Grizzly Attack, Montana

From what I read in the news article it sounds like a dumb A$$ attack by the hunters for disturbing the bear while it was eating.
Glad to here they survived the bad experience.

Not far from me ( 5mi) a man called his wife to come out in the back yard to show her 2 piles of bear scat. The woman started screaming and ran for the house. About 50ft away laid the female black bear and her cub sleeping.
They were very lucky no one was hurt.
With the food supply low in the mountains around where I live the bears have been coming down around the farms to feed on the corn and soybean crops that are still standing since the farmers are late this year chopping the corn.
I also think that the state DNR don't know how many bears are living in the area and the encounters like this will be more numerous.

Thanks for pointing this out Guy.. This cannot be too far from where Rodger and I will be hunting.
Can't help wonder if these guys overlooked the possibility of a quiet retreat, unnoticed by the bear if it was focused on the carcass. Discretion is the better choice in my mind.

Should I have such an encounter and circumstances permit, my first attempt will be retreat unnoticed. That lacking Bear spray, wind permitting will be dispensed and if that fails to deter the bear, a firearm will be used as a deterrent, recognizing that there are no tags for grizzlies in Montana, and I will not have enough cash to post bail..:)

Rol_P":39y09muy said:
Thanks for pointing this out Guy.. This cannot be too far from where Rodger and I will be hunting.
Can't help wonder if these guys overlooked the possibility of a quiet retreat, unnoticed by the bear if it was focused on the carcass. Discretion is the better choice in my mind.

Should I have such an encounter and circumstances permit, my first attempt will be retreat unnoticed. That lacking Bear spray, wind permitting will be dispensed and if that fails to deter the bear, a firearm will be used as a deterrent, recognizing that there are no tags for grizzlies in Montana, and I will not have enough cash to post bail..:)
Well Buddy since I'll have the only rifle between us I guess I'll be the one worrying about posting bail should it come down to me or the bear the bear is going to loose if I can have my way. Yes it will be the last resort but don't expect me to wait too long since I don't run well. :)

Best to give the big boys space if at all possible. That's not at all apparent from the report.

I've encountered grizzlies on numerous occasions. The overwhelming majority of bears rushed at full speed to get away. Only twice have I observed anything coming near aggressive behavior--once was a bluff charge and the other seemed more curious than agitated. I'm glad to give them space.

Very good advise DrMike. I really don't want to meet one up close and personal and will try to stay out of there way.

Yup. Mike and Gerry and others have messed with grizzlies far more than I have.

Only times I had any trouble were with a curious grizz on the porch of our cabin, while on a fishing trip 90 miles from Cordova, Alaska.

And a couple of semi-tough grizz who moved into fishing holes where I was after silver salmon. A quiet retreat to another fishing hole worked well.

However, I do prefer to have an equalizer with me. Just in case. Rol - if you're not carrying a rifle, a powerful handgun seems like a good idea to me.

Guy

I will not carry my rifle during Rodger's hunt, but will have the bear spray and my Ruger Redhawk 4" stainless, .44mag with 305gr bear loads held in a Diamond D chest holster just in case.

I've read several news accounts of the bear attack that occurred in Montana and from what my take of it is they probably shot the Elk the bear was feeding on and tried to run it off the kill prompting the attack though there is no evidence of this.

truck driver":3qpogkkb said:
I've read several news accounts of the bear attack that occurred in Montana and from what my take of it is they probably shot the Elk the bear was feeding on and tried to run it off the kill prompting the attack though there is no evidence of this.

If that's the case... Bad call. Let the bear have the elk. Go home with one heck of a story, and no stitches!

Guy

Common sense does not always prevail when our adrenaline is pumping so I am glad that the hunters both survived the encounter :wink:.
You both mentioned that there is no tag for Grizzly while you are there remember it is better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6 (y).

Blessings,
Dan

truck driver":33a3wv5j said:

Yeah, those bears don't often willingly give up their meal once they've laid claim to it. As Guy says, "Let the bear have the elk. Go home with one heck of a story, and no stitches!"

sask boy":38b7gqc7 said:
Common sense does not always prevail when our adrenaline is pumping so I am glad that the hunters both survived the encounter :wink:.
You both mentioned that there is no tag for Grizzly while you are there remember it is better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6 (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Dr Mike, Dan--------you have no idea how much I want to respond to 'what some men will do, that they should not do, when the adrenaline is pumping" but since this is a family forum I will not.

what they tried to do was stupid --but I do have some questions for our Alaska and Canada members. what are the regulations for this type of thing in Alaska and Canada. I thought both Hodgeman and cheyenne has mentioned in the past a hunters right to protect himself/herseelf --? Secondly, even without a bear tag, Hodgeman, Gil and Cheyenne all substance hunt---can the bear be taken as a "substance" hunt ?

Europe":2uxzv1dv said:
sask boy":2uxzv1dv said:

Blessings,
Dan

Dr Mike, Dan--------you have no idea how much I want to respond to 'what some men will do, that they should not do, when the adrenaline is pumping" but since this is a family forum I will not.

what they tried to do was stupid --but I do have some questions for our Alaska and Canada members. what are the regulations for this type of thing in Alaska and Canada. I thought both Hodgeman and cheyenne has mentioned in the past a hunters right to protect himself/herseelf --? Secondly, even without a bear tag, Hodgeman, Gil and Cheyenne all substance hunt---can the bear be taken as a "substance" hunt ?
Hmmmm sounds like someone has experience in causing high levels of adrenaline. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin:

People to have the right to defend themselves in this jurisdiction. However, it is a certainty that the individual who shot the bear will be thoroughly investigated and almost assuredly the individual will expend considerable moneys defending himself/herself in the judicial setting. If investigation shows the bear was shot at a distance greater than thirty or forty yards, it would be very difficult to make the argument that it was a case of self-defence. If livestock and/or children were threatened, a case for defence or life could be made, but the one doing the shooting would need to ensure that he/she had dotted all the "i's" and crossed all the "t's." Failure to report will bring a fine, at the very least.

As First Nations, we can hunt for sustenance (subsistance) or ceremonial purposes within our traditional territories (treaty territories) as may be required to harvest the animals or birds. Outside of our territories we can hunt without purchasing a license and tag, but must adhere to all other rules (season, bag limit, species, gender and other restrictions such as number of points, etc.).

In BC, any animal may be destroyed in order to protect life, livestock and/or property. You must ensure that the animal is dead, and gutted, then reported to the authorities, who will then investigate and either collect the animal or direct you to deliver to a licensed meat processor who will process the animal (this may be at your expense) and then will deliver the meat to the Salvation Army for distribution to the needy. You are not allowed to keep the animal.

There is a Canadian Territory (Yukon??? Cheyenne, can you clarify?) where you are not allowed to shoot a bear unless it is physically attacking you. Close calls/charges do not count! You must bear injury or other evidence of physical harm to you or your clothing to show that the action was truly in self defense.

This would not be my choice!

Gil has explained it very well. It is not just enough that you "think" the bear is going to hurt you, He needs to be hurting you if you are going to kill him and use the DLP law when speaking to the officer. It varies per territory and even per officer, with Nunuvat being a little less strict in the laws interpretation. I might add that we also have the right to harvest a bear ( or any animal ) if we are in a survival situation. ( we might soon die if we dont eat )

We have had 50 bears DLP shot in the Yukon territory so far in 2017. I have stated that it is possibly because we had a very poor wild berry year and we also have more visitors to the "Territories" than we have had in the past, and some of their actions in regards to bears and camping defy logic. Most of these DLP kills were done by wildlife officers after they were unable to trap them, and move them.

Dr Mike, Gil, Gerry, most of these have been around the Faro district, if you fellows are familiar with that area.

You do not have the right to kill a bear simply because he got to your downed Caribou first, again unless your in a survival situation ( not survival from the bear, but survival from a hunger death). I am speaking only for myself when I say that is one of the reasons we dont take 500 yard shots. We want to get to the downed animal quick, get it to a clearing ( or high ice/ground if possible ) and dress it out quickly. We do not take pictures, or celebrate, or anything but dress it out and move on. Polar Bears have even a greater sense of smell than Grizzlies and they both will challenge you for the downed animal.

The last statement was made because the thread was started based upon a story of a Grizzly challenging the hunter for a downed animal. I am not being critical of anyone else's hunting and dressing techniques, as it is none of my business, just stating what we do.

Just finished reading a story ,that if you drill out a brass plug,from the carburetor of a new 4 Stroke outboard,
And gain access to the the low speed adjustment, you may have commited a Federal Crime?(EPA BS) :wink:
Shooting a bear to protect ones self ; should be a "no brainer" .........
As far as bears beating me to my Caribou, that we have just shot, Well I can assure you, he would never get to taste it! **( However if you have left it, and upon returning you find a bear on it? That is a different situation, you can't fault a bear for being a bear.)** You certainly
Wouldn't need to kill him: But if a warning shot handy to him, wouldn't take care the problem, I am sure sterner methods; Would; discourage brother bruin........
What is wrong with people? Do folks actually think they would need to consulate an attorney; or the
Local law book to protect themselves or their property from anything? Including a bear? OMG

Here is another way of saying this, you break into my home at 2am for ANY reason, regardless of the laws where ever I am residing, and I promise you that you will leave there in a " body bag"...
Ditto for a bear that is threatening " my life" ( and they have) Exact same outcome.
As David Allen Coe says " And if that ain't Country, I'll kiss your a•s "
https://youtu.be/8Y1jUq9NAuE

35 Whelen":2ef8ws94 said:
Do folks actually think they would need to consulate an attorney or the
Local law book to protect themselves or their property from anything? Including a bear? OMG

The simple answer is, "Yes." Remember, E, over seventy percent of our population live in two major centres here in BC. Guess who carries all the weight. The tragedy of this is that it generates the SSS concept whenever there is a conflict (SSS=shoot, shovel and shut-up). We are fortunate where I live to have COs who are quite a bit more sensible. If there is a possibility that the shooter was threatened, they will cut a break. Otherwise, it is much as it is for any citizen living in NJ or NYC who dares defend himself/herself--plan on explaining yourself before a judge. Lawyers can dissect a two-second event so that it requires seven days to fully explain what took place.

Back