2017 Idaho Fall Spot and Stalk Bear Down

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
Bear Selfie Saturday? I surely earned this one. Found him heading down for a drink 4 miles in, in some nasty country. 215 yard shot with the 375 H&H and 260 Nosler Partition at 2800 FPS put him down for the count. However, like all bears, he found a crap hole to die in...my pack was as heavy as its ever been on the way out from the bottom in 99 degree heat...I cussed, swore, and thought about giving up bear hunting for a few hours This was the most grueling pack out I may have ever had in my hunting career..... and as I finally reached the truck and started to reflect - realized I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

OYyk8iN.jpg

uGUk4Jm.jpg

SMzb8kv.jpg

rvUqDgW.jpg

A lovely bruin! Yeah, looks as if you earned that one. The memories will sustain you for many years to come.

Well done, nice color. I understand that sweat makes bear eat better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beautiful landscape;good bear;hard walk out;what more could a real hunter want. just plain fun.

beautiful landscape;good bear;hard walk out;what more could a real hunter want. just plain fun.

Welcome aboard, lanny. Always a good thing to see new people posting.

Excellent! Congratulations.

And, it looks like the skies were pretty smokey too?

Yes, spot 'n stalk bear hunting is really something! Tough country no doubt.

Regards, Guy

Congrats on a great bear taken in a beautiful countryside. Very nice color on that bear. All you have to decide now is whether to do a live mount or not. (y)

Congratulations on your bear. Beautiful color phase.
The 375 H&H served you well.

JD338

On a side note, figured I would share the bullet performance.

The bear was at 215 yards nearly head on - very strong quartering towards me but at a down hill angle. The bullet it mid shoulder, went through lungs, guts, and exited out the rear leg leaving a whole the size of a softball. Went through 4' of bear and turned the entire insides into jello.

According to the ballistic charts, the bullet impacted at approx 24-2410 FPS and around 3350 Ft lbs of energy.

Crazy he soaked that hit up and ran 200 yards before dying in the bottom.

Bears can absorb an amazing amount of energy and still run like crazy. Great work and excellent report on terminal ballistics.

The 375 H&H is a time proven calibre and as usual she did her job :wink:.
Thank you for the beautiful photos and post (y).

Blessings,
Dan

PS. Lanny welcome to the forum (y) I am sure you are going to enjoy the group as there is a unlimited amount of knowledge and real good people here :mrgreen:.

Back