NYDAN Mentors a Young Hunter

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
Below is a message from a nice young man who NYDAN is mentoring in the shooting and hunting sports. I have had the opportunity to shoot with Dan and Caleb and this appears to be a WIN - WIN for everyone. Hats off to Dan, keep up the good work.

Rol
Dan took me on my first goose hunt this morning. Despite the heavy rain the night before and the heavy fog we had good success! We were sitting by the pond at 5:45 and got to hear 2 different owls, the eagles waking up and watching them fly in the fog. The geese started honking around 6:10am but due to the fog they didn't start flying off until 7:10am. We ended up with 3 one being in the pond so Dan and I canoed out to that one.

It was awesome!
Caleb

What a neat introduction to Dan's work with a younger hunter. Thanks for posting, Rol!

Very cool, good on you to take a young guy out. He will never forget it and it sounds like he really enjoyed being in nature like that.

Excellent. Way to go Dan and Caleb. Congratulations to the both of you!

JD338

Caleb married into a hunting family with whom my family has had a multi-generations friendship. He started hunting as an adult with his in-laws and moved into a house just next door (by country standards). He is a nice young man interested in "learning to do things right the first time". I think it might come from his training as a pilot. As a pilot, you don't get many "second chances".

The "kid" is handicapped with being left eye dominant and shoots left-handed so he made immediate friends with Rol_P and myself. Rol and I took him down to Grice's Gun Shop in PA. Grice carries every current production model of rifle made in left-handed versions. Caleb got to handle every left handed rifle made today and selected one that he liked within his budget. Due to someone's (whose initials are Rol_P) influence, he selected the 30-06 caliber.

Caleb found the barrel break-in protocol that is listed on this forum and did a proper break-in procedure. He shot a few factory loads and found one (with Nosler 165 gr. BT's bullets) (my influence) that shoots M.O.A. He is pretty happy with those results. I hope to find time to develop a hand load for him using the 165 gr. BT's for deer.

Meanwhile he is looking forward to hunting deer with Rol_P and me. Since he has never shot a buck he has been given permission to shoot any buck he wants. But after viewing the trail camera photos I have been collecting I suspect he is going to hold out for at least a 2-1/2 year old buck.

I am really looking forward to being there when he bags his first buck.

Dan

Sounds like a plan Dan and great job getting him started and to Rol-P who showed him the light and guided him towards the 30-06. :)

Yeah, he'll shortly be infected with the virus--the hunting virus. Congratulations, Dan! You've become ground zero if viral transmission for Caleb. (y)

There is no cure for the Hunting Virus, I is running rampant in me, even at the ripe old age of 71.. :grin: Thank God and pass the ammo.. :grin: :grin:

Handicapped did I here a lefty :wink: now you know why he catches on so quickly :mrgreen: .
Thank you Dan & Rol P for helping this young Lad by introducing him into the hunting world.
Shoot straight, have fun and most of all be safe.

Blessings,
Dan

Caleb came over yesterday to get checked out on my cross-bow and to sight in his 30-06. This guy seems to be a natural shooter. He shot the cross-bow as well as (if not better than) I did.

Below is his FIRST EVER 200 yard target. He is shooting a Savage 111 in 30-06 with Federal brand cartridges loaded with 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets.

Caleb-200yds.JPG

For some reason the picture is rotated counter clockwise by 90 degrees. But regardless of orientation, the group is still sub MOA with a production rifle and factory ammo.

Dan

(y)

Good for you all. I am also breaking in a new hunter this fall, a young lady that I work with and have been friends with for about 6 or 7 years. She's an Army brat, and likes to shoot, but has never had the opportunity to do any hunting. We were talking about it last fall, and I told her that if she completed the state hunter's safety course, I'd take her out with me. She got her orange card a couple weeks ago, so I'm in the process of helping her pick out some appropriate cold-weather gear now. She's getting really excited about the outing, said she's been wanting to do this since she was 8 years old (she's 28 now). I told her I'm looking forward to seeing how she handles her first case of buck fever. Lol. Should be fun, I always enjoyed it when my kids got excited. And, truth be told, my adrenaline still goes up when I've got one in my sights, even after 40+ years.

It is sure exciting to see you gentlemen mentoring younger shooters/hunters. I'm really pulling for you to get Caleb and this young lady on game. Dan, Caleb is shooting far better than a lot of men I know.

DrMike":189lwgxm said:
It is sure exciting to see you gentlemen mentoring younger shooters/hunters. I'm really pulling for you to get Caleb and this young lady on game. Dan, Caleb is shooting far better than a lot of men I know.

Um This... As far as the target goes :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) Nice job! CL

Well folks,

It looks like we set the hunting hook pretty good in young Caleb. He is back for more goose hunting this year. He was pretty happy with this mornings results. :grin:

DSCN0342.JPG

Congratulations to Caleb. Yeah, that hunting business is a disease--a sweet and pleasant misery.

Thank you for the post there is nothing nicer than finishing off a hunt with friends and family :wink:.
Getting to take game home is always a treat as well.
Go get them guys (y)!

Blessings,
Dan

Back