On hunting alone

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I enjoyed my solo hunt yesterday. My son couldn't accompany me as he had to work.

Two years ago was the last time I was alone on a deer hunt. Did fine on that one as well.

As the sun set while I was quartering my buck yesterday, I pulled the headlamp out of my pack and contemplated the work ahead. I had to finish reducing the buck to a load I could handle. Get the meat into my pack, shoulder the load and walk out in the dark. It took me an hour or so to quarter the buck. I don't work real fast on that project, and was being careful to not cut myself this time.

The pack was tough to hoist onto my back, but once there it settled just fine. The heavy, warm load pressing against my back was familiar.

I kept the rifle loaded. There are cougars and a few bear in the area, wasn't worried, just seemed prudent. Just carried the buck's head in my right hand. I'm just going to either bleach the skull, or just saw the antlers off it anyway.

Long walk back to the Jeep, in the dark. The first part was uphill on the rocky, sagebrush covered ground. I took a few breaks to breathe, going up that hill. The weight of the pack actually felt good.

Got to the road and found my Jeep after about an hour's walk. This whole time I'd had no cell service, so couldn't let Mama know I'd be late. Couldn't ask one of my sons to come help with the deer. That's fine.

Soon as I had cell service, I called Mama to let her know I was on the way.

It's more fun hunting with good friends & family, but quite satisfying to know that I can still do all this on my own. I pace myself a bit more carefully when alone. Do things more carefully. I sure didn't want to twist an ankle on the way out last night. Yes, I had my first aid kit. Yes, I could have spent the night out there, but I sure didn't want to do so.

Was real nice when I got home, showed my son the antlers. Unloaded my Jeep. Got a thorough sniffing from the jealous dog. Big hug from Mama. She warmed up dinner for me and I poured a glass of wine. Long hot shower and bed. A good day indeed.

John and I will hunt together later this week, probably Monday. That will be more fun, even if we don't get him on a buck. But there is something special about just heading out into the hills alone, and returning late that day, quietly successful.

Guy

Sounds like your solo hunt was very satisfying Guy. I will be solo fly fishing for a few days next week before I meet up with Rodger. Being solo in the open country sure helps me put things in perspective. Just being out there is rewarding, the fish are catch and release, just frosting on the experience.

I don't do as much solo hunting as I've aged, but I have been going out by myself about once a week this season. Haven't connected with anything, but I have enjoyed the solitude. I make certain to tell my lady where I will be and when to expect me. Because of changes in regulations, there is a higher density of hunters in many of the areas I hunt. I had a quiet evening in a favourite spot last evening. Didn't shoot anything, but did see about eight mulies, a great whitetail doe (I'd already sheathed my rifle) and a cow and calf moose. I did take a ruffed grouse. My wife was amused by my success, but she does enjoy grouse as much as I do. Hunting solo does impose a measure of caution, knowing that the hunter will be on his/her own; but it does have its own charm. Great post, Guy.

I like hunting solo although I don't typically- usually just a couple times a year unless you count rambling walks for grouse and a couple of alone days in a duck blind.

I do find that solo for big game I tend to go slower and be more thoughtful in how I approach things knowing that an accident is significantly more problematic. I also find that the hunt takes a whole different tone that I enjoy when I can.

There is added sense of accomplishment and self-sufficiency that builds self-confidence when you successfully hunt alone, and I don't mean successful as in only ending in a harvested animal.

I have had many successful solo hunts in local forests and on distant mountains, where I have harvested game, and not, and returned safely home with new memories and experiences. It is very gratifying! I have harvested both a mountain goat and a bighorn ram on solo hunts, as well as numerous moose, elk and deer over the years. Could not count the successful solo fishing trips.

It does change one's perspective as mentioned above; you take more precautions, better preparation, watch your step and knife work a little more carefully and let others know where you will be and when to expect you to return or call. We should always be so diligent, but many if us, including me, tend to take more risks than we perhaps should, when we know we have someone there to assist us.

I love hunting alone. Hunting with others is probably more fun and I do like hunting trips with my friends probably the best. That said doing it by yourself is very satisfying. Up till the point when it is time to get that animal out then it sucks! :>)

I enjoy it both ways. There is something satisfying about the hunt and the work after the hunt. I was a little worried about my knees after slipping on a wet log this fall, but I got my bear and dragged it with no ill effects. Trying to join a fitness center seems to be harder. Local one won’t take cash or CC. They want direct payment on my checking acct. Sonstillnlooking for a place to keep my knees in shape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":3707xv5p said:
I enjoy it both ways. There is something satisfying about the hunt and the work after the hunt. I was a little worried about my knees after slipping on a wet log this fall, but I got my bear and dragged it with no ill effects. Trying to join a fitness center seems to be harder. Local one won’t take cash or CC. They want direct payment on my checking acct. Sonstillnlooking for a place to keep my knees in shape!

Isn't that a load of cow manure? They want direct access to a checking account. I won't do it. They can accept a personal check or go fly a kite.

Isn't that a load of cow manure? They want direct access to a checking account. I won't do it. They can accept a personal check or go fly a kite.[/quote]

It sure is. Planet Fitness. I’ll probably go to the local hospital. They have a gym open to the public. I used it for PT a couple years back.

Again Guy congrats on your harvest.
For the most part I have always hunted alone but usually hunted eastern farm wood lots or the Allegheny Mts and the Blue Ridge Mts which are nothing like the Rocky's and would be considered foot hills in comparison but I always found some solitude and get close to God and nature.
With my age and recent injuries I have still been able to hunt alone but due to my style of fishing I take comfort in having my grandson along should I get into trouble.
This year as you all know Rol_P and I will be traipsing around the Rockies together and I will take comfort in knowing I have a extra pair of eyes and ears to keep me out of trouble ( Bear ).
I have never been one to take chances and would walk around a cliff looking for the easiest way to get up or down it and to navigate rock and boulder fields so as not to fall and break something. Fell off too many rock ledges and slipped on wet rocks too many times when I was young and dumb and felt invincible.

Guy,
Monday is gone here in the East, so here’s hoping you and your son made it out today and will have an adventure to tell.
V/R,
Joe

Believe it or not brings back memories of when I could get up and around on my crutches. 10 years ago I was still good for a 3/4 mile walk. I got me out away from the house/ car. I too had to be careful. Dosent take much to knock a person off crutches.... anyway, loved that feeling of being out alone w/ a rifle on my back. For me that 200 yard walk through the tall grass to my deer stand was an expedition. Id get there, warm trying not sweat feeling that somthing was accomplished and being "in tune" with things. Felt like Grizzly Adams in my own back yard.... Thanks for the read Guy.

I value my alone time.

Besides the thrill of the hunt, and the effort of carrying out my quarry; I love the time to reflect and appreciate my surroundings.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Great hunt Guy. I really enjoy hunting with good friends and family but like you I also hunt alone, and seem to do it more frequently as friends have moved and my son is away at college. I just got back from a successful antelope hunt in SW Montana near Bannack (Old territorial State capital of Montana.) I was alone for four days down there and had a great time. The weather was beautiful and on the chilly side, it was 16 degrees a couple mornings when I woke up!! I got a nice doe after hunting hard. I hiked back to the truck and got the game cart my father and I built and wheeled it back about a mile off the road to where she was and loaded her up and headed back. I got some great meat and had a lot of fun. Not much more to ask.

Thanks for sharing with us Guy. (Man I sure need to figure out where to put my pictures so I can post them!)

I just had to add one more thing. Back in 2011 I drew a Mountain Goat tag and I did a lot of scouting and hunting that year and never got a goat. The vast majority - 99.5% of the time I hunted alone in the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness. I had an awesome time and enjoyed the whole experience, but there were times I wish I would have had someone to share it with, even if if was only a few times. I did have a couple friends go on a hunt for a few days with me, but that was it. We had a fabulous time together and I wish we could have had more just like it. I wanted to share the journey with someone!

Back