Hot Rut in Northern MN

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Minnesota firearms season opened Saturday, and my Wife, myself and several other hunter noted prime behavior in whitetail bucks. Wife witnessed 2 different bucks grunting steadily and following does. Also noted on game camera from Friday-Saturday night. I noted 2 different small bucks following does around also. Other hunters noted similar behavior and active scrape tending.

Looks like not quite to the peak breeding time, but we are definitely in the peak pre-rut which IMHO is the best time to be in the woods.

Hummmm, that's interesting here in Northern Maine there is not much happening yet ? We have only seen smaller bucks with does, just starting to scrape here , I am guessing we are still 10 days away from our rut so am surprised your so far ahead of us there in Mn ?
Good luck on a big one
E

I have seen similar pre-rut behavior of bucks chasing does earlier than expected in early December last season in Texas.

Glad to hear it's going so well for you. Can't say that here in N. Ohio. I haven't seen squat so far concerning any real rut behavior. Maybe it's been all the rain lately, who knows? Last year it took the 1st snow squall to break it loose and then right in the middle of it I saw more bucks (and Big bucks) in one day than I had for the prior month.

Sounds like your opportunity has definitely increased with the prime Rut going on right now. Our season here in Saskatchewan starts on the 20th and I am hoping for the same results.
I have not had a productive year to date but I am hoping to get out for a week of Whitetail and then at least 3 or 4 days of late Bull Moose :wink:
Thank you for the update and I hope that you fill those tags :wink: & please remember a photo or 2 is always nice :wink: .
Shoot straight, have fun and most of all be safe (y).

Blessings,
Dan

A buddy of mine lives in Big Lake, but hunts somewhere further north, though I don't know where. Sunday of opening weekend his daughter killed a spike, her first deer. So far I haven't heard any reports on any action for him.

Interesting....down around Granite falls (South 200+ miles) I would say things were winding down based on the reports I received and the Game camera pis from 3-4 weeks ago. Reports say very quiet in that area over the weekend. Seems backwards, don't it? Good luck!! CL

My buddy got a nice 8 pointer on Mille Lacs WMA Saturday. The buck was right behind a good sized doe. On private land just East of there, I saw a medium sized doe, that was followed 10 minutes later by a 2.5 year old 6 or 8 point buck. Neither crossed to our property. Sunday deer did not seem to be moving much, saw nothing. My buddies that are in camps further north said the cold snap Monday and Tuesday really got the deer moving and chasing. My friends girlfriend got her first buck on Monday. So I think we are definitely getting there.

Headed back up tomorrow night. We definitely had weather further North last weekend. My property is very heavy conifer cover, with food sources nearby. This may have had something to do with what I saw. Just the simple fact that does and bucks were thrown together into the same patch of heavy conifers and nature started to take it's course. Weather definitely did throttle movement, with definite peaks during calmer weather when the snow and freezing rain let up.

Weather was psychotic this weekend, so hard to say what was going on. -18 out my front door Friday morning, high of 20 through the whole weekend with wind. Only movement I noted until Sunday evening was strictly food/cover oriented. Deer all holed up in heavy conifer cover and going short distances to browse or the neighbors hostas.

Peak of out rut started on Wed, as far as Mature Bucks being out during daylight hours, Thanksgiving Day saw more big bucks tagged then the whole season with lots of sightings of hunters seeing full racked bucks with does, same for Friday , yesterday not quite as qood but still
Some way over 200 lbs dressed tagged.Best one from around us is a 272 lber Shot on Friday, another shot right here on Thursday was a 259 lber with heavy wide rack with double drop tines!
But mostly standard 8/10 pointers that are plain jane 5" bases and around 20"×20 square (beam lenght x width.
We are still after an old smasher that will be in the 240/260 class if we can get him upended this week of Black Powder????

CL,
Here is what a good one looks like around here? Nice mature 5 1/2 year old buck killed Saturday. Not sure how this compares to your deer, but Maine does have big Whitetails.IMG_1570.JPG

Here is another one from today 240lberIMG_1571.JPG Nice heavy rack
Again older mature deer, 6" circumference at base,12" G3s! lots of points , just a little narrow 20"
But he has everything else. The real deal right there. Saskatchewan sized Whitetails right here in my backyard!

Another beauty, Earle. You're growing them big up in Maine. No doubt that is a proud hunter.

35 Whelen":w84flwa4 said:
CL,
Here is what a good one looks like around here? Nice mature 5 1/2 year old buck killed Saturday. Not sure how this compares to your deer, but Maine does have big Whitetails.

that Buck Rack is almost as wide as my deer was long. :shock:
a couple of beasts to be sure. CL

Back