2017 Oregon 2nd season Elk

baltz526

Handloader
Sep 25, 2005
Drew the Paulina Fort Rock this year. I know the unit well and will be Solo hunting. I will probable set camp in the center of the fort rock unit if anyone is interested.

Due to the thick lodgepole in the area the Bulls live in, I will be using the 300 Win mag carbine with the very accurate 220gr Hornady load it likes. A load I developed for Cascade Elk hunting but never got the chance to use. Last years Elk was killed with the 180gr PP Partition very effectively. (in the Silvies unit) The several Elk before that had 200gr partitions in them (cascade Elk). Topped off the 220gr ammo box with the last of the IMR7828 SSC lot that shoots so well. 35 rounds should be enough. As normal the 200gr partitions will be along for back up. I need to buy a new hand pruner for limbs on my trails. A secret weapon I use to be quiet in the thickets. Last winter bent over a lot of small trees blocking paths. It is sneakier to snip my way through than to go around.

I should imagine that the 220 grain PT will deliver the goods on this hunt. Looking forward to reading of your success.

Good luck and thanks for keeping us up to date :wink:.
I am looking forward to a great tale of the hunt along with photos (y).

Blessings,
Dan

1st season starts tomorrow. They get 5 days and the forecast is dry, sunny, warm. Which is why I hunt the 9 day 2nd season. They will chase everything into the thickets. Then when 2nd season opens the 4th. I get to dive into the thickets, knowing the Elk will be in them. With higher odds of Snow or rain with the later season. Tough hunting but it sure makes for a real hunting experience.

After my hiking expedition in Wyoming, I hope for hunting opportunities in Oregon. I have some maintenance items on my outfits to correct, and hopefully be out of here a day or two before the opener, to get some scouting in. Looking forward to another trip into some of my favorite country.

Good luck Bill. I hope to get in on the first or at the latest the second. Let me know when you're driving through Pendleton be good to visit with you again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on the road in the morning, intend to lunch with Don, and will arrive in camp in the early afternoon. Thursday and Friday will be scouting in the rain and snow. If we get enough snow I have a sweet spot where I will hike to in the dark, and just sit there through the day. They will be there eventually, hopefully before the season runs out.

I'll give a report after I get back. Packed and out of here tomorrow early.

Well I missed Bill, had some last minute changes in the repair schedule on the house I bought.
The good news is I'm ten minutes from the unit we hunt, one hour from our camp site. Ran up Wednesday morning and found someone in the spot we've used for 20 years. 10 minutes to an alternate location, had the tent up before the snow fell. Had to shovel elk poop, hope that's a good sign.
Made it back to meet with the contractor. IMG_1767.JPG
Leaving the house in a few, the rest of the crew will be here with the cook tent on Friday morning. I'll get the fire wood cut, a new meat pole rigged and get some scouting done.

This, for those that have never experienced a wall tent. 29 degrees outside, the stove is dampened down, it's just right inside.IMG_1779.JPG

Living in a wall tent and hunting... It doesn't get much better!

Best of luck.

Guy

The boys made it up today, camp is set. Two wood stoves, two water heaters, four king size cots 900 square feet. 24 degrees out side 80 inside.IMG_1784.JPG

This is awesome. Reminds me of being a kid with my pops. Oh how I loved going on the hunting trips with my dad.

Back