So CLOSE !!!

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
On our unit opener for Elk last week. At about 8:30am I was 5 miles past gate and then 400' below my mtn bike. sitting on a finger watching a timber draw below me. I cow called and then a squeky bugle. 10 minutes goes by and a small squeky bugle came back across the draw about 175yds. I couldn't see him but if he was anything like his bugle he was safe. We "talked" back and forth for a few minutes and another bugled below me. He sounded better and was more aggressive. We were having a 3 way for a couple of minutes and wow! A full blown mature bugle just on the other finger. He joined in. I could hear his cows talking and he would bugle about once every couple minutes. He was moving closer to this timbered draw. In a small opening on the other side at 175yds here steps a cow. I get on her and she walks down into the draw. 6 or 7 more cows follow. This bull is bugling just behind the brush - HE IS RIGHT THERE!! just about to step into the small opening where I have my cross hairs ready for him.......

All he!! breaks loose under me in the draw for about 5 seconds.... They winded me! I just drop my head and after about 30 seconds the cows start to walk out the same way they came in. He bugled a couple more times as they walked away from me. I had "Elk Scent" on a pad and the scent removing spray. I'll have to say the cows did not bust out and head for a different county - just walked back out looking around. So they didn't like the smell. I have to believe if they thought it is was human they would have been just stampeding out of there.

So CLOSE !! I have a Muzzleloader Elk hunt later starting Thanksgiving weekend so one more chance.

Man, that is tough when that happens. Those mature bulls don't get mature by losing their caution. Hopefully you'll have another opportunity at a mature bull. When does your season end?

That was one heck of a hunt!

I've been so doggone excited a few times, even with hunts that didn't end up with game being taken.

Keep at it, you'll get one!

Guy

Elk are an amazing animal. Glad you were on them and in the right place at the right time. Hope you can get your shot with the muzzle loader.

JD338

My rifle hunt is over. One or two more range sessions with new muzzleloader and I'll be ready.

Back