Any Difference in terminal performance 120 & 140 TTSX??

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Local gun shop had TTSX's on sale today, I grabbed up a box each of 120gr & 140gr..Going to try them in 280 Rem and 7x57 and just wondering; When it comes to the 280 Rem, if they shoot equally well, is there any real difference in terminal performance on WT deer and black bear between the 120's and 140's? I'm leaning toward the 140's and RL-22

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that on lighter big game animals, you'll be fine with the 120's. The bigger the brutes, then I'd use the 140's. You would probably want to use the 140's on Black bear, elk, & moose.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

The 140 will have the better BC and SD numbers that will be more desirable on larger and heavier boned game.

That 120 in ayour 7x57 should be like lightning on your whitetails!

Keep in mind that the TTSX is a relatively tough bullet that requires some impact speed to expand completely.

In the 7x57 and the 280, I'd lean to the 120gr. I've used them in the 7-08 with good results.

I loaded some 120's tonight for the 7x57 using Varget. I started at 42gr and going up by .5 grain increments to 44.5gr..I think it should be right at 2950-2970 fps based on what the 120 NBT's did in the gun with same charges..

I don't have the exact match, but I used the 110 grain TTSX last year for white tail culling. Shot 20 deer from 60 yards to 250 yards. All different angles. Didn't catch a single bullet. 1 did not appear to expand for whatever reason and I had to look for the deer. The other 19 were drt. I was running close to 3500 fps. My recommendation would be to use the 120 and give it some speed. I used the Barnes recommended powders for my 06. I am sure Barnes has recipes for the 7 x 57 and 120's.

jmm":1g6yv3k2 said:
I don't have the exact match, but I used the 110 grain TTSX last year for white tail culling. Shot 20 deer from 60 yards to 250 yards. All different angles. Didn't catch a single bullet. 1 did not appear to expand for whatever reason and I had to look for the deer. The other 19 were drt. I was running close to 3500 fps. My recommendation would be to use the 120 and give it some speed. I used the Barnes recommended powders for my 06. I am sure Barnes has recipes for the 7 x 57 and 120's.

Great report, thanks! Barnes does have data for the 7x57, only two powders, but they have it. I used Varget because it's what I have on hand and the 120 NBT's did so well with it. And I have some BLC-2, and some H414 that will probably be next.

I would imagine that Varget, and 120 TTSX bullets will do just fine. In the .308, Varget does excellent with 165 gr pills.

I'll start this out by stating I have 300 rds of 140 TSX's on hand for my 7/08. That's pretty much equal to your 7X57. Why do I have them ? Cuz I got 'em for $15 a box, period. But I don't think the 140gr is the optimal mono weight for that class of cartridge, including the 280.

Mono's work off of speed and with a lower BC, longer shank, they start slower to begin with, loose velocity faster than a cup & core, but retain weight like a Champ.

So...the solution is to drop down in bullet weight. A 120gr Mono will act like a good 140 C&C at the same impact velocity. There's no real advantage of one over the other, except if your rifle really, really likes one over the other.

Let your rifle tell you want it wants. Mine sez 140gr BT's/AB's. Just a 1/4" difference, but it's 1/4" every time, so I'll stay with them and shoot the TSX for practice and the brass.

Thanks guys...Both are incredibly accurate in the 280. The 120's are running right at 3200 and the 140's are at 2990(ish)...Over on another site I was told I have "extreme velocity disease" and need to read about terminal performance and study kinetic energy and what's required to take down deer, and that at those speeds and the ranges I'll most likely shoot (100 yards) I would experience "extreme fragmentation" with the TTSX's. And should be a rifleman not a speed freak. I think I'm right at expected velocities with those weights in a 280 Rem. I find that hard to believe with a mono bullet, and can only assume that maybe he was mixing up the TTSX with something like an SST..So I'm back here where knowledge and civility are the order of the day.

There are a lot of Internet ballisticians that have no practical experience. You've been given sound advice from several individuals. One thing I can assure you is that you will not find the TTSX to be a frangible bullet. You need not be concerned about "extreme fragmentation." What you will experience is some fine deer chops after your hunt.

DrMike":28m3xsng said:
There are a lot of Internet ballisticians that have no practical experience. You've been given sound advice from several individuals. One thing I can assure you is that you will not find the TTSX to be a frangible bullet. You need not be concerned about "extreme fragmentation." What you will experience is some fine deer chops after your hunt.

I know Mike, But when you ask a sound question and get accused of being a kid with no experience bringing down animals and have a desire to blow myself up with extreme pressure loads then start bashing my choice of bullet and cartridge, followed by statements like the TTSX will blow gigantic holes in deer..I have no doubt either the 120 or 140 will perform exceptionally well, I just wanted to know if there was enough difference in terminal performance to favor one over the other..Oh, well...Like I said, rather than encourage the self aggrandizing blowhards, I'll come back here where I can count on sound advice from fine gents like yourself.

There are several sites I seldom visit simply because some posting there are determined to show their prowess by denigrating others who seek honest answers or who have experiences that don't match theirs. To say such souls are blinded by their own brilliance to enter the realm of the obvious.

hunter24605":3fm1bkg3 said:
DrMike":3fm1bkg3 said:

I know Mike, But when you ask a sound question and get accused of being a kid with no experience bringing down animals and have a desire to blow myself up with extreme pressure loads then start bashing my choice of bullet and cartridge, followed by statements like the TTSX will blow gigantic holes in deer..I have no doubt either the 120 or 140 will perform exceptionally well, I just wanted to know if there was enough difference in terminal performance to favor one over the other..Oh, well...Like I said, rather than encourage the self aggrandizing blowhards, I'll come back here where I can count on sound advice from fine gents like yourself.
Hunter24605,

As some have said, the only difference really between the bullet weights is sectional density. The heavier one of course digs deeper, usually better for bigger game than deer size animals.
Your question was a sound question, and I for one am sorry you have experienced head aches from some members.
Solids have a tendency to pass completely through. I haven't noticed they have made excessive size exit holes. I have used a .300 Win Mag, and the exit holes are quite large, only because of the power of the cartridge.

Just to be clear...the headaches didnt come from any members here. They are always great folks..i asked over on another forum, which i wont give the name of....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hunter24605":1r3eehou said:
Just to be clear...the headaches didnt come from any members here. They are always great folks..i asked over on another forum, which i wont give the name of....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ah ok! That's good to know.

DrMike":2d0s3feq said:
There are several sites I seldom visit simply because some posting there are determined to show their prowess by denigrating others who seek honest answers or who have experiences that don't match theirs. To say such souls are blinded by their own brilliance to enter the realm of the obvious.

I have to stay away from 24HCF due to the mental midgets over there. The true prejudice and bigotry that shows itself in the political threads is mind boggling. I have never really seen the hatred for people based on their skin color where I live, but it is alive and well there. I am of the opinion that every race has it's share of bigots, racists, dirt bags, a-holes, etc. and I choose to stay away from them regardless of how they look. Actions really leave no doubt as to who a person really is. I enjoy my time here.

Sorry for the rant.

hunter24605":17nuyc4u said:
Thanks guys...Both are incredibly accurate in the 280. The 120's are running right at 3200 and the 140's are at 2990(ish)...Over on another site I was told I have "extreme velocity disease" a.... I would experience "extreme fragmentation" with the TTSX's. ....So I'm back here where knowledge and civility are the order of the day.

A 120TTSX at 3200 would do the trick nicely, but you'll expand the 140s at that kind of speed for a ways- I'd still go 120s.

"Extreme fragmentation" with a TTSX? I'd think not. I've seen a few with petals sheered off....but they were running quite a bit faster than that.

The civil nature of the folks around here is one of the reasons I spend time here, I only visit a couple of other forums at all but spend most of my energy these days around here. Generally knowledgeable folks, good manners and stimulating discussion- this place is great.

I've settled on the 120 grain. I think they will serve me well, and thanks for all the advice. And I have a sealed box of the 140's I'm willing to trade for some other 7mm bullets...I listed them in the classifieds.

I’ll be using the 120 TTSX this year except in the 6.5 CM. I’m running them at 2920fps. I did a lot of research on these bullets and even called Barnes to ask about minimal velocity for exspansion. Plus a lot of great advice from folks on this sight. In all my research I can’t remember reading about a Barnes Big game bullet grenading. I did read some about shearing petals as mentioned above, but I honestly would not worry about that unless very high muzzle velocity, and very short range shooting. I’m really looking forward to trying them out this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back