Game Wardens On The Ball

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
We went over to the cabin saturday evening to get a few things ready for when we go back for the rifle season..When we got there the old lock on the gate off the main road was being stubborn and we broke the key off in it, so we just busted it off with a hammer..It was a little after dark when we left and when we got back to the main road and started to pull out, the blue lights came on and pulled in front of us. He asked us who we were and what we were doing up there..We explained we owned land and a cabin up the road and he checked the truck for deer/bears.After he was satisfied we were legit, He said he's by there a few times a week and when he drove by a little while ago and noticed the gate was open and lock busted, he thought something was up, and they had been getting reports of poaching around there, so he parked and waited to see if someone came off the hill...Really great guy and good sense of humor..As required by protocol, my friend quickly informed him he had a concealed pistol and a CCW permit. The GW asked why he was carrying a pistol, and my friend said "Cuz you're to heavy to carry on my belt" the GW just laughed and said "good answer"..We told him about the problems we have with ATV road hunters going around the gate and slowly driving up and down the road during rifle season and he said if we text him the combination to the new lock, he'd make sure he was seen patrolling our road...Good to know they are out there..

The COs have a thankless job. Most that I know in this area are solid people who perform their work with integrity and a sense of professionalism. Sounds as if you have someone good in that area.

Seems like he was doing a good job indeed.

Glad that you posted this.

Guy

Glad to hear you have a good game warden in your woods. It is great that he was so quick on the ball with the broken lock. Sounds as though he is doing a LOT of patrolling and knows what is going on in the woods!

DrMike is right and this GW sounds like he is a candidate for a gift of jerky or donuts.

You have a good CO. Make sure you have a pot of chili on for him !

JD338

Over all in my 50 years of hunting I have that the COs on a whole are great people just trying to do a tough job.
The last couple of years however I have one particular young lad that thinks he is Marshall Dillion and that he will get ahead by being over the top :shock:.
He is quite young and I hope that he mellows out a bit :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Yeah, we told him to stop by anytime, there's always a pot of coffee on and plenty to eat...Although I think he was more interested in free use of the outhouse LOL and the fact that there is 2 public roads to access the trail that are about 4 miles apart and our cabin is smack in the middle, parking there to access the trail will save him a lot of walking......In the 40 years I've been hunting/fishing, I've had 7-8 encounters with them and can't recall a bad experience...Sometimes the young ones come out of the gate cocky and feeling like they have to prove themselves by showing their authority, but they soon realize you attract more flies with honey than vinegar, but I suspect that's the case in any law enforcement work.

Back