Elk, mule deer & Weatherby

c. schutte

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Looks like Fotis won't be the only one taking a .340 on an elk hunt this year. :>)

I'm headed up for 2nd season to Western Colorado about 25 miles west of where Tom will by for 1st rifle. Knowing him he'll be hiking all over the place so if I see his tracks on my side of that mountain range he'll owe me a drink! :lol:

This will be a combo hunt for both bull and a buck mulie. Two rifles will be with me on this one; a 340 wby loaded with 240 grain N.F.'s which will be my starter and will be the elk rifle. Another mark V in 300 wby will be the first string back up and if a bull drops first the 300 wby will go after the buck.

Both are shooting under .5" and I am stoked to get back into the game. It's been 12 years since I've chased elk and the stars have finally aligned again so I'm taking advantage.

Best of luck to you. I hope you are able to get a big bull with the 340 Wby and a
dandy buck with the 300 Wby.

JD338

Good luck! I grew up hunting the combo in Western Colorado back in the 70s. Need to get back there. Sounds like you're all set!

Best of luck. May there be antlers on the wall and venison in the freezer!

Guy

Thanks guys,

I'm going with a friend I grew up with and have hunted with him quite a bit. We hunted together on my other elk hunts. This hunt is with an outfitter on a combination of private and public land. It ought to be good hunting with plenty of land to use with limited pressure. We're not into high fence elk hunts and while a 350" bull would be nice, that is not what we are likely to see. Any mature bull and buck would be trophy enough for me.

Been getting back into shape and hopefully I can still pull a grade and cover a few miles each day.

We're all pulling for you, Charles. Should be a great time from what you say.

Good luck!! Sounds like a blast. Waiting on the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back