Turkeys

Europe

Handloader
Jun 18, 2014
Hey Allen----it is five o'clock somewhere---actually it is here, right now, so your right it is time for an adult beverage ( this is something Allan and I recently discussed via pm )

o.k. now to turkeys and I am not talking about Hodgeman, Scotty or Charles

I was asked about turkey hunting and turkey shotguns and will start this thread so others can give "good" advise, as I have not hunted turkey in many of years. In years past we managed to hunt the Gould, merriam's, eastern, rio grande and ocellated, but we never hunter the osceola .

My favorite turkey hunt would be the ocellated, mainly because we hunted them in the jungles of the yucatán peninsula and it was beautiful country. Plus in my humble opinion they are the prettiest of the turkey group. So your question of which one did I prefer to hunt ? the ocellated.

Shotgun, again I am the wrong one to ask, as after my husband bought me those two connecticut shotguns, they were used on turkeys, ducks, geese, pheasants, quail, etc

So, let's put it to the membership and those who would be able to give better answers

1. what is a good turkey shotgun ?

2. which turkey breed is the most fun to hunt ?

edit:

since I posted this at least one individual felt it was rude of me to make the comment I did about Scotty, Charles, and Hodgeman----I disagree and will not delete that part of my post as I am more than comfortable knowing that all three of these men know that I am joking with them, in fact charles has already responded and I do know to what he infers and liked his response, however he didn't give us much 'Turkey hunting" info

some people are just wound a little too tight--IMHO

My favorite guage for all upland shotgun hunting is the 16 gauge. I have an old Remington Sportsman ( Browning A5 clone). It's 81 to 82 years old, but still works as well as it did day one it was used.
I would say the Rio Grande turkey is my favorite, since it is where I live in proximity of the game.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

April I have only hunted the eastern turkey and they can be a little difficult since they are very aware of their surroundings and spook in a heart beat plus they are very hard to call in when there is an obstacle in the way like thick brush or downed trees and they won't cross a stream most of the time.
As for a shot gun there seems to be a cult thing about a 10ga double or single barrel shot gun but for me I used my tricked out Remington 1100 3" 12ga. the forcing cone in the barrel had been lengthened and the choke was back bored to tighten up the pattern. All most shoots like a rifle at 40yds. and I have taken birds cleanly with it at 50yds. I also reload my own shot shells to get the best velocity and pattern I can get.
I made the mistake of testing these loads while wearing a T-shirt and the recoil was so bad with the factory recoil pad that it beat my shoulder raw and my shirt was bloody by the time I got home. My wife thought I had shot my self since there was so much blood. It took me several weeks before I could shoot that gun and load after that. I also put a new recoil pad on it.

I have used a 16 ga Ithaca pump and a 12 ga Win pump. Rio Grande is the only breed I have hunted.
fa479cdfa3012196d20d7e380657a262.jpg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Back