Tag Soup

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I got back yesterday from Montana and have to say it was fantastic trip.
The sights and grandeur of the entire west is unbelievable unless you can experience it first hand.
I went out a week early to get adjusted to the change in altitude and try to do some scouting and find out about the area I was going to be hunting in.
My knee didn't let me down the whole time I was running around in the mountains but my legs and lower back did because I didn't have time to get them in shape after the surgery. The best I could do was 3 miles up in the mountains and then the 3mi back out for a total of 6mi.
To have been successful I would have at least had to get 10mi back in the mountain since that is where the Elk went after the ranchers pushed the cattle off the summer range the week before the season started. I would have had to pack in and stay up in the mountain camping out to have been successful.
So I decide to concentrate on the areas I could reach which meant a slim chance for an Elk and a better chance for a Mule deer or Whitetail buck.

Though I didn't fill either my Elk or Deer tag was partly my choice. I saw plenty of game but the Elk and Mule deer were on private property and unshootable. I did have opportunities for white tail does but I can kill them at my leisure here at home.
The one Elk I saw off private land was a cow at 792yds ranged with only the neck and head uncovered and a Spike crossing the road in front of my truck.
The Cow was watching a bunch of hunters that were moving around in their camp over the ridge from me and down below her. She spooked and disappeared. I decided to try and find where she went while R_P Winkle glassed the ridge. ( I'll tell you in another post about R_P)

I was set up in a drainage where I had saw a nice whitetail buck the day before and I was pleased to wake up to a couple of inches of fresh snow.
I got to where I wanted to set up to watch an escape route and as it got around legal shooting time a whitetail doe stepped out of the cedars full broad side at about 100yds. She kept looking behind her so I thought there was a chance of a buck behind her. She was totally unaware I was there when someone stopped on the road above me and pulled a Chinese fire drill slamming every door on the truck alerting the doe.
I also had caught a flash of movement to my left just before the truck doors started slamming shut. The doe looked straight at me and I knew I was busted but she just stood there since she wasn't sure just what I was or if I was a danger. Then who ever was on the forest road above me got back in the truck slamming all the doors again and she spooked and took off for safer places. Figuring that ruined my spot I decided to see what was moving off to my left and looked for tracks in the snow.
I found tracks alright about 20yds from where I stood and it made the hair stand on the back of my neck.
The tracks were as big as the palm of my hand and my first thoughts were Lion tracks since there were Mt Lions in the area I was hunting and I was warned by one of the area guides too look out for them. So I took a picture and left the area going back to the outfitters to find out just what was stalking ME.
The first thing Donna ( my Lady Outfitter) said when she saw the picture I took was Wolf.
That spooked me so bad I couldn't go back into that area the rest of the day and choose to explore a different area on another ridge.
The rest of my week and a half hunt was uneventful except for the last day when again we were blessed with fresh snow and R_P didn't come down off the mt. till late and the snow had melted and made the road out a greasy dangerous mess and it took us an hour and a half to go a mile with the truck in low 4X4 and the tranny in first gear with the motor idling the whole way so the wheels wouldn't spin or slide out from under us. There are no guard rails on mt forest roads. Going over the edge would have meant a complete roll over and possible loss of life and a totaled truck.
I'll post some pictures in the picture section so you can see some of the country I was hunting in.

Attachments

• KIMG0437.jpg
    KIMG0437.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 734
Glad you made it home safe and enjoyed your hunt. I just got home from an unsuccessful mule deer hunt in Arizona, so as my late father used to say " wait until next year".

And here's to tag soup!

Sounds as if it was a great adventure, Rodger. Glad you were able to go. Yeah, there are wolves in that area; but they don't generally bother anyone. They can spook the game, however.

It was a great adventure DrMike and to be honest I don't think a Wolf that close had any good intentions in mind. Just glad it wasn't a Grizzly Bear.
Roland and I had a good time hunting together and enjoyed each others company in the field and in the lodge.

Ahhh, no fresh meat for the freezer...but great memories for you and Roland. Congratulations!
Duane

truck driver for what it's worth when I hunted Idaho by Salmon I saw Wolf tracks every day fresh single set never a pack or pair.
In Colorado on one Mountain trail on a ridge line I would hike in on in the dark I would see a fresh Lion track every morning never gave me any concern since I was carrying my 300 H&H till one night I heard a twig snap behind me and the next sound was the safety coming off my 300.
I really never worry about Wolf's or Mountain Lion's because I feel there more afraid of me than I am of them.
I like to take a nap in the middle of the day some times and in Colorado in the thickets I never would because of all the Bear scat. I always looked for a place with a view and then snoozed.
Just FYI I always carry tire chains for the rear and cable chains for the front tires not to get me into a hunting place but out and they work great for traction and braking.
I am jealous of your trip as this is the first time in many years I did not get to go because of work, I love the country and the smell of sage. Sorry you did not connect but I'm sure you still felt alive in Montana's Big Country.

1100 Remington Man":2twxwdnw said:
truck driver for what it's worth when I hunted Idaho by Salmon I saw Wolf tracks every day fresh single set never a pack or pair.
In Colorado on one Mountain trail on a ridge line I would hike in on in the dark I would see a fresh Lion track every morning never gave me any concern since I was carrying my 300 H&H till one night I heard a twig snap behind me and the next sound was the safety coming off my 300.
I really never worry about Wolf's or Mountain Lion's because I feel there more afraid of me than I am of them.
I like to take a nap in the middle of the day some times and in Colorado in the thickets I never would because of all the Bear scat. I always looked for a place with a view and then snoozed.
Just FYI I always carry tire chains for the rear and cable chains for the front tires not to get me into a hunting place but out and they work great for traction and braking.
I am jealous of your trip as this is the first time in many years I did not get to go because of work, I love the country and the smell of sage. Sorry you did not connect but I'm sure you still felt alive in Montana's Big Country.
Thanks for the response. I wasn't afraid just being cautious since I'm unfamiliar with these carnivores in the wild. I would have loved to have gotten it in my cross hairs since it is legal to shoot wolves in MT with a tag in your position and he would have made a nice rug or throw for the couch. It did make my hunt more interesting.
Having the Cow Moose trot up the road in front of me for a half mile was interesting also one morning as I was trying to get up in the mountains.
The tire chains was something I didn't know I would or might need or I would have had a set with me and they would have came in handy.

Glad to hear you had a fantastic trip. However, I am sorry you didn't fill your tag. At least you have some good memories and stories to tell. I am hoping I can make a trip out west sometime in the next couple of years.
Dan

NYDAN":2b73dp6f said:
Glad to hear you had a fantastic trip. However, I am sorry you didn't fill your tag. At least you have some good memories and stories to tell. I am hoping I can make a trip out west sometime in the next couple of years.
Dan
Thanks Dan. To be honest I could have killed several whitetail doe but didn't want to ruin my chances for an Elk or Mule deer.
The memories are ingrained and will last a life time.
Hunting in such a manse area can be overwhelming and you need to stick to a plan and concentrate on what you see and work that area, I just couldn't get back far enough to where they were. Even so I still saw game to shoot at.

Due to the injury and surgery I didn't have time to get into the physical shape I needed to be in. I had lost 10lbs prior to going out and another 10lbs while I was there in 8 days of hunting. More then once I had sweated threw my outer clothing including my orange game vest and I wasn't dressed heavy.

The guided hunters saw a lot more Elk to shoot at but then they had the privilege of hunting on private leased property.
The first time out I would recommend a guided hunt with an outfitter like UCO since they are good and have the hunting rights to some good property and I don't know of any of their clients who didn't see Elk or have a chance at killing one. Some pasted up on a Cow because they wanted a trophy Bull. I think that after what I know now even a Cow is a trophy and as far as that goes any Elk is.

Roger
Sounds like you had a great hunt non the less.
We are planning on going to MT next year for a combo elk deer rifle hunt in the Lolo mountains.

JD338

Rodger I am glad that you had a great time and that you considered it a great success even with not tagging out (y) .
I many times think of my time hunting with DrMike and gerry being in the mountains they are some of my best hunting memories :wink: .
I am happy that you made it home safely and can not wait until we get to see the many beautiful photographs you must have.
Thank you for the post and story!!

Blessings,
Dan

You two had a terrific western adventure! So impressed that you made the trip, made the effort. It can be a daunting task to set up a hunt, somewhere so far from home, and then plunge in. Particularly unguided.

Glad you enjoyed, and yes, you've got some great memories of a great hunt. Congrats on that.

Filling the tag. It happens, and it doesn't. I've certainly failed to kill game on a number of hunts, even with tremendous effort put in.

Good job!

Guy

JD338,Dan and Guy thank you for the response.
Had I been able to get in shape I would have completed my quest and scored on an Elk.
My 56 years of hunting experiences served me well just the old body let me down due to being out of shape due to injuries received before the hunt.
Even so I still got into areas without a GPS and returned to my truck with only using common sense and land marks along with the sun to navigate by the first three days I was there scouting the area alone.
One day Rol and I were trying to find a location near where he had killed a cow elk and we got turned around. There was heavy cloud cover and the sun was reflecting off the clouds and made it appear that we were traveling east instead of west. We finally figured it out and got to the drop off point but then a snow squaw came up creating a white out and we were 15-20mi back off the main road so we gave up and headed out since it wouldn't have been good to get stuck out where we were.
That night we got 4" of good tracking snow but mid mourning I got busted by a whitetail while trying to skirt along the top of a bench since it had warmed and the snow was melting and sticking to my boots making a crunching sound as I walked.

Well that sucks Rodger. I have never been able to acquire a taste for tag soup and if all else failed I would shoot a rabbit or a quail --anything!

Did you see that mulie Fotis shot and then drove right up to it--now that works for me, so I recommend next year that you hunt Wy with Fotis and if all else fails he will put you in an area where a speed goat is available to you and you will not go home empty handed.

Or head further north--and west, like Guy did and try your hand at Grizzly hunting

Sounds like you and Rol had a good time and saw some great country and that takes some of the sting off of such a long trip with no Elk meat riding home with you.

All joking aside Rodger, I have returned home many times with nothing for the freezer

If you need some recipes for that tag I have a few.

They tend to go good with shoe leather, salt, and parsnip broth.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince":351636mw said:

Vince

Sounds pretty tame, Vince. :?

DrMike":2en5wqow said:
Vince":2en5wqow said:

Vince

Sounds pretty tame, Vince. :?

Of course some tobasco sauce will make it just right. Especially if you use it as a marinade for 24 to 48 hours.

Back