: Had to tease you just a bit. :grin:

DrMike":2xhbodf3 said:
Don't know about big dope (I may have hunted with one or two) :? , but I do know that bug dope can be helpful. :mrgreen: Had to tease you just a bit. :grin:

I thought he was referring to his hippie days in California, thanks for the clarification dr Mike

salmonchaser and Dr Mike are correct, if salmon chaser was talking about bug dope---dont forget to take some

Wow! Hadn't even thought about a reference to hippie days, April! It fits. May not keep the bugs away, but you wouldn't care. Psychedelic bugs? A kaleidoscope whirling about the head. :shock: Hmmm.

Back