Mucking out...

A

Anonymous

Since the absurdity of Daylight Savings time had me up at 0500...I decided to straighten up the garage a bit from the crush of fall hunting.

It dawns on me that being an "outdoors generalist" makes the pile of equipment a little on the unmanageable side- particularly in changeover seasons where all of it is in use.

For instance- I hunt big game in 3 seasons, fish in freshwater for 2 and through ice in 1, hunt upland game in 2 seasons...in addition to that, I hunt waterfowl (which takes a mountain of crap) and dabble in fly fishing, archery hunting, predator hunting and trapping. On top of that- I XC ski, mountain bike, camp and reload.

I'm not complaining mind you- my life is an embarrassment of riches in regard to outdoor opportunity.... but are there any other "generalists" out there wishing you had a garage that flushes?

hodgeman said:
For instance- I hunt big game in 3 seasons, fish in freshwater for 2 and through ice in 1, hunt upland game in 2 seasons...in addition to that, I hunt waterfowl (which takes a mountain of crap) and dabble in fly fishing, archery hunting, predator hunting and trapping. On top of that- I XC ski, mountain bike, camp and reload.

Poor baby LOL At least your wife isn't worried about you having an affair--you have no time! BTW, you forgot teaching your son how to do all of that, so he also has a ton of stuff mixed in with yours.

Seriously, congratulations Hodgeman, you live a life many here only dream about--good for you! I love waterfowl and upland for that matter, but waterfowl can get expensive. Do you have a boat and trailer and is it all camouflaged out ? Unless you are a serious waterfowl hunter, you dont realize how much equipment one can accumulate

Hodgeman I too believe you have a life that so many would find to be top shelf.
Actually I believe that most of us on this site have a blessed life as we all get to spend a considerable amount of time in the great outdoors :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Europe":r99huunr said:
t waterfowl can get expensive. Do you have a boat and trailer and is it all camouflaged out ? Unless you are a serious waterfowl hunter, you dont realize how much equipment one can accumulate

I'm pretty new to the water fowling scene... no fancy boat, just a yard sale canoe. We do have some really excellent water fowling opportunity here. The action is brief, but intense.

I have the best little marsh lake just a few minutes from the house. 10 min of paddling from the launch and I'm in duck heaven.

What can I tell ya. Been there. It takes a long drawn out process to get to where you finally see enough is too much. I'm comfortable now with a 5X6X8 hall closet that pretty much holds all I've decided I truly need, no matter where I go, or what I persue. It's stuffed to the gills, but it's in there.

No, I don't have all the gadgets & gizmos I used to have stockpiled. That's because I found, eventually, I really didn't need them. I learned to hunt/fish with what I knew I needed, what worked for me, and nothing more. Amazing how short that list became!

Bunnys, ground squirrels, Lopes to Moose, pan fish, trout, or salt water Kings & Grouper. It's in that closet !

Hodgeman, Gunner46

it is amazing at the number of things we "think" we need. I have found living on a boat certainly teaches one, what is needed and what is wanted are two completely different things.

My fathers brother was what we considered a little eccentric when I was young but as I grew older I found I had more and more respect for him. He lived in a small house/cabin with a small barn on a piece of land in the mountains, barely accessible by truck and sometimes only if it was a 4 wheel drive truck. He had 4 firearms, two rifles, a handgun and a shotgun one fishing pole, and a bible that belonged to my grandmother. I remember him taking me hunting and fishing via horse's into the mountains and after we built a fire each evening he would read passages from the bible and we "talked".
He lived a long and rich life, albeit a simple life. I learned a lot about "less is more" from my uncle.

Hodgeman, sorry I got a little off track here, my apologizes.

Europe":6054pjan said:
Hodgeman, Gunner46

it is amazing at the number of things we "think" we need. I have found living on a boat certainly teaches one, what is needed and what is wanted are two completely different things.

My fathers brother was what we considered a little eccentric when I was young but as I grew older I found I had more and more respect for him. He lived in a small house/cabin with a small barn on a piece of land in the mountains, barely accessible by truck and sometimes only if it was a 4 wheel drive truck. He had 4 firearms, two rifles, a handgun and a shotgun one fishing pole, and a bible that belonged to my grandmother. I remember him taking me hunting and fishing via horse's into the mountains and after we built a fire each evening he would read passages from the bible and we "talked".
He lived a long and rich life, albeit a simple life. I learned a lot about "less is more" from my uncle.

Hodgeman, sorry I got a little off track here, my apologizes.

As a famous American used to say ( John Wayne )(quote) Never apologize, It's a sign of Weakness.
Yes April I'm Back :grin:

Now For your delima Hodgeman, my grandson loves to rummage through all my fishing equipment and other things in the basement where I do all my reloading, stock work and general gun repairs and at sixteen is in total awe of the collection of gear.
I have tried my best to teach him about the great outdoors as much as I can. When he was younger he was more interested in team sports since his father passed when he was very young and his mother guided him in a different direction.
Now you can't keep him out of the outdoors and I'm loving teaching him about it.

Back