'17 Prairie Moose

super-7

Handloader
Jun 27, 2009
Well guys I haven't been on here much in the last 6 months , I pop in and check threads now and then. Mostly on the hunting forum some on the reloading forum.
Been real busy with work and also playing a more active roll with my BIL's farm. This was a hectic fall, between work farming and weather.
So after finally drawing a bull tag I set out to get one with my bow. And while I didn't get as many days in the field as I would have liked I had opportunities and one way or another didn't get it done.
My best chance came on the day after Canadian thanksgiving, I called in a pretty nice 45" bull to 30 yrds. Then I flubbed the shot , I went over and over it in my head still don't know how I did it but I did. Like most great hunters I wanted to blame my equipment,lol, but at home I put 3 arrows in a 2" group at 40 yrds. Ba humbug.
My next 2 opportunities had bulls hang up just out of my range and one errant breeze that sent another on the run. With last Sunday being my last time for bow hunting and calling prime time about 15 days past. On Sunday I called in 2 cows and 3 calves , in separate areas no bulls with them, over all it was a good day and the cow with one calf hung around inside 40 yrds for not quite an hour.. I love live decoys!! Lol

Fast forward to yesterday and I was determined to get a bull before the gong show known as the first weekend of rifle season began. I was out an hour before daylight and in a ravine where I had been seeing moose. I jumped 3 bulls from their bed at first light and never got a shot, but with fresh snow and persistence it took 6 hrs and I finally managed to relocate them.
Once again I spooked them from their beds before getting into a spot I could shoot from , but this guy stopped to look back at just over 200 yrds . I shot from kneeling and put one thru both lungs he went another 50 yrds . He started to wobble and I put one more in to be sure, collected my thoughts said a little thank you to the man upstairs.
Then the work begins as per usual.
0e9adf2ecd57d4a20ee2dc77a3721b27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking moose! Congratulations. Your persistence did pay off.

Did I read that right...200 yards with a bow?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5shot":1bfb49ed said:
Did I read that right...200 yards with a bow?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
No I worded that poorly , bow season ended Oct 31, rifle opens Nov 1. But it was quiet because a Tuesday most guys are at work. This Saturday will see many more people out .
I finally blooded the 300 Weatherby using 180 inter-bonds & RL-22.

I was hoping for a 200 yard "William Tell" :) . Seriously, that is a cool looking Moose. "Prairie Moose" is something I haven't heard of. Is that a "wet country" critter too? I have visions of that moose sharing the pasture with an Angus. Whats your country like? I am a "flatlander" to the bone but several hundred miles south of the border. CL

Congratulations and good job on keeping at it.

I find that's what usually seals the deal for me, just keeping at it.

Guy

cloverleaf":3e3yit9o said:
I was hoping for a 200 yard "William Tell" :) . Seriously, that is a cool looking Moose. "Prairie Moose" is something I haven't heard of. Is that a "wet country" critter too? I have visions of that moose sharing the pasture with an Angus. Whats your country like? I am a "flatlander" to the bone but several hundred miles south of the border. CL

Where I live and hunt is about 1-1-1/2 south of where our northern boreal forest starts , its a mix of prairie,pasture and farm land.
We call them prairie moose cause they have ranged down from the bush / muskeg to the north. They have adapted well in this area with few predators in comparison to the north and west side of the province.

Excellent story and photo Super7 (Congratulations) and we also call them prairie Moose here in southern Saskatchewan.
A 180gr. pill out of a 300wby is very potent medicine :wink:!
I am sure you will be enjoying some fine table fare this coming winter.
I have eaten both northern Moose and Moose from the south and in my opinion grain & alfalfa fed Moose is the tastiest meat available :mrgreen:.

PS. Again congratulations on a very nice Bull.

Blessings,
Dan

Congratulations on a great moose. I have never even seen a moose in the wild. How fantastic it must be to actually hunt them and shoot one.

Dan

Back