Tough season

et_miller_87

Beginner
Nov 7, 2016
So far, this season is TOUGH. Why? Few reasons. I am from Florida, where there are more deer than people but on average most deer weigh less than 150. I'm hunting in central Ohio where I am stationed. Hunting a leased soybean plot, which was just tilled and mixed with manure. Tough break there.

I was able to build a stand and get it up so that should help some. Tonight, I got out late because of work. No deer while I was up there, but as the 30 minutes passed sunset came and went, the deer came out. My luck! So what I thought was tree trunks abruptly turned an ran. Got a small chuckle out of that.

Friday I was hunting from the ground, and had a doe within 10 yards. I drew on her and waited for her to walk 3 steps to clear the limbs but she saw me. Probably cause I was shaking so much from excitement! Needless to say she ran.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to release that frustration to folks who can relate. The wife thinks I'm silly for it all but its big stakes this year! Well, hopefully STEAKS! Happy hunting all!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

It is the tough part that makes the success so sweet. No doubt we'll learn shortly of a successful hunt. We're pulling for you.

I feel your pain........ :>)

I hunt a small acreage in S/E Oklahoma from October through mid January. This property is surrounded by 4 other properties. Almost an island because it is a flag-pole property. All of those properties are leased and the guys on those leases have no idea what game management is and they over hunt the area so, all of those deer are battle hardened veterans who just about know all of us hunters by smell.

It's not an easy game there but, I give it heck almost every weekend during the 3 1/2 month archery season.

My wife thinks I'm insane because I choose to continue to hunt there. The price is right and it's 1 hour 45 minutes from the house. Since I live North of the metro mess I can sneak out on Friday afternoon without worrying about traffic and be there in time to climb in a tree.

One has to put up with a lot of times when you don't see or don't see much and the times you get a chance are seldom but, it teaches you to enjoy it for what it is.

Lets hope! I dont know that ill try to get in a stand again after work unless I gdt off closer to 5. Cuts it too short. Hoping for fresh meat here soon

Been there and experienced that also ET, but the best part is just getting out. The harvest is just a bonus.

Best of luck!

Yes, sometimes the hunting can be very difficult, for a number of reasons.

Guy

Ill have a good opportunity this Friday hopefully. I should get off at 1 pm so it gives me plenty of time to get out there and settled. I think my biggest issue isngetting to my stand. Its probably 550 yards from where I park, its all open field, and I dont want to walk the treeline where the animals generally gather and travel. Dragging my scent that closr to cover I think is bad. But walking through the open field gives me away too. There is really no good entry point but ya gotta get there somehow.

I'd say entering your stand around 1:00 or 2:00 you should be okay crossing a field..I've done it plenty of times and usually the deer start wandering into the fields around the same time as always and I've poked many with an arrow around 5:00 - 6:00.

Yes, hunting can be difficult. Its all about being in the right place at the right time. Weather (or lack thereof), can adversely effect the quarry we are hunting for. I can't count how many times I came home with track soup, and it don't taste good. :lol: When I was younger I would get discouraged, but as I have gotten older I just roll with the punches and feel blessed to still be able to get out and enjoy God's great creation. Don't get down.. chin up and keep moving forward.. After all it is Hunting..
Take care
Ed

AK7AN":2mw4hzw0 said:
Yes, hunting can be difficult. Its all about being in the right place at the right time. Weather (or lack thereof), can adversely effect the quarry we are hunting for. I can't count how many times I came home with track soup, and it don't taste good. [emoji38] When I was younger I would get discouraged, but as I have gotten older I just roll with the punches and feel blessed to still be able to get out and enjoy God's great creation. Don't get down.. chin up and keep moving forward.. After all it is Hunting..
Take care
Ed
Absolutely! My first 8 years hunting I never even saw a deer until last year. Ive seen close to 10 this year already. I was excited to see all of the tracks and the soybeans growing that got dropped during harvest. But they tilled the field this week and spread chicken manure. So that was a bit of a downer to see. I'm definitely glad to just be out hunting this year. More than I did last year already

et, just being out is such a treat and getting the game is the bonus :wink: !
I am sure with all the work and dedication you are putting in, it is just a matter of time until you are BBQing a nice venison steak (y).
Thank you for the post.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":y9zt1smg said:
et, just being out is such a treat and getting the game is the bonus :wink: !
I am sure with all the work and dedication you are putting in, it is just a matter of time until you are BBQing a nice venison steak (y).
Thank you for the post.

Blessings,
Dan
I sure hope so! I need a break from recruiting ! I'm supposed to get off early tomorrow so ill be in the woods for sure

Well how about an update.

Its FINALLY cold here in central Ohio. Ive got a proper stand and LOTS of signs of deer. Rather large prints all over the property but still not seeing much of anything during the day. Hoping this cold snap sticks and forces them out a little more during the day time. Staying optimistic!

ET, there is some good hunting to be had in your area, and some very large bucks to be found. Stay with it, you might just stick a bruiser.

Do you gun hunt, as well?

bdbrown66":bscns89o said:
ET, there is some good hunting to be had in your area, and some very large bucks to be found. Stay with it, you might just stick a bruiser.

Do you gun hunt, as well?
I do. But ill miss a bit of the season this year.

Yeah it can be tough. I traveled 2100mi one way to chase Wapiti and Mule deer around.
Came home early in the week and mowed grass today. While mowing I found beds in my lower yard and tracks at my basement door. I've had whitetails in the yard all spring and summer so it wasn't a big surprise to see the signs.

Got my first deer of the season this morning. Had a 9 point walk behind me, usually they follow the trail toward me but today he walked across the field.....where the huntet behind me, laying beside his truck nailed him. Bittersweet, but he got an amazing buck. I ended up shooting a nice doe, biggest deer id ever shot so far. Lots of great meat tonight!

Buck or doe, doesnt matter to me! Long as I'm helping feed the family I'm happy!

Back