7mm SAUM 154 SST's

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
A few weeks ago my buddy dropped off his 7-saum, a Redding 2 die set, and a bunch of 154 gr SST's and wanted a deer and black bear load...Working with IMR-4831, I have it shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards at 2950 (give or take 10 fps)..I don't have any on game experience with SST's ,just the 50-50 internet mix of love-hate for SST's...Some, or most shots will fall at or under 100 yards..Is 2950 fps at closer ranges asking too much from a 154 gr SST on whitetail and our smaller blackies?

They are rapid expanding but should work fine. I would expect a bit of meat damage and would probably keep them off of shoulders at close range, that's my .02 anyway........

Gerry has given you sound advice. The SST will work quite well in your buddy's 7mm SAUM.

Thanks guys. I thought they would do ok, but wasn't sure..I tried reading up on them but with SST's and ballistic tips, you read they are either the very best for deer, kill instantly and penetrate well or they are absolutely the worst and vaporize on deer hair. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with them. I sort of figure that they must do well or Nosler and Hornady wouldn't still be making bullets that didn't sell after all the years they've been on the market. I've come to the conclusion, with the very good bullets we have available today, that if you use it for its intended purpose and within its design limits, it should perform.

Bear in mind that both the SST and the Ballistic Tip are cup-and-core bullets with all the strengths and weaknesses of that particular design. Both Hornady and Nosler market quality bullets that have stood the test of time. Both will expand violently at velocities approaching 3000 fps, ensuring a quick kill.

DrMike":2txu9orq said:
Bear in mind that both the SST and the Ballistic Tip are cup-and-core bullets with all the strengths and weaknesses of that particular design. Both Hornady and Nosler market quality bullets that have stood the test of time. Both will expand violently at velocities approaching 3000 fps, ensuring a quick kill.

That is so true Mike. It's why I stopped using Ballistic Tips in my old 7 STW, almost lost an impala with it. Anything over 3,100 fps I use an AccuBond.

Hunter, The SST will work just fine at that 2950 fps speed. Just keep it in the lungs to minimize meat damage.

Thanks, guys. I'm going to call it done, and hand it back to him with all the advice y'all gave...

I'd trust the 150 grain Ballistic Tip over the SST any day and twice on Sundays. The 150 BT is a stout bullet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerry":g6udi0ij said:
They are rapid expanding but should work fine. I would expect a bit of meat damage and would probably keep them off of shoulders at close range, that's my .02 anyway........

I’m with Gerry there. 154 grains is a good amount of mass. I would expect it to hammer deer and bear with lung shots or to tear apart a front leg if it’s hit. I don’t worry too much about meat loss. I’d rather have an entire animal to pick from with a short blood trail and a wasted leg than nothing at all.

SJB358":11e7co34 said:
gerry":11e7co34 said:

I’m with Gerry there. 154 grains is a good amount of mass. I would expect it to hammer deer and bear with lung shots or to tear apart a front leg if it’s hit. I don’t worry too much about meat loss. I’d rather have an entire animal to pick from with a short blood trail and a wasted leg than nothing at all.

The simple solution is.....Don't shoot 'em in the eatin' parts! Well, he has his rifle back and 100 rounds of SST's and seems plenty happy and confident the SST's will do quite well...And I ended up with a free set of dies!! Not that I see me getting a 7-SAUM anytime soon.

SJB358":2m68klhv said:
I do like those 7mms. I ain’t met a 270 or 7mm I didn’t like.

I like all things 7mm! But I've bought 3 rifles since May, and I'd probably get lynched at home if I bought a SAUM or any other gun right now.... :? :?

I'm still looking for a Remington Titanium in 7 SAUM. Man those are hard to find!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used this exact bullet in a .280 Rem on a mauser 98 action. Using full house loads I found the meat damage, even on cross lung shots, to be a bit unacceptable. Used on big Northwoods whitetail, I got fragments ending up in places up to 45 degrees deviant from the penetration vector. Deer definitely died, but blood trail was sparse without exit holes. That being said, they were superbly accurate in my rifle, I still use them (in 139 grain weight) for informal steel matches and varmint hunting in that rifle.

I dropped them down to about 2400 fps and got better results, comparable to standard cup and core bullets. I believe they are too frangible for higher velocities, and would stick with either the standard interlock bullet in this weight or step up to the interbond and use the SSTs for practice. I now shoot a lighter Speer Grand Slam in this rifle.

Back