Hearing protection when hunting

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Excuse me if this has already been answered, but just wondering if anyone uses plugs or electronic muffs when hunting? Last few years I was using smaller cartridges (25/06 and 30/06) and never used any. But this year I have a 300 Win (no brake) and am thinking maybe I should. Opinions?

Ever since I had my ears rung by a 357 Mag, I keep a set hand.
When hunting, you may need to be fast, so I use the formed ear plugs vs the foam ones. For bear, I took a set of walker game ears out. You do want to hear your game. For me, my ears must be a bit big, after a while the walkers hurt.
On the range, I’ll wear plugs and muffs.

Primos has some I’ve used in the past... passive, but well engineered. Has a small hole in the middle that changes diameter, it stops the full shock wave from traveling to the ear drop.

Not as much protection as regular plugs, but you can hear critters walking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wear plugs and muffs at the range, but I've never worn hearing protection in the bush. I refuse to hunt with people who have muzzle brakes on their rifles, however. The blast is too severe for my ears. I have thought about electronic hearing protection. Some of the newer stuff looks pretty good. As mentioned, the Walker Game Ear looks to be worthwhile.

I have the same views as Dr. Mike on this one. I have never felt the firearm recoil nor have I ever noticed muzzle blast when shooting at game in the field :).

Now at the range I always double up foam earplugs and muffs over the top.

Now that my daughters are getting old enough to join me in the field I do have electronic muffs that I have them wear that allow them to here in stereo yet be protected.

I’ve never used hearing protection while hunting and never thought much about it. This year I hunted with my suppressor. The difference is astounding. You all owe it to yourselves to try a suppressor. The reduced noise and recoil was very noticeable as well as the loud audible “thump” of the bullet strike.

It’s ridiculous that they aren’t currently delisted from the NFA. We came so close to getting the share act pushed thru, I’ve got my fingers crossed we can still get it in after the vegas shooting backlash dies down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried hearing protection while hunting before. I have a very nice electronic muff, but even with that I am uncomfortable with how it alters my hearing. Unlike many I've discussed this topic with, I _do_ hear the shot, and my ears ring for quite a while thereafter. I have a silencer (suppressor) waiting to be released, but I think it unlikely at this point that I'll have it by my December hunt. Whenever it is released, I will use it constantly. They _really_ should be de-criminalized.

DrMike":2aqx4oa7 said:
I wear plugs and muffs at the range, but I've never worn hearing protection in the bush. I refuse to hunt with people who have muzzle brakes on their rifles, however. The blast is too severe for my ears. .....

same hear!

pun intended

I have for the past couple years. My tinnitus is irritating at times and don’t wanna make it any worse from years of duck, deer & grouse hunting.

When rifle hunting I typically use passive plugs. I normally have one inserted in my left ear at the start of the hunt and then put the right plug in when I'm close to shooting. I typically use a 280 Rem.

My father uses Walker muffs and after a few hours they hurt. He normally uses a 30-06.

I have been experimenting with Surefire Sonic Defenders ear plugs and electronic muffs for bird hunting. Most electronic ear muffs don't have specifics regarding the lag time between the shot and when the electronics cut the microphones off. I also don't like the electronic "white noise" I hear when using electronic muffs; hence the addition of the Sonic Defenders.

General opinion is that once your hearing is lost it is gone for good.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I think I’m going to try the passive plugs. The E muffs are a bit uncomfortable after too long of use.

I've used Pro Ears Gold for several years and wouldn't hunt without them. They compress the sound so you still hear the shot but it's at a safe level. The only weak area they have is that I have never got them to work well at a covered range. Seems to be the sound bounces back from the roof too quick for the headphones compress the sound. They are excellent in the woods but of course more bulky than plain plugs.

I am one of those people that uses plugs & muffs at the range but I normal don’t use anything during the hunt.
However this year I have really considered buying something to protect my right ear as my left has significant hearing loss from over 20 years of being on the road and having 4-60 air :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

I have never used hearing protection while hunting. I bought my first set of hearing aids yesterday. Enough said?

Math Teacher":2sn29od2 said:
I have never used hearing protection while hunting. I bought my first set of hearing aids yesterday. Enough said?
What?

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrMike":mpka1oei said:
I wear plugs and muffs at the range, but I've never worn hearing protection in the bush. I refuse to hunt with people who have muzzle brakes on their rifles, however. The blast is too severe for my ears. I have thought about electronic hearing protection. Some of the newer stuff looks pretty good. As mentioned, the Walker Game Ear looks to be worthwhile.

Same here. I double up at the range with plugs and muffs and wont even mow or shoot 22 without some sort of ear protection but I've never considered it while hunting. My eyes have started to require glasses when reading smaller print, but so far my ears are still tip top shape as far as I know.

I use plugs and muffs for competition shoots and range time.
I have custom plugs that I wear for hunting. I put them in before I shoot.

JD338

I would recommend MSA Sordin. I use them both for hunting and when shooting at the range.
The slim design makes them easy to wear all day.
They may become a bit warm during summer but the alternative of having active in-ear protectors is at present much more expensive so for me it’s a good solution.
http://m.us.msasafety.com//Hearing-Prot ... fs/Supreme[emoji768]-Pro-X-Earmuff/p/000090007600001028

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Good contribution for your first post. Welcome aboard. Those do look to be good muffs. Thank you for the intel.

Thanks, I have been a silent follower for a while, soaking up knowledge about the cartridges I load myself.
But in this field I actually felt I had some good input.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I wear the best hearing protection I can buy when shooting targets or other. I even wear them when mowing the lawn. When hunting I do not. I need to hear what is around me, and seldom do I fire more than one or two shots in a season. I am hearing impaired but will take the chance for a few shots each season. If I bird hunted where I would be shooting more I would, but I don't hunt birds, just big game.

Back