Afternoon Stand Question

icallitmaize

Beginner
Oct 27, 2017
How long do you guys stay in the stand when the deer come in on you right at dark? The stand is in a travel pinch between a field and steep bluff but there are a few oaks in there that get fed at times. Today, the deer were on the move right at dark and set up shop 20-40 yards out from stand.....I stayed way past dark hoping not to bump them too hard...what do you guys do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With you on trying not to bump them.

Could you move your stand 30 yards and still catch them traveling and give yourself enough room to slip out?

I’d also consider a ground blind in that situation.

Definitely don’t bump them.

I don't have a lot of experience with white tails but they are jumpy critters compared to mule deer and black tails. They are more likely to run then elk in my limited experience.
Routine farming doesn't tend to alarm them too much, but getting on the ground and mixing it up sure changes their behavior. We have several key spots we have either set up ground blinds or have built permanent box blinds for the lease hunters. The blinds that force more bumps as you leave cause the bucks to go nocturnal very quickly. Not great science but we've kinda confirmed this with a high powered spotlight. Bump them a few times and they won't be back until after dark.
In your case wondering if some pre season trail clearing would provide a quick quiet route out avoiding the feeding area.?

I never worried much about it. I figured after dark they couldn't see me and I could be anything. As long as they weren't standing directly underneath me, I just climbed down as quietly as I could and walked out without stopping.

I hate to bump them from a stand because it trains them to notice that we hide in them. I'll leave early or wait until they clear out. Sometimes up to an hour wait. It's not so bad waiting because it gives me a chance to see what comes out.

Lol, I had one problem stand, and would carry up something I could toss away from the tree to get them looking elsewhere

Thank you for the relies men.

Here's the set up...river bluff runs down the west boundary. The shaded area is our property. The deer skirt the field...most of the bedding area is east. Neighbors to the north have big open timber.

I hunt this stand on a north wind or an east wind. Walk in from the road in the SW corner.

39e73701082314f86b14d41dfc83dc4e.jpg

Back