An Evening with Nosler

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
We finished up our crop damage season last evening, filling 4 tags.
I set up on a bean field half mile away from the farm anticipating some long range action. I had the 338 RUM loaded up with the 250 GR AB and ended up shooting a big doe at 100 yards, DRT.
Meanwhile, back at the farm, Sue sat on a bean field with her M48 280 AI loaded up with 140 gr BT's and got a double. Both does DRT at 200 yards.
My daughter Danielle sat with her 700 Classic 257 Roberts with 115 gr BT's and her boyfriend Mickey with. Savage 7mm RM loaded up with 140 gr BT's on another bean field. At last light, l heard another shot.
Mickey had shot a 100 yard shot on a butter ball buck,. The 4 pt dropped right there. This was his first deer ever and he was excited.
So our evening was successful, 4 shots 4 DRT deer.
It's Nosler time!

JD338

Jim - it is a little funny, that you had your long-range deer-sniping rifle... 250 grain .338" bullets... And smack that doe at very modest range! :)

I've had similar things happen...

Guy

Guy Miner":1bz9y1zi said:
Jim - it is a little funny, that you had your long-range deer-sniping rifle... 250 grain .338" bullets... And smack that doe at very modest range! :)

I've had similar things happen...

Guy

Guy,
I kicked myself for not taking my AR15 22 Nosler loaded up with the 64 gr BSB bullets. That would have been a perfect set up!
What I thought was cool was my daughter Danielle wanted her boyfriend to get a deer more so than herself. She is my hero!

JD338

Excellent report, Jim. Sounds as if it was successful in more ways than one. Glad to read that Mickey dropped his first deer while shooting with his dear.

JD338":19iqrof6 said:
I kicked myself for not taking my AR15 22 Nosler loaded up with the 64 gr BSB bullets. That would have been a perfect set up!
What I thought was cool was my daughter Danielle wanted her boyfriend to get a deer more so than herself. She is my hero!

JD338

Yep, we all want to see those we care about get their first animal, it's just as exciting or even more so than shooting one for yourself. Congratulations to all on filling the freezer.

congratulations to Danielle, well done girl.

oh--- and congratulations to Jim and mickey as well lol

seriously what a great day for everyone

Europe":930s0pfc said:
congratulations to Danielle, well done girl.

oh--- and congratulations to Jim and mickey as well lol

seriously what a great day for everyone

April,
Thank you for your comments, very much appreciated.
My girl friend Sue also had some excitement. She shot 2 does in a couple of minutes, dropping them in their tracks.
It was a great hunt with a lot of Dynamics going on. I am happy that the rest of the group was able to "get the rush"!

JD338

Jim, your welcome, but in all honesty, I read your original post wrong--god I hate getting old

Congratulations to Sue. Well done, that had to be a rush for her.

Danielle, next time you will have to not be so kind as to let your boyfriend take your deer, but sometimes we have to do what we have to do girl lol Seriously, from memory you have taken game in the past and this was his first deer, that had to be exciting for everyone.

Jim. Did you show mickey how to dress the animal out as well or did Danielle show him ?

Bottom line---what a great day Jim!

Sounds like a great time had by all along with the Blooding of a new hunter with his first kill.
Did your daughter put the traditional stripes on his cheeks?:)

Something else I learned.....

Danielle told me that when she was sitting with Mickey that he spotted the deer in the hay field and got pretty excited. Danielle coached him to get on the buck and put her hand on his shoulder to reassure him. She spoke to him in a calm voice telling him where to hold and to squeeze the trigger.
Danielle said "just like you did for me Dad when I shot my first buck".
Wow. I thought that was pretty awesome.

JD338

JD338":1ov4rjbq said:
Something else I learned.....

Danielle told me that when she was sitting with Mickey that he spotted the deer in the hay field and got pretty excited. Danielle coached him to get on the buck and put her hand on his shoulder to reassure him. She spoke to him in a calm voice telling him where to hold and to squeeze the trigger.
Danielle said "just like you did for me Dad when I shot my first buck".
Wow. I thought that was pretty awesome.

JD338
Way to go Jim! Congratulations on having such a fine young woman you raised exceptionally well!

Back