Kentucky rifle opener

chrispbrown27

Beginner
Sep 12, 2011
Opening morning is upon us here in Kentucky. My youngest nephew was unable to come down this weekend, so for the first time in 6 years I will be hunting alone on opening day. I am looking forward to it but really wish I had one of the kids going too.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

We are each pulling for you, Chris. Hunting alone isn't the same as taking a younger person, but it can have its own rewards. Here's hoping for you.

Chris it is to bad that your nephew can’t make this weekend :(.
I am you will still enjoy being in the outdoors :wink: .
Have fun, Shoot straight & most of all be safe (y).
Remember photos are always enjoyable :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Well, it wasn't the worst but certainly wasn't the best. One small buck around 6:30 am and another small buck around 1:30. Didn't even pick up the rifle. Tomorrow I am going to try another spot.

Last ten minutes of shooting light a doe and two fawns pop out. I put the cross hairs on the doe and she is still coming so I scan over the fawns. As I scan back to her I find staring straight at me with one of the fawns directly behind her. So I freeze and hold off. She turns and begins to trot away. No tail up but she was nervous. So I swing out in front of her, lead her a little and squeeze a shot off. Swing the gun back down from the recoil to see nothing but the tails of the two fawns. I scan around but find nothing. I let things calm down for ten minutes and head down. I walked over to wear she was standing and begin the search. After 30 minutes of searching I found no hair, no blood, no running tracks.... nothing. I walked the field back and forth over and over again and cut in and followed the creek. Best I figured I lead her too much and just taught her a lesson. Not a good end to the opening weekend.

Go get 'em!! It's too bad he can't make it down..As I get older, just being with friends and family for a week in deer camp is worth more than bagging a deer..Ours doesn't come in until Monday, but heading out Saturday...Best of luck to you!

Well, it has been a rough season and it is quickly coming to an end. My nephew got a shot at a small buck on Saturday evening. I saw the hit... right behind his front leg. The deer hunched up, tucked that onside leg, tucked its tail in, and ran. We sat down to calm down and give it some time. After a bit we walked to where it was standing and started to search. Not a drop off blood. Not a bit of fur. Not a spot where it kicked. Called in assistance and the three of us looked for 2 hours and found nothing. It's impossible to track something without any sign. I hate to lose one myself and I really hate it when the kids lose one. We hunted Sunday but had to call it early so he could head home. It looks like that might be it for his hunting this year.
I managed to kill a doe on Sunday evening. Just a yearling but I have meat in the freezer. Season goes out Sunday and I am off until Monday so hopefully I can put at least one more in the freezer before it's over.

Well my season ended with a bang. This morning the land owner drove out into the field to check on his well pumps, which pretty much ended my morning. Went out and talked to him then gathered my things up and headed home. Back out at 2pm. Around 3:30 a doe comes trotting down the levee in front of me about 200 yards away. She didn't give me much time to think and disappeared pretty quickly. Then I saw the land owner driving out again. This time he saw me and turned around. I assumed my hunt was pretty much ruined but I sat tight anyway. About 4:45 another doe popped out. I watched her as the shooting light faded. I hoped she would make her way toward me. It quickly became apparent that she wouldn't make it any closer before it got too dark. Knowing how far the levee was from me straight across, I guessed that she was right at 200 yards. Having never shot at anything over 160 yards I debated with myself on whether to take the shot. I settled the rifle on the rest and the cross hairs on her neck. I stared at that doe for what seemed like hours. Finally I decided to take the shot. I settled on her neck, took a breath, and squeezed the trigger. She dropped at the shot.... not even a twitch. I sat there shocked at the way it all happened, staring through the scope at the lump on the ground. When I was satisfied she wasn't moving, I started stepping of distance. When I stepped beside her the count was 261 yards.... I never dreamed she was that far off. The shot was perfect, passed through her throat and slipped out behind her shoulder. With roughly ten minutes left in the season I had managed to make the longest shot I had ever taken on the biggest doe I had seen in three years. I had hoped to end the season with three deer in the freezer and I managed to do it. The only thing that would have made it better was if my nephew had managed to take his deer too.

Congratulations, Chris. Looks as if you put together the right shot when it counted.

Back